Question about stand alone vaults

AlwaysSortaCurious
AlwaysSortaCurious
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

As a newer user of 1Password, I've never bothered with the stand-alone vaults, I have however used stand-alone vaults in other products. So this is my question: Why the hyper-emphasis on dropbox? Why couldn't I just save the vault somewhere like in idrive or onedrive or some other local caching file share service?

I'm assuming I am missing something key here, just not sure what.

Would help as I play with them and help beta this out.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited February 2018

Hi @AlwaysSortaCurious,

Thanks for writing in.

Why the hyper-emphasis on dropbox?

Because it is the only cross-platform cloud sync solution we support on most of the platforms that 1Password is on. Dropbox is supported as a sync option for standalone vaults in the Android, iOS, macOS, and Windows versions of 1Password.

It's also the first and most popular sync service we added to 1Password before we built 1Password.com service.

Folder Sync is only available for Android, macOS, and Windows and it is more complicated to set up compared to Dropbox, so we encourage users to use Dropbox if they have an account already.

iOS will not support this due to the locked down file system.

Why couldn't I just save the vault somewhere like in idrive or onedrive or some other local caching file share service?

You can with Folder Sync, it just won't work for the iOS version of 1Password.com.

• Thanks, I guess there is a bit more to it (though I get the IOS version caveat). Appreciate. Quite happy with the cloud service approach, but was curious and wanted to play with it properly.

• You're welcome.

The current alpha is a bit rough for first-timers to standalone vaults, it doesn't yet have all settings enabled and doesn't write to a new external sync folder yet. A lot of updates coming in the next few months to complete the work.

This discussion has been closed.