Testing in Firefox on Linux [1Password X now available at https://addons.mozilla.org !]

Comments

• nberman
    nberman
    Community Member
    edited October 2017

+1 for [edit: standalone] Firefox support. I plan to do a full switch from Chrom(e|ium) to FF once v57 lands, but 1Password is gonna keep me from doing so on my Linux setups.

Thanks for the great work!

• mkasu
    mkasu
    Community Member

Same here! Firefox 57 looks great to far.

(But I also feel bad for AgileBits trying to keep up with the FOTM browser ;).)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

We will be happy when Firefox steadies out on massive changes, but we are also excited about how closely the Firefox browser extensions match Chromes. This should help us to publish a release of 1Password for Firefox fairly quickly, once we a ready to expand to another browser.

--
    Andrew Beyer (Ann Arbor, MI)
    Lifeline @ AgileBits

• nomad55
    nomad55
    Community Member

+1 for Firefox Support. Since I'm working on a linux machine, it would be great to use an open source browser instead of chrome

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nomad55: I'd like to use 1Password X in Firefox too. Hopefully we can bring it there in the future.

In the mean time, while our focus for 1Password X is the stable version of Chrome, Chromium is a great open source browser, and 1Password X beta works great there:

https://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/download-chromium

Cheers! :)

• jfredrickson
    jfredrickson
    Community Member

Please count me in for Firefox testing whenever it happens!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

If and when the time comes, I'm sure we'll announce it. :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@EricKerby

Another interested Firefox beta tester here! The combination of Firefox and 1Password across the Linux, Mac, Windows, Android, and iOS devices I use (yes I use them all) is going to be fantastic, time-saving, and the most secure/consistent way to browse the web.

I'm the same way. I have to ask you, are you able to save a bookmark on Firefox on iOS in any folder? It seems like I can only save bookmarks in the mobile folder of iOS and I can't pick on that I already have set it. For instance, if I want to bookmark a web page related to Music, I can't save it to my music folder I have in bookmarks. Or am I missing something?

• Thanks for all the Firefox love, everyone. I'm pretty excited about Firefox Quantum as well so I see where you're love is coming from :)

Since we all want Firefox support I thought it would be helpful if I shared why it doesn't exist yet and when we're hoping to add support. It really all boils down to time and focus. Thankfully there should be no technical limitations as Firefox Quantum supports the Web Extensions api, so when the time comes it should be relatively straight forward.

The next natural question is when, which is harder to answer. :) There are a few things I really want finished in 1Password X in Chrome before extending our browser support. The main one is the ability to access your data while offline. We just published a beta that makes this possible, so we're getting closer. There are a few other goodies that we want to add next, and after that my expectation is Firefox support will become our next target.

Anyway, sorry I can't give you any dates or anything concrete just yet. I wish I could share more but it's too easy for things to change and cause us to miss any dates I would share, so I'm being careful not to over promise. :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@dteare I rather have it done right, than done fast and have issues. It’s great that 1Password X is getting off line support too! That’s awesome!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Same here. Had an interesting conversation with Dave earlier about where 1Password X has been and where it's going. Really excited to watch it grow even more over the coming weeks and months. :chuffed:

• jacksonblend
    jacksonblend
    Community Member

@dteare Thanks for giving us a little detail at least. Offline support in X is a big deal for me, too (though in my little world, I'd still prioritize Firefox support). For now, at least, I have the CLI and web versions to fall back on until Firefox is fully supported on Linux.

Note that Firefox did add a few new APIs to WebExtensions when they implemented them... so if your devs are feeling extra-generous when they get around to implementing... consider integration with containers / contexts. Again, I love testing and submitting bug reports, so... I'd be happy to play with the extension even before it's "ready".

• Thank you, @jacksonblend! That's very kind of you.

I heard Jamie (one of our extension developers) talking about containers and contexts once and I'm looking forward to playing with them more once the time comes. I just finished one of the remaining items required to publish Offline Cache to our official release channel, so we're one more step closer than we were when we started the day. We'll get there. Sooner than later I hope :)

• binaranomaly
    binaranomaly
    Community Member

+1 for Firefox

• k4ch0
    k4ch0
    Community Member

Excellent notice also, +1 on Firefox support on Linux.

• Roger that! 🙂

• lsgrep
    lsgrep
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Hi, is it too difficult to support Firefox?

• AventuraViper
    AventuraViper
    Community Member

@lsgrep I don't think it is "too difficult", more that the extension is still new and Agilebits want to get it to a certain feature set and level of polish before they start complicating development by adding in Firefox support.

Firefox's new webextension APIs are good and hopefully cover everything the extension requires, but there will be some code tweaks needed for it to work properly. For example, currently the extension can be installed in Firefox but doesn't seem to be able to get login state from 1password.com

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AventuraViper: Couldn't have said it better myself! :)

@lsgrep: Indeed, while WebExtensions helps a great deal, there are still enough differences that a single extension doesn't work in both "out of the box". We'll have to do additional development and testing to support other browsers. But it's definitely something we'd like as well. ;)

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Hello Firefox friends!

I think you'll be excited to know that we have an internal build of 1Password X running on Firefox Nightly already and we’re almost ready to share it with adventurous testers.

If you're interested in being one of the first people to get your hands on our new Firefox beta, please sign up on our special mailing list.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

Signed up. Thanks!!!

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

No – thank you, @prime! We greatly appreciate you testing out our new betas!

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@beyer 1.6.0 is amazing! I can’t wait to see what the Firefox version brings.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

@prime: Thanks, we are extremely happy with it too!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Signed up after reading the blog post.

Will this Firefox version run on all the major OS's supported by Mozilla? (Windows, macOS, Linux) Or only specific ones?

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

@XIII: Thanks for signing up! 🔥🦊🤘

There shouldn't be any limitations based on your operating system, but we will likely have a relatively high minimum version of Firefox required to run 1Password X. This is due to us using APIs that are only available in some of the latest versions of Firefox. Assuming you get the latest version of Firefox directly from Mozilla (possibly the beta version to start), then you shouldn't have any issues! 😁

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Currently running latest stable version of Firefox (59.0.1).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Great! We should have more to share with regard to compatibility shortly. :)

• kemko
    kemko
    Community Member

I signed up too. Finally, you did it!

This discussion has been closed.