Firefox extension loads but is not functioning.

Options
Trey_Neal
Trey_Neal
Community Member
edited October 2017 in Mac

Mac OS - Sierra 10.12.6
Firefox 56.0

1Password extension appears to install (blinks for several seconds and then is solid) but upon clicking nothing happens.
I have uninstalled a few times, restarted Firefox, attempted to reinstall but Firefox blocks the permission dialog. Use the alternative link and successfully install but the toolbar button does not work. It presses but no action.

I have the 1Password mini app running in the menu bar and it works as expected with all of my passwords but prompts me to install the Firefox extension even though Firefox reports it as installed and enabled. The extension version is 4.6.12.90.

Obvious problem is that I cannot save passwords created on Firefox without manually doing so. No prompting from the application when I create a new username/password such as when I signed up for this forum.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: 1Password vault

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Trey_Neal - sorry to hear you're having trouble with 1Password' Firefox extension. To get a better idea of what might be going on with your particular 1Password setup, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#TGV-52825-242]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @Trey_Neal only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

• jaynedc
    jaynedc
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars I am experiencing the exact same problem. Are you saying above that this is an individual problem and not a global one?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jaynedc - yep! That's exactly what I'm saying. When you have a user base the size of ours, it's REALLY easy to tell the difference between a unique problem that more than one user might experience, and a genuine across-the-board problem that EVERY user will experience. If we had a problem that was affecting every single person who used 1Password in Firefox, you wouldn't see one or two people chiming in on a thread, this forum would be buried in notifications/requests/complaints.

Having said that, I'm sorry you're having difficulties just now. To get a better idea of what might be going on with your particular setup, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#TYM-22778-864]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @jaynedc only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

• benshaine
    benshaine
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having a similar problem. Updated Firefox to 57. Deleted 1Password extension, closed Firefox, reopened Firefox, reinstalled extension from agilebits website. 1Password icon on toolbar is greyed out. Would appreciate your advice. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@benshaine: You'll need to have the latest versions of 1Password, Firefox, and the extension for them to work. What are the exact versions of each, and OS, that you're using?

• benshaine
    benshaine
    Community Member
    Options

The greyed-out icon flashes dark briefly every few seconds at inconsistent intervals.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@benshaine: It sounds like something is interfering with the connection between 1Password and the browser then. Do you have "security" software which may be causing that? It would really help if you'd answer my question above too. Without knowing what you're using I'm just going to be guessing. :blush:

• benshaine
    benshaine
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty, thanks --

IPassword 4 version 4.4.3 (443000)
    IPassword Firefox extension 4.6.12.90
    Firefox 57.0
    Mac OS X 10.9.5
    (I don't update the OS, because it works well with CS6.)

~Ben

• benshaine
    benshaine
    Community Member
    Options

No security software I'm aware of.

• jburdick
    jburdick
    Community Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

I'm having exactly the same issue. It installs and works fine on Mac OS 10.12.6 using Firefox 57.0, but for some reason it won't function on the same browser running on Mac OS 10.13.1. The icon shows up on the toolbar, but it's greyed out and won't respond. I tried un-installing and re-installing it, but it still won't function. Works fine in Safari on both OS's.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited November 2017
    Options

@benshaine

Ah. That's the problem. You'd need to upgrade the OS (and 1Password) in order to use 1Password with modern Firefox. The unfortunate reality is that you can’t expect technology that is “frozen in time” to continue to be practical for more than a few years. There will simply be too many incompatibilities with modern software to make continued use a realistic option for day-to-day usage.

That is without even getting into the security aspect of the difficulty of using older tech. I certainly wouldn’t recommend connecting any device running an OS that is no longer supported by the manufacturer to the internet (OS X 10.9 would fall into this category).

I’m sorry I don’t have a better answer for you, but as time passes things are only going to degrade further.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@jburdick

I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/83302/
    • Your forum username: jburdick

That way we can "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• jburdick
    jburdick
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

I ran the diagnostic and submitted it to you guys. The Support ID is #URV-71137-822

Thanks,

John

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jburdick: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: URV-71137-822

• vallieres
    vallieres
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! I have the very same issue. Brand new MacBook Pro, it used to work with my previous MBP on FF57, regular FF extension (not beta). Trying going back to Firefox 55 and resetting the whole thing. Should I add my comments here or should I open another thread?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vallieres: I'd try installing a fresh copy of the latest version of Firefox, rather than an old one.

