1Password Mac/iOs Pre Teams/Family

Options
dklemchuk
dklemchuk
Community Member

I created a personal account of 1 Password that syncs on my MacBook Air, iPhone, and iPad. After that, I signed up for Family and Teams, but we need used them. Today I bought a new MacBook and cannot figure out how to sign and sync to my Primary Vault from my personal account. Was able to add the Family and Team accounts, but neither have my Primary Vault. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rudy
    Options

@dklemchuk,

Primary Vaults aren't part of your Team/Family/Individual account. It should have prompted you to migrate your data when you first signed into your Individual account in the 1Password app on the MacBook Air or the iPhone or IPad if you had pre-existing data in your Primary vault.

You can manually trigger this migration on your devices, keep in mind that if you had previously been syncing that you will want to take a different approach to moving the devices over and getting rid of the primary vault than you might think. If all your devices have the same Primary vault then you will want to only migrate one of them so you don't end up with duplicate items being imported into your account.

To trigger a manual migration:

• using the 1Password -> Switch Vault menu, choose the Personal vault in the account you would like to copy your data into.
    • choose Help -> Tools -> Migrate Primary Vault to Account
    • Verify everything copied over, you should be looking at your items since you're in the Personal vault at this point.
    • go to Preferences -> Advanced
    • Uncheck allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password.com accounts

Let us know if you have any questions along the way.

Rudy

• dklemchuk
    dklemchuk
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Rudy. I jacked up when I did the family/team accounts. Is there any way, I can just stick with the personal account and the primary vault that is already set up for my MacBook Air, iPhone, and iPad? I'd like to use that for my new MacBook Pro since we aren't doing family or teams.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dklemchuk - I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, here, but if your goal is to convert a 1Password Families account to an Individual account, then you'll need to remove all members except yourself (make sure they migrate or export any data before you remove them, or it will be lost permanently), then - when you're the only member, you can follow these steps:

1. Sign in to your 1Password account at https://start.1password.com.
    2. Click Settings in the sidebar.
    3. Under Account Type, click: Convert “” to an Individual account

If that's not what you're trying to do, let us know what you are trying to accomplish. Thanks!

• dklemchuk
    dklemchuk
    Community Member
    Options

I don't use either the Family or the Team account. I only use the primary vault on my personal account. My current MacOS/iOS line up -- MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch all use the primary vault. I bought a new MacBook Pro and would like to use the primary vault on that computer just like the other computer. It doesn't seem to be an option and I am assuming that I need to log in with other credentials to use the primary vault? Not sure how to do that.

To answer your question, I don't want to convert a Families account, I just want to use an existing personal one.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dklemchuk - Ah, OK - I think we have a bit of terminological confusion here. A Primary vault is not part of a 1password.com account. It is a local (standalone) vault which doesn't require a 1Password membership.

To use a Primary vault on more than one device, you will need to sync your data using one of our advanced sync methods such as iCloud or WLAN.

If you're not interested in advanced sync, then you should probably follow my above instructions in the previous reply to change your 1Password Families account to a 1Password Individual account, which syncs through the 1password.com service and does not require manual, advanced sync setup. Let us know if you have additional questions.

• dklemchuk
    dklemchuk
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I will try that.

• dklemchuk
    dklemchuk
    Community Member
    Options

That worked. I was missing the step before Advanced Sync that allowed me to do that. Thank you very much. All set now.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dklemchuk - great to hear! Glad you were able to get everything working smoothly. Let us know if you run into any other difficulties.

This discussion has been closed.