Using 1PW on two iMac's

gas
gas
Community Member
edited February 2018 in Mac

How can I get 1PW on my computer to show the same information on my wife's computer.
I think they call this "talking to each other" Units are in the same room.

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 0S 10.13.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gas - We call it sync, actually, but "talking to each other" is about as good a definition of what you want to occur. :)

Can I ask: are you using 1Password as a standalone app with local data? Or do you have a 1password.com account? And do you want every bit of your data to be shared with your wife, or just some of it?

• gas
    gas
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

I could not find if I have a .com account. Checked preference... found nothing there... I did purchase the app from Apple.
    I am fairly sure that 1PW was syncing with my wife's computer... however cannot be absolutely positive.... The old memory thing!!!!!
    I have attached 3 screen shot. Self explanatory l'm sure.... Look forward to your help!

• MaxSiegel
    MaxSiegel
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gas,

No worries about the memory thing, we're always happy to help. :)

And thank you for sending in those screenshots, they were definitely helpful! However, your second screenshot showed a password for one of your items. These are public forums, so I've gone ahead and deleted it, but you may want to change your password for that item, just in case.

OK! With that out of the way… syncing via WLAN Server will be problematic because you can't sync two or more computers with it. You'll want to switch that off by going to 1Password Preferences > WLAN Server. Syncing via Dropbox, like you currently have it set to, could work, but then you and your wife would have to be signed in to the same Dropbox account on all of your devices. It can get pretty messy when more than one person is involved.

It honestly sounds trying out our newer service 1Password Families (aka a 1Password.com account) would be your best option here:

1. Here are the benefits of a 1Password membership

2. And here's how to move your existing 1Password items into a 1Password membership.

Please let us know if you have questions about migrating over, and we'll go from there. :)

• gas
    gas
    Community Member

I have joined and not sure about where the existing data will end up in respects to the new membership. I am concerned about losing all the stored passwords and sites.
    The screen shot shows the Account is parked my present 1PW drop down menu. When clicked and go to browser site which downloads the the installer package...1Password- 6.8.6.pkg If I install this does it capture all the data from my existing app?
    Incidentally the existing app I have is 6.8.6
    See Screen Shot.....

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gas - I'm not certain what you're asking us here. There are not two different apps for standalone and 1password.com accounts; both use the same 1Password for Mac application. So, if you're already using 1Password version 6.8.6, you should be all set to go. If you're referring to something else, can you clarify for us? Thanks. :)

• gas
    gas
    Community Member

Nope.... I'm referring the on app.... I think I am on track.... Just gotta find the instructions to get a second mac, ipad and iphone to behave and have the same data as on my imac.
    thanks again.
    graham

• gas
    gas
    Community Member

I think I am getting the idea value of 1Password.com. As I understand it, I really don't need the app in my computer as I just realized, that by going to my browser I can assess all the items that I have entered into the desktop app since I started using it from day one... (about 2015). Have I got that right?

However I would like to have the 1PW app on my desktop as well...

If I add a password into https://my.1password.com/vaults/. website will it update the copy in my computer?
    and visa versa.... add a password in the desktop app will it update the website.?

At present the copy on my wife's computer is not updated.... Please direct me to your site that details instructions update her copy of 1Password-6.8.6.

My iPhone is updated and this happened "all by its self" (smart device).

Need to get the 1PW app onto my iPad.... When I go to Apple store I am asked to purchase the app.
    How do I get a copy of the app along with all the data that is on my copy, into the iPad?

Whew.... that's a lot of stuff, or as we say here on (Spring Like) Van Island in beautiful BC.... blah blah blah.

Thanks so much for your help.
    Graham

• gas
    gas
    Community Member

I was hoping for an answer to the post above....

Thanks.... Graham who at 84 is needing some help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gas - Hi. We tend to reply a little slower over the weekend than we do during the week; apologies for the delay. You've understood 1password.com correctly - it's a sync service maintained by us (and much more). With 1password.com, you can use any web browser to access your data - as long as you have your Master Password and your Secret Key available. You can also sign into your account in any 1Password application as well (Windows, Mac, iOS and Android), and once you do that, the data in your 1Password account will be automatically synced. Here are instructions for adding your 1password.com account to the 1Password app on your Mac AND your iPad.

Previously, you said you were syncing via iCloud and loved it; no need to change. Is that no longer the case? You'd like to switch to a 1password.com account? And regarding your wife; would you like her to use 1Password as well, with her own data? Or do you want to share your data?

• gas
    gas
    Community Member

Yes I am synced with iCloud.
    I share data with my wife's computer... which I have manage to get happened however..... Now she as a duplicate of all data in here copy of 1PW... ???? This is the copy which we established when be purchased the app from Apple... What do we do to clean up the dups.

Thanks for your help for this 45 year old .... at times slow to get all this techy stuff to sink in and stay. I have tried plugging up one ear...but is only so so for retaining and understanding (•<:

Graham,
    Buy the way the 1Password.com is great but need to have data on our computers.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gas -- it sounds as if you may be having a couple of issues here, so to get a better idea of what might be going on with your (and your wife's) 1Password setup, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your and your wife's devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#GVE-14951-883]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @gas only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: GVE-14951-883

• gas
    gas
    Community Member

Well .... now my fingers aren't working..... or I can't count.... That should be 85.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gas - :)

This discussion has been closed.