Confusion about master passwords and family accounts

Options
edtruck
edtruck
Community Member

I searched high and low through the forum for an answer to my situation, and I couldn't find anything. Hopefully this is not a repeat question.

Here's my situation:

• used 1Password on Macbook 1 for years
  • bought Macbook 2 and gave Macbook 1 to wife
  • signed wife up for 1Password family
  • for some reason, she cannot sign into 1Password on Macbook 1 using her own master password and has to use mine instead; she is able to use her own master password on her iMac, so I know the family account is working as designed

Now we want to switch to individual accounts (instead of family). I need help with the following:
1) how do I get Macbook 1 to use her master password, not mine, and
2) how do we divide our family account into two individual accounts without losing our private vault passwords?

1Password Version: latest
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: latest OS X
Sync Type: 1Password.com family account

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @edtruck,

For her to use her own Master Password she would need to enter her email address and her Secret Key at the sign-in screen. If she is entering your email address and your Secret Key then your Master Password will be required. If your account has already been added that will need to be removed first. It may make the most sense to start over with 1Password on that computer. From the locked screen select Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data. 1Password must be locked to access this menu.

Once you are both signed into your respective accounts within the 1Password Families membership you can each also sign up for individual accounts, sign into those in 1Password, and then move your data from your 1Password Families based vaults to the vault in the individual account. Once you’ve accomplished that you can cancel the subscription for the 1Password Families membership and remove that account from each of your apps.

Move items between vaults

I hope that helps!

Ben

• edtruck
    edtruck
    Community Member
    Options

This is great, @Ben. Thanks for the quick reply! I figured there was a way to start fresh on Macbook 1 but wasn't sure how to do it without permanently deleting passwords. Just to clarify/confirm, clicking "reset all 1password data" will only reset info on that computer and will not delete any passwords synced through 1password.com accounts, correct?

• Ben
    Options

That is correct. :)

Ben

• edtruck
    edtruck
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again. Great product and support!

• Ben
    Options

You’re very welcome. Thanks for the kind words! If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.