Bug: Settings for 1Password Browser Extension integrations will be resetted during upgrades

dahanbn
dahanbn
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I know that is an old topic. I still use 1Password4 in Firefox and 1Password7 in Chrome. Therefore I have in 1Password7 Native Messaging for Firefox disabled. Unfortunately, 1Password Beta enables that setting for each update.

Updates shouldn't modify local settings. It's annoying and tiresome to disable that setting each time. Please don't mess with local settings during an upgrade without good reasons. They should stay untouched.

1Password Version: 7.0.519.BETA-519
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @dahanbn,

Thanks for reporting this.

Please don't mess with local settings during an upgrade without good reasons.

There is a good reason, 1Password 7 will replace 1Password 4. Otherwise, all of our 1Password 4 customers who choose to upgrade to 1Password 7 will have no working 1Password extensions.

We already have a lot of people writing in through emails saying 1Password 6 or even 7 extensions don't work and it turns out because 1Password 6/7 didn't have Native Messaging turned on.

While the upgrade to 1Password 7 will enable Native Messaging support by default regardless of previous 1Password installs, the updates should not be overwriting any settings at all. We'll investigate to see what's going on, it may be our recent changes to support Group Policy settings. I personally haven't seen any settings being reset here but it may be limited to Native Messaging support only.

Note that Websocket will not be supported either, which means we may get rid of Native Messaging options as well.

• Hi @dahanbn,

I've been testing this, it's not the update itself. If you uncheck the options, restart 1Password 7, it'd have it enabled again.

We'll review this because technically, this should be correct if we want 1Password 7 to replace 1Password 4.

• MikeT
    edited February 2018

Hi @dahanbn,

That is a setup we will not be supporting in 1Password 7. 1Password 7 is an upgrade to 1Password 4, which means it will replace 1Password 4 on the system and you cannot have it co-existing anymore.

Is there a specific reason you'd be using 1Password 4 and 7 at the same time that we may not be aware of?

• Hi @dahanbn,

Thanks for the edge case, we understand. We do want to support "profiles", so that you could switch between 1Password databases but right now, both 1Password 4/6 doesn't technically support that configuration. We often recommend that you create separate Windows profiles, you wouldn't want one user to accidentally compromise the account with malware that would affect everyone reusing the same account.

• Hi @dahanbn,

It will be removed soon and we will eventually start removing 1Password 4 when we get closer to the final release of 1Password 7.

This discussion has been closed.