Login save/fill is not working for Asus Forums

Options

No matter what I try I can't get the user name to save to the login details for http://vip.asus.com/forum/

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @tealduck,

I'm somewhat surprised that 1Password isn't identifying the correct field for the username but you're quite right, it isn't. Thankfully the Login item can be tweaked to correctly display the username despite 1Password's initial mistake.

1. Save a new Login item using the steps outlined on our page How to save a Login manually in your browser. This ensures we start with a clean Login item.
    2. Edit the Login item from the main 1Password window and once in edit mode click the show web form details button.
    3. You will see a number of rows and one row will have the silhouette of a key. This is the field 1Password recognises as being the password field.
    4. The row above this should contain your username. Click in the area where the silhouette is for the row below and select the silhouette of a person.
    5. Save.

What this does is alter the Login item just a little, enough to identify which field on the page is the username. When you save 1Password will display the contents of that field as the username when you view the Login item. Does this work as well for you as it seemed to for me?

• tealduck
    tealduck
    Community Member
    Options

I had actually tried what you suggested before posting but 1Password still did not use that field. I didn't know about the key icon so I had just inspected the page and grabbed the id for that field. Either way it amounted to the same field you mentioned.

After your post I went back and reviewed the web details and at the bottom I saw a field called "username" at the bottom. Filled that in and lo and behold the user name started getting populated. A search on their HTML code shows no field with that name so it must be contained in one of their referenced JavaScript files. Hope that information helps your development team.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tealduck,

Given the page in question, if you are seeing a field in the web form details simply titled username this suggests to me that at some point the username was manually added to the Login item via the field at the top of the item. Normally what should happen with a Login item saved in the browser is that details on all the fields are stored in the web form details and one field is identified and flagged as the username and another as the password. The flag is represented by the symbols of the key and person silhouette. If 1Password doesn't flag a field for either of these special purposes then it appears as if there is either no username or no password. Now, if you add the missing detail at the top of the item it creates a new field in the web form details, titling it either username or password and it does this because the web form details is fundamental to filling and is what is used rather than the two fields at the top of the item. This is the most likely explanation for a mysterious username field appearing and would explain why a field with that name or id couldn't be found on the page.

So if you were to save an entirely new item from inside the browser and go straight to the web form details section I would expect you to not find a username field, assuming that is we're both using roughly the same version of 1Password. Hopefully this explanation of 1Password's behaviour was of interest :smile:

This discussion has been closed.