Search result shows wrong entry

openstream
openstream
Community Member
edited May 2018 in iOS

When I search for "status", the first search result ist stackoverflow.com, although when I tap on that result it shows the correct entry I was searching for. Took me quite some time to figure out, first thought it was a sync issue.

https://www.evernote.com/l/AIw9_QVg505MU5gbOtvR3a497V9oP02fvKI

1Password Version: 7.0.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 11.2.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:search results

Comments

• Hi @openstream,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I apologize for the inconvenience. This is a known issue that our development team is looking into. I don’t have any sort of a timeframe to share, but it is something we’re aware of and hope to fix. We appreciate the report!

Ben

ref: OPI-4388

• openstream
    openstream
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick response, Ben.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sure thing! I’m sorry for the trouble there, but we’ll get this sorted.

• hstriepe
    hstriepe
    Community Member

So this means that search is broken on iOS? I have been seeing the same thing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hstriepe: Search isn't broken, but on some devices the thing that is tapped is not the thing that is selected. Did you read the original poster's comments? Let us know if you're seeing something different than that.

• paul_piglobal
    paul_piglobal
    Community Member

I'm getting incorrect search results as well as erroneous tapping once the list is displayed.

"Incorrect results" appears to be linked to sync speeds (at a guess), so this might be a separate issue. When the spinner's active after starting 1P, the search doesn't work correctly. May be a function of having Dropbox and 1P Teams vaults? 199 items in Teams vaults, 1639 in Dropbox vault.

• @paul_piglobal

Do you have the search options set to “Search Titles” or “Search Everything”? With Search Titles selected I’m not getting any results that aren’t immediately obvious. With Search Everything I do occasionally get stuff that doesn’t make sense on initial inspection but if I dig in to the item I see why it appeared.

Please let us know.

Ben

• paul_piglobal
    paul_piglobal
    Community Member

Getting erroneous results on both settings. e.g. Search for "ian" gets results for "chris", even when "Ian" is in the title and "Search Titles" is selected. Same results with "Search Everything" Checked records for hidden "ian" substrings, couldn't see any, additionally, no records entitled "ian" appear.

With most recent instance of fault, tapping on a "chris" result did render an "ian" record, but tapping further down the results list brought up other, seemingly random records, eventually it was as if the results list didn't link to a record. Tapped result highlights, the spinner kicks in for a little while, but no record is displayed. Apart from the top result linking to an "ian", none of the others had "ian" visible anywhere.

Clear as mud?

(On previous searches, I have had a list of results that did include the search string, but tapping brought up the wrong record. Not sure I can replicate that.)

• paul_piglobal
    paul_piglobal
    Community Member

v7.05
    iOS 11.2.2
    iPhone 7 Plus, 128GB

Think I've seen same issue on iPad too, so this might not help.

• Thanks, @paul_piglobal. I’ll add those additional details to the bug report. Sorry I don’t have a more immediate solution to offer.

Ben

• rburgst
    rburgst
    Community Member

Same problem here. It seems that the UI doesn't properly display the results. I noticed this already on iPhone 6 and now also with the 10. The way I reproduce it often is by opening 1password, search for term x then switch to another app. Then switch back to 1p and search for term y then often the filter screen will display some random content from the database also the scroll area is huge with approx 2/3rds of the scroll area empty.
    When you then try and click on an entry it won't open at all or it will open a different one than what you are seeing.
    IMHO the UI is out of sync with the filtering results and therefore if you try and click an entry that's beyond the real filtering list then it won't open, and if you click one that is within the bounds it will open but since the UI doesn't display the correct results the one you open is not the one that is shown in the list.

• Thanks @rburgst. Hopefully this is something we can get fixed up soon.

Ben

• paul_piglobal
    paul_piglobal
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

@Ben Don't suppose you can bump this up as a priority fix? It's making 1P impractical in my environment as I'm often under extreme time pressure to get access to something.

@rburgst Just wondering, what sync method are you using? I'm thinking of changing my non-Teams Vaults to iCloud, but if you're already using that, then maybe not.

• rburgst
    rburgst
    Community Member

@paul_piglobal I am using dropbox sync. As a developer myself I would be surprised if this bug depends on the synching method but I guess you never know.

• I’m not necessarily suggesting this as a solution — but I haven’t seen any reports of this from folks who are exclusively using 1Password.com based vaults. And in my own setup, which is entirely 1Password.com based, I’m not able to reproduce the issue. So it may indeed be related (if only tangentially) to using Dropbox / standalone vaults.

We do have a developer currently working on this issue.

Thank you.

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Sorry to report that I have also seen wrong search results (some time ago), but using 1Password.com for syncing.

However, I did not tap on a result to see whether it displayed the wrong text for the correct credentials.

• How long ago was some time ago?

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

How long ago was some time ago?

Sorry, don’t know. That’s why I was so vague... (Couple of weeks?)

• Okay. Just trying to make some determination as to if that would’ve been the same issue or perhaps a different issue. Thanks.

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Had wrong results again today; with the latest TestFlight beta (7.0.6).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, I don't think we've made any changes in this area in the current beta, but hopefully we'll be able to find a solution for this.

• hagi
    hagi
    Community Member

Unfortunately, i have the same search issue with the wrong search results and their unusable representation.
    I have the problems for weeks.
    For the syncing i use 1password.com
    Please fix the problem.

• Thanks @hagi. I'm sorry for the trouble. Our development team is aware of the problem and is working to resolve it. I will continue to bring this issue up to them on our status calls.

Thank you.

Ben

• Hi folks.

Please try updating to 1Password 7.0.6 for iOS and see if you still experience this behavior. We’ve included a fix in this version targeting this problem, so fingers crossed. :) Please let me know ASAP if you are still seeing oddities while searching.

Ben

• Ken Brucker
    Ken Brucker
    Community Member

I’ve been seeing this bug with search and found this thread. After upgrading to 7.0.6 I have been unable to recreate the problem. Thank you for the fix!

• That is awesome news, Ken. Thank you for the update!

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I had this problem again this morning, with 7.0.6 (from TestFlight).

• Please install the stable version from the App Store and re-test.

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Please install the stable version from the App Store and re-test.

Seems to work fine, so far. But it has always been an intermittent issue for me.

Is the App Store version newer than the latest TestFlight Beta? (How would I know?)

• In theory they should be the same.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.