Need to activate on a new device, but don't have secret key

JMADDOX
JMADDOX
Community Member

Hello,
While in the middle of a trial run of 1Password subscription, I upgraded my phone from Samsung s7 to s8. I know my email address and Master Pass, but didn't record my Secret Key anywhere. I trust I'm not the first to do this (sorry! I see NOW what the emergency kit is and its importance). I won't have access to my old device, I don't have a family/shared account member who can send it, and don't have a sync to Dropbox setup.

While I downloaded the desktop Chrome extension for Windows 10, I don't recall logging in. When I try to access my information it loads for a bit then says "Looking for the 1Password helper".

Unless there is an Android OS backup I'm unaware of, it appears I'm out of luck. How would you recommend I start over? Is there a way to wipe out what was in there previously and continue using my same email address?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Android 6.7.1
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: Android 7.0, Windows 10
Sync Type: Subscription trial

Comments

• Hi @JMADDOX. :)

If you don't have your Emergency Kit or a device that's signed into your account, let's see if we can recover your Secret Key from Google backups. Did you by chance have Google backups enabled on your old device? If so, install 1Password on your new device and tap 1Password.com under Already using 1Password? and you'll see your account listed there. Does that help?

• JMADDOX
    JMADDOX
    Community Member

I have Google back up enabled and when I choose "1password.com" under Already using... all the form fields are blank. Am I doing something wrong?

• halfyearsun
    halfyearsun
    Community Member

I have a related question...I finally signed up for a subscription about a month ago (because the Windows version got so much better recently). Two weeks ago my Nexus 5x suddenly died and I had to have it repaired on warranty. I had google backups enabled and after I got the device back with a completely replaced board and restored the google cloud backup my 1Password account was already listed there (which is obviously intended as peri stated above) and I only had to enter my master password.

That was very convenient but obviously the secret key is not only stored locally on the device then but also in Google Drive if the automatic backup is enabled. Is that intended and secure? You say that you don't know the key, but Google knows it then ;-) Is Google Drive encrypted with the same security standards as 1Password.com?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JMADDOX: It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong, but if the credentials are not saved in your Google Account that won't work. You can, however, use your Setup Code in the app (or website) on another device to add your account there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@halfyearsun: That is intended. Google doesn't know your Secret Key, etc., but you do inherently have to trust them in order to store your data there — and of course to use their OS in the first place. Data stored in your Google Account's backup is encrypted; though, unlike 1Password.com, I can't tell you exactly how because we don't own and operate that service.

• JMADDOX
    JMADDOX
    Community Member

I have Google Backup active but it didn't pull in my secret key for some unknown reason. I don't have any other user or device active. How do I start over? Will I need to create a new login with a new password?

• Thanks @JMADDOX. You'd need to have had Google backups enabled on the old device in order to have saved the Secret Key there from that device.

Can you try reinstalling 1Password on your new device and selecting the option to sign into an existing account again? Do you see the account listed on the next page?

If you had multiple Google accounts linked to your old device, it would be helpful to sign into them on this device to see if the Secret Key is saved in another account. Otherwise, you would indeed need to delete the existing account in order to sign up for a new one. If it comes to that, please email support@1password.com and our team can help with that.

• JMADDOX
    JMADDOX
    Community Member

Thanks. Reinstalling didn't help so I'll reach out to Support

• I'm sorry to hear that. Were you able to try your other Google accounts as well, @JMADDOX?

This discussion has been closed.