How does version 6.8.6 affect my data and where is my data?

Options
Fastidious
Fastidious
Community Member

I have used 1Password almost from day 1 syncing it to Dropbox. Accordingly, I purchased it directly. When you offered the family membership, I converted. I can access the 1Password web site, etc. I think I am still syncing to Dropbox. I do not understand the significance of the new build. With ver 6.8.6 do I want to move over to iCloud? If so, how do I do it?

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: 4.6.0.b7
OS Version: Mac OS 10.13.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• rudy
    edited January 2018
    Options

@Fastidious,

I took a look in the license system and it looks like you have licenses for 1Password 2 and 3. But no license or 1Password 6. You will want to either purchase 1Password 6 as a standalone purchase or get a 1Password.com membership subscription.

In the case of standalone, Dropbox and iCloud are both available.

In the case of the membership subscription, you would use 1Password.com for sync and not use Dropbox or iCloud at all.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Rudy

• Fastidious
    Fastidious
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. Now I am more confused I am using 1Password 6.8.6. It shows I am licensed for 5 people on as many Macs as needed. I can access 1Password.com, I am not trying to cheat here, So, if I want the advantage of the new build, what do I do? Do I purchase the app on the Mac app store and convert it, or somehow convert it within what I have? Do I even need to or want to? Thank you in advance for your prompt response.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Fastidious - The problem here may be one of definitions. There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

As a standalone product:

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain on your device.

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at 1Password.com.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

If you're wanting to convert to using 1Password.com account exclusively, you'll want to first migrate your existing data from your local (standalone) vault(s) into your 1password.com vaults. Then, once your standalone vault is empty, you can remove it by opening 1Password Preferences > Advanced and UN-checking the box marked Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts. That should get you up and running, but let us know if you need further clarification or you run into any problems. Cheers! :)

• Fastidious
    Fastidious
    Community Member
    Options

I have a Family account. Under accounts, it shows subscribed. I stopped syncing with Dropbox, but the check box you refer to is grayed out.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Fastidious - If the checkbox is greyed out, that means you have more local vaults than just "Primary." You'll want to move data out of your other local (standalone) vaults first, into your 1password.com vault(s), then delete those other local vaults. To delete a local vault besides Primary, make sure it is selected in the vault menu (top left of the main 1Password window), then in the menubar of your Mac, choose 1Password > Delete (name of vault) Vault.

When you have only the Primary vault remaining, you can use that checkbox; it should be usable. Let us know how that goes!

• Fastidious
    Fastidious
    Community Member
    Options

Lars,
    Thank you. All seems to be in order. I do notice that 1Password takes its time to open on the Mac, but it seems faster than when I was using Dropbox. I presume that there is local storage of the information in case there is no web access. I also notice that I have to use the main password now to log on with the Mac where I used to have a separate local password. The local password still works on the iPhone and iPad. I must say I find that a bit confusing. That said, your program does what I need it to do. Thank you for your effort.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Fastidious - when you say "takes its time," can you be more specific? There's a significant amount of crypto that has to happen to unlock 1Password, so a short delay is expected, but there's a difference between a slight delay and one that would indicate an issue.

There is indeed a local cache of your data that resides on your Mac when you use a 1password.com account within 1Password for Mac. And yes, the main purpose of it is so that you don't require an internet connection to access your 1Password data.

If you're using two different Master Passwords between your iOS devices and your Mac, that means you still have the Primary vault on your iOS devices. If all of your 1Password data is now in your 1password.com account, then you can use these instructions to start over on your iOS devices. When you begin again, scan your Setup Code to sign into your 1password.com account only, and you should be using the same Master Password everywhere.

• Fastidious
    Fastidious
    Community Member
    Options

Again, thank you. You were right again. As for the Mac, it sometimes takes up to a minute for the program to open after entering my password. On the phone, it is virtually instant. I only wish the iMac had facial or touch ID for the new long passwords.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Fastidious - up to a minute? Something's not right, then. To get a better idea of what that might be, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#BRY-13318-789]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @Fastidious only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: BRY-13318-789

This discussion has been closed.