Multibyte characters in 1Password 6 for Windows garbled in Windows 7.

Multibyte characters in 1Password 6 for Windows garbled in Windows 7.
※1Password 6 for Windows on Windows 10 is not garbled.

Specifically, "tag" and "item name of detailed page on the right side of the window" garbled.
However, with regard to "item name of detailed page on the right side of the window", if you click "Edit" and enter edit mode, garbled characters do not appear.
※Garbled characters are "□".

Please tell me how to resolve.

1Password Version: 6.8.496
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Pochaneko: Thanks for reaching out. That's an interesting one! It sounds like this is less a 1Password issue than a Windows issue though, since you say it displays correctly on Windows 10. I suspect it isn't a bug though, but rather a difference either in the way different charactersets are handled between the two, or perhaps you just don't have the same charactersets supported in both environments. For example, I'm pretty sure that while Windows 10 includes international support by default, this is a separate installation in many cases on Windows 7, and sometimes requires a different SKU/ISO. Can you give me some example that would allow me to reproduce it? I'm not certain we'll be able to help if your Windows 7 setup just cannot display those characters, even though it works fine in the same app on Windows 10, but I'll be happy to take a look. You might check your language/locale settings one both to compare them, as that might offer a clue and present a solution though. :)

• Pochaneko
    Pochaneko
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply!

"Setting language and locale" is "Japanese (Japan)" for both OSs.

Also, when 1 Password was installed on clean installing Windows 7, it was not garbled, so it seems to be a problem unique to this computer.
    Although it is slightly inconvenient, since it can be used without problems, I will try to use it as it is.

Thank you.

By the way it is an image in garbled state.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Pochaneko - looks like you've narrowed it down to this particular PC, yes. In a brief internal discussion about your issue, what we think may be the case is that Japanese glyphs for bold and possibly for light fonts are not installed on this PC. I can't say for certain, but you may wish to compare installed fonts between this PC and the PC on which this is rendering correctly. That may lead you to the culprit. Good luck, and let us know what you discover! :)

• Pochaneko
    Pochaneko
    Community Member

@Lars - I copied all the fonts installed on the correctly displayed PC (Clean Installation Windows 7) and installed it on a garbled PC, but garbled characters did not come up. :'(

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Pochaneko -- Hmmm....I'm sorry to hear that. I'm really not sure what to suggest at this point, since the presence of the correct characters on your other PC means that 1Password does have the capability to display them correctly, I'm not certain what could be going on with this one. Have you checked in with Microsoft support on this one?

• sinfuljosh
    sinfuljosh
    Community Member

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/japanese-fonts-displayed-as-squares/06d87011-6210-4c75-8787-5bfb517317a2

The last post mentions this -

I had the same issue and I switched back language for non-unicode language to japanese, reboot, then switched back to english reboot again, and not I get japanese displayed as usual. I think it was a registry misplaced parameters or redundancy. I hope it will work for you too.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the tip, @sinfulljosh! I would caution @Pochaneko that this thread is from 2011 and may no longer be relevant for a number of reasons -- but if you're comfortable trying it, us know if it works for you!

• Pochaneko
    Pochaneko
    Community Member

thank you everyone!

Running Windows Update (Update for .NET & 2018-01 Preview of Quality Rollup for .NET & 2018-01 Preview of Quality Rollup for Windows 7) on the end of January, garbled characters have been resolved!

I regret that I can not identify the cause, but I was able to solve it.
    Thank you very much :)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Great news @Pochaneko! :chuffed: We are glad to hear that the issue has been resolved.

Please feel free to reach out to us in the future, we are always here to help you with 1Password.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.