1Password 7 for Windows Alpha 1 is here!

Comments

• gnarreb
    gnarreb
    Community Member

@MikeT: Diagnostics report mailed (zipped as the report had more than 200 MB!! Thanks Thomas

• Hi guys,

@mscrivo,

Thanks, we got the report.

The high CPU consumption is because 1Password is trying to open Native Messaging pipe but it can't and it is stuck in a loop. We're making a temporarily fix to avoid reconnecting right away and to wait a bit. A new update is coming soon after we test it.

For now, reboot your computer and see if that'll temporarily fix it.

The other thing is it is writing a log each time it fails to open the pipe, so that's why the logs are so big. For now, you can delete the large log files in your 1Password log folder via %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\logs. To get there, open Windows File Explorer and enter the directory in the address bar, it'll take you there.

ref: QXS-33963-454

@gnarreb,

Thanks, we got your email and will reply to it once we figure out what's going on.

ref: PTE-74277-265

• gnarreb
    gnarreb
    Community Member

@MikeT
    That's what I call resource minimizing: In Windows the diagnostics file was at 7 GB !!
    Thomas

• Hatclub
    Hatclub
    Community Member

I've upgraded my work desktop, and rebooted because I had to in order to get the extensions to work, and now (on 508) I kept getting a message box pop up saying:

1Password for Windows desktop has stopped working - A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program. [Close the program]

You click close, and it'd keep coming back every few seconds.

There was already a 1Password.exe running, I could open the main window, but it kept trying to spawn a second thread, it seems like, and crashing when it did so. I think it possibly upgraded to 508 as the machine rebooted, and then got stuck with 507 running on one thread and trying to spawn 508 on the second thread? - force exiting the running copy of 1password and restarting it seems to have fixed it, and my extensions are working.

This is win7 64-bit. Want a diagnostics report?

• Hi guys,

@gnarreb, we're sorry about that. It should be greatly reduced with the 508 update and we automatically clean up after 14 days but you can clear them out now if you want.

@Hatclub, what you saw was intentional, it was to see if it would give us more logs. We got enough information that we've figured out the true cause and fixed it in 510 update that is now available to everyone.

Please give 7.0.510 a try now and let us know if it looks good.

• pseudoelvis
    pseudoelvis
    Community Member

OK, the auto updater process fails because it cannot delete old copy.

I manually installed after killing process and using installer downloaded from the link @MikeT provided, and it updates to 7.0.507.

Restart, version is now 7.0.507, but I am immediately prompted to update to 7.0.510. I do so and it reverts me back to 6.8.496.

Rinse, spin, repeat.

I am using the Edge extension.

What gives here?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi and thank you for this great new release!

I found a bug in the "Type in Window" feature, that occurs when I auto-type words (usernames or passwords) having two or more identical letters nearby. My OS is Windows 10 Pro x64.

To make a test, create a new Login item with:

• Username=aaaaa
    • Password=bbbbb

Now auto-type username and password into some apps:

• Notepad: both are typed correctly
    • Notepad++: they are typed as "aa" and "bb"
    • Chrome Basic Auth form: they are typed as "aa" (sometimes "aaa") and "bb"
    • Firefox Basic Auth form: they are typed as "aa" and "bb"

I think you should put a "sleep" of some milliseconds between typing of identical letters...

• Hi @pseudoelvis,

Thanks for reporting that.

That's what we're trying to figure out, the issue is with 1Password extensions, when there is no 1Password process running, 1Password extension would launch the desktop program.

Our installer sends a message to the 1Password extensions to avoid launching for 30 seconds, so we could replace files but for some reasons, it doesn't always work on certain setups.

Try this:

1. Close all web browsers including Edge
    2. Right-click on 1Password icon in the notification tray area to select "Exit"
    3. Open 1Password from the start menu, unlock, and go to the 1Password Menu to check for an update and install it.

After that, see if 1Password remains stable with the right version.

