To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

where are your servers located? can select where to store my data?

durikon
durikon
Community Member

Hi,
is there a way to select, where you store data, when I am accessing my password online?
I understand, vaults are end-to-end encrypted. Still I'd like to understand where the data is.

Nils

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi Nils ( @durikon ),

We have three instances of 1Password available:

• 1Password.com: N. Virginia, USA
    • 1Password.ca: Montreal, Canada
    • 1Password.eu: Frankfurt, Germany

These instances are entirely separate and do not “talk” to each other. If you choose, for example, to sign up for an account on 1Password.eu, your data will only be stored in Germany.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• durikon
    durikon
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

thanks. Is this a one time choice? or can I "move" my data?

thx,
    Nils

• It is a one time choice. Because the instances do not communicate we cannot move your data from one to another, but you could manually move your data from one to another in the same way you’d move data between any two vaults:

Move items between vaults

Ben

• mhyar
    mhyar
    Community Member

Hi @durikon,

Ben already answered your question, but I thought I'd chime in and give you some interesting reading material about how and where 1Password stores your information. It's a pretty easy read, even for someone like me, and gave me some solid insight. Here is the link to the blog post.

• Thanks for the feedback, @mhyar. Glad to hear you found it insightful. The intended audience for it was other developers, as part of our DevBits series, but it is great to know that it has broader reach and impact than that.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.