Navigation in 1PW Mini with keyboard could be better

Options

I like to fill in my identities & credit cards using only the keyboard, but the way keyboard navigation works now is kind of inefficient and a little confusing. Currently, to fill an identity, I have to invoke 1PW mini with Ctrl + Alt + \, use Alt + 4 or Alt + 5 to select either the identity or credit card categories, and then press tab 4 times to focus the search box before I can use the up & down arrow keys to select the right entry. The tab thing took me a while to figure out. Pressing tab the first time just gets rid of the box around the selected category and then there's no visual feedback when pressing tab again until you press it for the fourth time, after which the cursor in the search box starts blinking and you can finally use the arrow keys to select the correct entry.

I feel like after selecting the category with Alt + whatever number, you should be able to use the right arrow key to switch focus to the entries in each category. It just seems natural since the entries are to the right of the category sidebar. It would also reduce the number of key presses needed to fill an identity or credit card.

Alternatively, you could put the identities & credit cards under the matched logins like you do in 1PW X. Either way, it'd be more convenient and intuitive than it is now.

1Password Version: 6.8.492
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @Tetryl91,

Thank you for reaching out and using 1Password! :+1:

We are constantly working on the improvements for our new 1Password for Windows and keyboard shortcuts for our power users is an area of great interest for us. We take our first steps there (1Password 6 for Windows is relatively new) and we have plans to make this experience better in the future.

Your suggestions about right arrow key make perfect sense and I will make sure to pass them along to our team, so we could discuss it for future updates. Please let me know if there is anything else we can help you with in regards to 1Password on Windows (or any other platform), we are always here for you. Thank you! :chuffed:

Cheers,
    Greg

• roy_orbison
    roy_orbison
    Community Member
    Options

Another way (if your keyboard has a Context menu/Right click key) is to go Ctrl + Alt + \ then instead use Ctrl + Tab to switch panels which keeps focus in the search box. Then you can filter by typing as usual if you need, and hit Down , Tab, Context menu to get what you need.

Of course one has to repeat that for each copied piece of info because the mini doesn't remember its state :(

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@roy_orbison: Are you copying your Identities and Credit Card info as well? Or your use case is different? Please let us know. Thanks!

• Tetryl91
    Tetryl91
    Community Member
    Options

@roy_orbison: This is very useful, thanks! Especially because I mostly autofill my info with the browser extension, so I don't have to fiddle with the context menu usually. Ctrl + Tab works great!

• @Tetryl91: Glad you were able to hunt down a method that works better for you! 1Password X also does a really awesome job with keyboard navigation, so we hope we can adapt some of what it uses to the other apps as we continue to improve things. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We really appreciate it. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.