We're investigating for a different installer to avoid this issue.

• Hi @lammoth,

Thanks for reporting that, that is a good catch and we'll get that fixed.

• mscrivo
    mscrivo
    Community Member

@MikeT High CPU issue is indeed fixed with 510, thanks again!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Auto-updated to build 510, but the downloadable installer is still 507?

(and I had to re-apply for the beta...)

• WGBeekhuis
    WGBeekhuis
    Community Member

I also wonder if build 510 has been cataloged in the Beta download pool.

• Hi guys,

@mscrivo,

High CPU issue is indeed fixed with 510, thanks again!

That's great to hear, thanks for reporting it.

@XIII,

Auto-updated to build 510, but the downloadable installer is still 507?

You shouldn't be re-applying for anything, we no longer use HockeyApp and there is no registration required in all 5xx builds.

Is it possible your system launched 6.8.496 instead when it failed to install 510? If yes, it would show 507 version only because you need this specific update that includes our new updater that can pick up the newer releases such as 510.

I've updated the link on HockeyApp to point to 510 but it will show 507 as the version returned while downloading and installing 510 instead.

Could you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, it should let us know what versions was launched. Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

@WGBeekhuis,

I also wonder if build 510 has been cataloged in the Beta download pool.

We don't use HockeyApp anymore but it was pointing to 507 because it is a required update.

I've updated HockeyApp to point to 510 (HockeyApp will show it as 507 but the URL is pointing to 510) while the rest of the beta community catches up when updating from 6.8 beta builds to 7.0 alpha builds.

• By the way, @lammoth, we've fixed the repetitive key issue for the next update, stay tuned for it.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

I keep getting this HitmanPro.Alert alert every few minutes with the new 1Password 7 Beta:

Mitigation   CallerCheck

Platform     10.0.16299/x64 v729 06_17*
    PID          9080
    Application  C:\Users\XIII\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7\1Password.exe
    Description  1Password for Windows desktop 7

Callee Type  CreateProcess
                 C:\Users\XIII\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7\1Password.exe

This is super annoying. What behaviour did you change that might cause this?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

You shouldn't be re-applying for anything, we no longer use HockeyApp and there is no registration required in all 5xx builds.

Oh. Where can I download the beta's then?

https://1password.com/downloads/#betas still links to HockeyApp...

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

@XIII,

You can find the 1Password for Windows 7 Alphas here in the App Update Server (Check Show Beta):
    https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW6

I am wary about Alpha products normally.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Does 1Password 7 Alpha override 1Password 6 during install? I have not tried to install 1Password 7 and never allowed Betas from within 1Password 6 for Windows.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

@wkleem: That also leads to HockeyApp for me...

https://rink.hockeyapp.net/api/2/apps/0cb99692bcdb47abb89fad56dfd56d0c?format=zip

Maybe I misunderstood @MikeT when he said this?

we no longer use HockeyApp

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Looks like the same issue I had previously, which is, the alpha/beta app when an attempt to download is made, actually downloads the latest stable release (v6.8.496). I did not test it out and assumed what MikeT said was true.

• Hi guys,

I just want to clarify a few things;

1. Do not use app-updates.agilebits.com for 1Password for Windows beta/alpha downloads at the moment. It is still using the old HockeyApp redirection link that depends on you being signed in to your HockeyApp account with access to 1Password betas. If you're not signed into your HockeyApp account, it will offer stable updates only. We will start offering direct links to the specific builds soon, I've filed a bug report to our web development team to fix this as soon as possible.
    2. Our Alpha builds are beta quality software but with features missing that will be coming soon. We've initially offered this as a beta update but decided to start using Alpha branding to better reflect that this will be a larger and longer period of development compared to our usual beta updates.
    3. No stable users are being offered to install this update, this is only for current beta users that have opt-in to beta updates in 1Password settings. However, there can be confusion because of the first statement, if you're signed in to HockeyApp with Beta access, you may get offered the beta builds on app-updates.agilebits.com (even on stable page) without having opt-in within 1Password settings.
    4. There are no beta updates of 1Password 6, the latest version for 1Password 6 is 1Password 6.8.496, you can find it here: https://1Password.com/downloads/
    5. We're in the process of moving away from HockeyApp completely. In order to phase HockeyApp out, we have to offer an update first on HockeyApp to switch our customers to our new in-house solution. So, right now, HockeyApp will offer 7.0.507 (links to 7.0.510) to all beta users. Once we are ready to release 1Password 7 to the world, it'll be on HockeyApp first and after a few months, we'll remove HockeyApp completely.
  • Hi @XIII,