However, we've gotten reports that Firefox is not creating the NativeMessagingHosts folder for some people. I couldn't tell you why it wouldn't, but creating it yourself may help. Try this:

1. Go to Finder and choose Go > Go to Folder
    2. In the box that pops up, enter ~/Library/Application Support
    3. In the folder that opens, you should find a Mozilla folder. If not, create it.
    4. Inside the Mozilla folder, create a folder named NativeMessagingHosts if it does not exist.
    5. Go to 1Password and choose Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini

Let me know how it goes! :)

• vallieres
    vallieres
    Community Member
    Options

It worked! I had to restart Firefox too but now it works! Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. Cheers! :)

• 0zymandius
    0zymandius
    Community Member
    Options

Just to chime in on this one, I ran through the listed steps and it solved the problem. Y'all might want to make this information a little more available for those who are having issues. On the other hand, I'm sure your devs are already working on a real solution. In any case, thanks for the help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad that helped! Unfortunately this isn't something we can fix on our end, as the NativeMessagingHosts folder is part of Firefox and not 1Password. But we'll continue to work with them and the other browser vendors to smooth things out with the new WebExtensions and Native Messaging APIs we're all dependent on for the foreseeable future. Cheers! :)

• 1me
    1me
    Community Member
    Options

I am having a similar problem. I just upgraded my Firefox from 45.9.0 ESR to 52.5.2 ESR, and updated the 1P extension from 4.6.2 to the latest 4.6.12.90. The 1P extension icon in Firefox is greyed out but occasionally flickers as described previously. (1P still works fine with Safari.) I tried creating the NativeMessagingHosts directory as recommended above for Firefox 57 but it had no effect. Any other things I should be looking at?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@1me: It's likely there's something messed up from the old version, since that doesn't use the new extension. Definitely try restarting and reinstalling:

1. Drag Firefox and 1Password to the Trash
    2. Restart your Mac
    3. Install a fresh copy of 1Password: https://1password.com/downloads/
    4. Install a new(ish) copy of Firefox: https://firefox.com
    5. Install the newest 1Password extension: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

Let me know how it turns out! :)

• 1me
    1me
    Community Member
    Options

I finally got around to doing the updates as you suggested. With 1P 6.8.5 and the latest 1P extension, it seems to be working fine with the latest Firefox ESR version (52.5.2). Thanks brenty!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! Thanks so much for letting me know. And have a wonderful Christmas! :chuffed:

• kimvenaas
    kimvenaas
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem. Extension dimmed and unclickable. 4 hours work trying to fix your 1Password problem. Followed endless instructions on this and other threads and am at my wits end. 1Password updates need to be WAY more intelligent to avoid what is clearly a problem for many, many of your customers for a long time (judging from the forum comments dates).

I'll give it one last go before abandoning my multiple investments in 1Password.
    Mac OSX 10.11.6
    Firefox - 58.0.1
    FF extension - 4.6.12.9
    1Password - 6.8.6

Help?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kimvenaas - I'm sorry for the trouble! The reason you can find threads relating to the Firefox extension dating back "a long time" is because both 1Password and Firefox have been through many different versions over the years. You'd find the same with Chrome or Safari as well - things change, problems arise. What's important is addressing them, both by helping individuals who experience issues, and by working not just internally but with browser developers to smooth out any bugs that crop up.

The former is what I'm here to do, in fact. :)

I'm sorry you spent four hours on this, but since you didn't mention what steps you've tried in that time, I'd like you to start with brenty's advice, above:

1. Drag Firefox and 1Password to the Trash
    2. Restart your Mac
    3. Install a fresh copy of 1Password: https://1password.com/downloads/
    4. Install a new(ish) copy of Firefox: https://firefox.com
    5. Install the newest 1Password extension: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

Let us know how that works for you. If you've already tried those specific steps, can you elaborate about what else you've already done? Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.