1Password doesn't pick up new entries without exiting/logging in again?

I use 1Password on Mac, iPhone, and Windows.

On the Mac and the iPhone it just works.

On Windows it kind of just works..

What I'm finding is that on Windows I seem to have to totally exit 1Password and login from fresh before new entries are picked up and synchronized.

It goes without saying that the computer has internet connectivity, but being a laptop it does tend to get put to sleep a lot v being restarted.

Am I missing something?

1Password Version: 6.8.496
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: 1Password Cloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@musicwallaby - sorry for the trouble you're having with the Windows portion of your 1Password ecosystem, and thanks for the details. Can I ask: are you using any sort of proxy or VPN or antivirus or other internet filtering software on your Windows PC? That's quite often the case of sync latency or other problems.

• musicwallaby
    musicwallaby
    Community Member

Thanks @Lars it's running Sophos antivirus but otherwise no, no proxy or anything like that and as much as everyone says "Yeah my internet connection is unfiltered" I know it is because I'm the guy who looks after it (corporate) plus it does it at home or on any random guest wi-fi I'm using.

To expand a little I don't mean I add a password on the Mac and it isn't on the Windows box immediately, I mean like today where I've had my Windows laptop on all day and I came to login to a website where I'd created an entry on the Mac last night and it just wasn't in the Windows 1Password in spite of me having been using the laptop all day.

I exited 1Password completely (tray icon too), logged back in and there it was.

It's happened a few times so seems to be a consistent issue v a one-off.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@musicwallaby: Thanks for getting in touch! Do you by any chance have proxy or other specific network settings that might differ from a home user? We’ve made some improvements already, but we’re continuing to investigate issues where the Windows app is not able to receive sync notifications in some environments. If you create a new test item in the app when you’re running into this issue, are you able to force it to sync that way by connecting to upload the change?

• musicwallaby
    musicwallaby
    Community Member

@brenty I can try that, is there any way to force a sync other than totally exiting the app?

Just to confirm there is no proxy, there is Sophos antivirus which I guess does some web inspection but AFAIK it doesn't run as a local proxy.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

If you create a new test item in the app when you’re running into this issue, are you able to force it to sync that way by connecting to upload the change?

I can try that, is there any way to force a sync other than totally exiting the app?

@musicwallaby: That should do it. Definitely let me know if that doesn't work though. We've made some improvements to how 1Password recovers from network issues in the latest beta, and I'd be curious if those help in your case...but I would caution that it's at a fairly early stage as we prepare for 7.0. I really don't know offhand Sophos does anything with proxy. I know they have in the past, but I've seen so many different versions. Worth checking into their network settings. "Web inspection", however, unless they've changed it substantially, could very well be the problem, as it breaks SSL/TLS by performing a person-in-the-middle attack on your connection; when you use it, you're allowing them to view all of your traffic that is supposed to be end-to-end encrypted for security — and privacy.

• musicwallaby
    musicwallaby
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Same thing, Apple sync is flawless whilst Windows sync is unacceptable.

I have to exit 1Password on Windows using the system tray icon and relaunch it again for sync to happen.

Locking and unlocking doesn't do anything at all.

Diagnostic bundle is with support as of 5 mins back #JCY-52666-891 (please don't reference my name or company on this thread).

• musicwallaby
    musicwallaby
    Community Member

Still got the same issue :'( Ticket logged #JCY-52666-891 (please don't reference my name or employer on this thread).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@musicwallaby: I'm sorry that you're still having trouble. We definitely won't post any personal information about you here on a public forum. We go to a lot of trouble to remove it when people do themselves! And that's what the Support IDs are for: finding your ticket without you having to give out personally identifiable information. We'll be in touch via email shortly. :)

ref: JCY-52666-891

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@musicwallaby: I've merged your other post into this discussion so we're not trying to have the same conversation in multiple places, as that can be confusing for all involved. We'll take a look at the information you sent us and get back to you via email as soon as we can.

