No database or vault files in Time Machine backups

bjhausman
bjhausman
Community Member

I was using 1Password6 in Mac OS X 10.5.5 and backing up with Time Machine to WD external drive. My Macbook Pro died, so I am using my son's late 2010 Macbook Pro with OS X 10.5.5 to try to restore my 1Password database. However, I cannot find any 1Password files in my Time Machine backup. I have searched in the System and Library folders using file extensions .agilekeychain, opvault, .1p4_zip and keywords "1Password", "agile", agilebits", vault, but find no files. Help, 1Password has every piece of data I need to live my life!

1Password Version: 1Password 6
Extension Version: 6.8.6
OS Version: OSX 10.5.5
Sync Type: Internal drive

Comments

• Hi @bjhausman,

I'm sorry to hear that you suffered a harddrive failure. We can certainly help you locate the files in the TimeMachine backup. However, 1Password 6 does not run on OS X 10.5. Can you help us and get the the version number of 1Password that you're using? Once we have the version number we can give you the location of the files you would need.

Rick

• bjhausman
    bjhausman
    Community Member

Rick,

I checked and I was running 1Password 6.8.3 at the time that I created the backup. Is that what you meant?

Barb

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bjhausman - In 1Password 6.8.3, your backup files location would be in one of two places. If you were using 1Password 6 from us (AgileBits), your backups would be in this location:

~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/

And if you were using 1Password from the Mac App Store, then your backups will be in this location:

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

Copy the most-recent of your backups out to your Mac's desktop, then, when you run 1Password for the first time, at the Welcome (new user) screen, click "More Options" and then "Restore from Backup." That should get you back up and running, but let us know if you have any questions or run into any issues.

• bjhausman
    bjhausman
    Community Member

I checked the Library and there was no folder for 1Password and no folder named Containers see attached screenshot.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

The thing that occurs to me is that there are actually three Library files, and the one you want is hidden by default.

One is just called Library, and sits at the top level of your hard drive, another is inside the System folder.

For the one you want use the Go menu in Finder and hold the Option( Alt) key. Th Go menu will then show you your personal Library folder (it isn't visible without pressing Option) and you should go there. Then follow Lars' instructions.

Note also that the 1Password 4 mention is correct even though you were using 1PW6. And also I think that you would not find anything in a search, as I believe Spotlight does not search your Library.

• bjhausman
    bjhausman
    Community Member

Thank you to the Community Moderator. You were absolutely right that the backup files were hidden, however the Go menu in Finder and Option( Alt) key only showed the hidden files on my hard drive and not on my backup drive. I ended up revealing all of the hidden files accessible vis the Finder using commands in the Terminal utility. I'd suggest that other users with the same problem search online for "MAC OS X: Show Hidden Files in [insert OS X version]" to find out the specific Terminal commands needed to reveal hidden files for their OS X version. Once they locate the files needed, they can then revert back to make the 'hidden' files invisible again.

• Thanks for letting us know, @bjhausman. If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.