keep getting this HitmanPro.Alert alert every few minutes with the new 1Password 7 Beta:

Is it blocking it or just alerting you?

1Password 7 switches to 1Password.exe now as a single process for both the main window and being a Native Messaging Host for the 1Password browser extensions. In the previous version, we had two separate processes; AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe and 1Password.NativeMessagingHost.exe. It's now one process for both.

It is normal for 1Password to create a new 1Password.exe for each browser you're using but it should not be doing this every few minutes unless 1Password.exe is crashing. Can you email us your diagnostics report, so we can see what's going on. Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I found a bug in the "Type in Window" feature, that occurs when I auto-type words (usernames or passwords) having two or more identical letters nearby. My OS is Windows 10 Pro x64.

To make a test, create a new Login item with:

Username=aaaaa
    Password=bbbbb
    Now auto-type username and password into some apps:

Notepad: both are typed correctly
    Notepad++: they are typed as "aa" and "bb"
    Chrome Basic Auth form: they are typed as "aa" (sometimes "aaa") and "bb"
    Firefox Basic Auth form: they are typed as "aa" and "bb"

I can confirm that build 511 fixes this bug.

• Hi @lammoth,

Great, thanks for your help with that issue!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Is it blocking it or just alerting you?

It looks like HitmanPro.Alert kills 1Password...

I then keep getting the alert every few minutes until I open the main 1Password App and the alerts will stop.

• Hi @XIII,

Could you email us your 1Password diagnostics report, there may be something else going on that we'd like to rule out first. Security tools tends to be overaggressive when there's a new program, which 1Password 7 is because of the process name changes.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

These are the (repeating) red blocks in the log:

1:

error checking registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and value 1Password
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Attempted to perform an unauthorized operation.

2:

Refusing helper connection from "C:\Windows\explorer.exe", because of untrusted certificate.

3:

No session key available to HTTP GET.

4:

Application: 1Password.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.IO.IOException

• MikeT
    edited February 2018

Hi @XIII,

1. That would be 1Password adding the new 1Password.exe for the autostart process, it's not permitted by your system. That would mean if you reboot your computer, 1Password won't start, which mean opening your browser would cause the 1Password extension to try to resort to URI scheme to launch 1Password and if it fails, 1Password browser extensions will not work.
    2. This could technically be Firefox updating itself, which may cause 1Password to reject that file because of the way Firefox launches our process via explorer.exe. This should resolve on its own when Firefox is restarted after installing the update.
    3. This can be normal if your proxy (or other network filtering tools) takes forever to start routing 1Password network calls and it fails to do so in time before it starts its authentication process. 1Password won't sync until this is resolved.
    4. We need the rest of the stack trace to understand what happened here but it does look like 1Password is crashing on your computer. My guess is based on the rest of the errors, your security/network tools need to be adjusted to whitelist the new 1Password.exe process.
  • MikeT
    edited February 2018

Hi @BrokenHope,

1Password 6 has been 64-bit from the beginning. We had a few changes in 1Password 7 that works better in 32-bit mode at the moment and it may make 1Password 7 compatible with the upcoming ARM release of Windows 10 that likes 32-bit only.

This discussion has been closed.