• joma92807
    joma92807
    Community Member

Same issue here as the top post. Interesting that improvement was cited above, but that doesn't seem to have helped. This really should be prioritized. Would be very helpful if you can provide some insight. What about a "Sync Now" button so we don't have to logout of the app (as suggested in another similar thread)?

Window sync lags well behind MacOS/IOS (which are basically near real-time). As a matter of fact, this morning I measured exactly 2:24 hours:minutes to update. On the same machine!
    My configuration:
    MBP late 2016, 10.13.3 (17D102)
    1Password6, 6.8.7 (687006)

Parallels 13 Pro, 13.3.0 (43321)
    Win10 Pro, 1709 (OS Build 16299.192)
    1Password6, v6.8.496 1520864790

Note: Not on corporate network, on my home network. No VPN in use.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Same issue here as the top post. Interesting that improvement was cited above, but that doesn't seem to have helped.

@joma92807: It has helped a lot of people, and there's more to come. But we're not going to make a bunch of big sweeping changes at once since those could have unwanted side effects for those who weren't having trouble in the first place.

This really should be prioritized.

It is.

Would be very helpful if you can provide some insight.

We do. We're very open about the work we're doing in this area, and you'll note many changes related to networking and proxies in our release notes all along the way.

What about a "Sync Now" button so we don't have to logout of the app (as suggested in another similar thread)?

Is that really what you want? I think most of our customers would rather we work on improving the logic to work around Windows networking issues so they don't even have to think about this — especially those who have actually had trouble. We believe our efforts are better spent on that.

Window sync lags well behind MacOS/IOS (which are basically near real-time).

Yep. As you can imagine, we cannot use the same networking technologies in Windows that we do in macOS. They're very different beasts.

Note: Not on corporate network, on my home network. No VPN in use.

It doesn't matter. Any time the connection has to be renegotiated (especially after waking from sleep, changing networks, or disconnects due to interference by 3rd party software) we have to manage things so that 1Password can connect to the server again, but if we're too aggressive about that it will eat up too many system resources. I'm sorry that you're having problems with this, but our approach is to improve things carefully over time in response to actual issues which we can diagnose and work around rather than a more aggressive approach that can actually make things worse for everyone. Put another way, we'd rather tackle specific challenges in this area slowly and deliberately, resolving problems, than trying a shotgun approach which might help in some ways but cause more trouble in the long run when we introduce a bunch of bugs in the process.

I know it can be difficult to wait, so we do appreciate your patience. And you're always welcome to try the alpha of 1Password 7, which others have found to be a huge improvement in this area and in others as well. Cheers! :)

• joma92807
    joma92807
    Community Member

What about a "Sync Now" button so we don't have to logout of the app (as suggested in another similar thread)?

Is that really what you want? I think most of our customers would rather we work on improving the logic to work around Windows networking issues so they don't even have to think about this — especially those who have actually had trouble. We believe our efforts are better spent on that.

Actually, seems like a reasonable and quick way to help those of us that continue to have issues, while the complexities of windows networking issues are figured out... I'm using a very long master password (as I'm sure you can appreciate) - a sync button is such an easy way to make us happy:)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@joma92807

a sync button is such an easy way to make us happy:)

It isn't, really. We'd like to make all our users happy, but since some of the feature requests that we get are literally in diametric opposition to other requests from different users, that just isn't possible -- even if we decided to spend our time trying to fulfill every user request we receive.

Instead of that, what we try to focus on and spend limited developer cycles on are the issues which are most important to the greatest number of users while keeping in mind security considerations, other priorities on the table and a host of other factors. We're glad to hear you're using a long and strong Master Password, keep it up! And we appreciate the time you've taken to share your observations and requests with us. Thanks. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@joma92807: Given that, as I mentioned above, we've already got a newer version that addresses this (from what we've heard from customers using it), I don't think it makes sense for us to go back and add a sync button (which would need to be more than just a graphical button; it would need to be coded to do a bunch of stuff as well) to the older version. Have you tried it?

This discussion has been closed.