1Password 4 - Keyboard shortcut for "Auto-type" button?

Options

I am wondering if there is a way to use the "auto-type" functionality for a password that will automatically type the password into another window. (I am talking in the context of the 1Password app and any other window, NOT with using the browser extension and a webpage).

Right now my "flow" for non-webpage based accounts is to launch 1Password, Ctrl-F to get to the search bar (I have a lot of passwords), type the name of the account I want, then enter and I can use the arrow keys to select through the results.

But then I still need to manually CLICK the "auto-type" button to get 1Password to type this into another open window. Alternatively I can click the Copy and then paste it into the other window myself.

I did find a bit of a work around, in that I found if I press Tab while highlighted on an account credential entry in my search results, the cursor then appears on the Password field in that entry. I can highlight the whole field with Shift-End but I cannot copy that (since the password is still hidden). What works is if I hold Ctrl-R to reveal the password then tap "C" (since Ctrl is already pressed) and this successfully copies the password. But I find that to be a but cumbersome.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• @Geraden: If your Login item is linked to the app you're filling in, using your keyboard shortcut in the app should be all you need to do. Here's how you can create a linked Login item for an app (if you're adding the as a second URL to an existing item, skip to Step 4):

1. Open the app.
    2. In 1Password, click New Item and choose Login.
    3. Enter a name for the Login, your username and password for the program, and click the OK button.
    4. Click the Edit button.
    5. Hold down Ctrl and click the Add URL button.
    6. Select the application from the menu that appears.
    7. Click OK to save your changes.

Hopefully this saved you all the time in the world and if you have questions or run into hiccups, let us know. :chuffed:

• Geraden
    Geraden
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate Ok, that is cool. I never knew I could use the 1Password Ctrl+\ hotkey to unlock with anything other than within a browser.

Previously for anything that wasn't a browser-based login I've used the Generic Account type. Assuming there is no way to do this with the Generic Account type, I am now looking at a whole bunch of "Generic Account" type entries in my 1Password vault that I need to convert to "Login" type entries in order to make use of this feature. Is there an easy way to convert them to Login types?

• @Geraden: There is not a truly easy way to make this change (and the above will only work with Login items). The main thing that's tripping me up in considering the best way to create those new items, too, is that you cannot interact with anything else in 1Password window when the New Item dialogue is open making it tough even to copy/paste existing info from your Account items to the new Login items. The best thing I can suggest it to first copy/paste into Notepad (or possibly export the items you want to turn into Logins?), then copy/paste into the new Login item from there.

1Password 7 should handle this a bit better when it's ready to go with full standalone vault support (you'd be able to copy/paste from mini there, taking Notepad out of the equation), but changing item types is something we're still working on making better. I'm sorry I don't have more seamless ideas, but hopefully thinking about the time saved over time from using the keyboard shortcut to fill will provide some solace. :+1:

• Geraden
    Geraden
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate Okay, then my feedback regarding this issue is to, like you say, make changing types easier. Why is there even a Generic Account type?

And second of all, and more importantly, this is a really cool feature and I've been using 1Password for YEARS without any idea about it. Before today I was under the impression that you could only do this type of thing from within the browser due to the browser extension. I thought any other application you needed to manually launch 1Password, find the login and use the AutoType or Copy buttons.

Even the fact that the Add URL button only turns to Add App if you hold Ctrl makes this a SUPER hard feature to find and figure out. I'm sure if there was a distinct Add Application button or something I may have been more likely to look at what that button is for and find this feature.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks for the help!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi there @Geraden,

Thank you for the detailed feedback! Your two cents are really appreciated. :)

The improvements for different features of 1Password are always on our mind and discoverability of those features is another thing we would like to make better in future updates. Please stay tuned. :+1:

If there is anything else we can help you with, you know where to find us. We are always happy to help. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.