How can I sync a primary vault on an iPhone with 1 Password app on a PC?

Options

My daughter has the 1Password app on her iPhone. She has a primary vault but is also part of our family with access to her own and shared vaults. The family account vaults obviously sync fine, but is there a way to sync her Primary vault on her iPhone with her PC. She does not have a Windows app at this time. She is just using her iPhone for primary vault items or logging into her account online for shared vaults.

1Password Version: iOS (not on PC yet)
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: iOS
Sync Type: 1Password family account
Referrer: forum-search:syncing a primary vault with iPhone and a PC

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello there @pdnd93,

Thank you for getting in touch and using 1Password!

Since Primary vault does not belong to a family account and is stored locally on an iPhone, we recommend you to do the following to avoid any further confusion:

1) Add your daughter's family account to 1Password app on her iPhone and follow the onscreen instructions to move the data from Primary vault to a Personal one in her family account. Here is how:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

2) Install 1Password app on the Windows PC and sign in to her family account there. This way she will be able to see her data (both Personal and shared vaults) on all of her devices:

Get 1Password app for Windows

Please give it a try and let us know how it goes. We will be looking forward to your reply!

Cheers,
    Greg

• pdnd93
    pdnd93
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply! She already does have our family account linked to her iPhone. The issue is that the 1Password account vaults obviously sync automatically, but the the Primary Vault needs to have syncing established. Do you recommend the above for simplicity? Is the 1Password account vault more (or less) secure than the primary vault (whether only on the iPhone or whether synced to the 1Password app on the Windows PC)? For me I have a Primary Vault and my family account co-existing... Thanks for the further clarification.

• @pdnd93: Using a Primary vault is safe, of course, but we do recommend keeping everything in your 1Password.com account. It's simpler and, yes, safer that way. Not only is data synced via 1Password.com encrypted end-to-end, just like your Primary vault, it has an extra layer of security in the form of your Secret Key that helps to make your Master Password stronger and protect your data when it's stored remotely on our servers. :chuffed:

1Password.com also makes it easier to ensure your data is always available to you by allowing for recovery options if you forget your Master Password or lose your Secret Key. You also have a means to access your data when you don't have one of your trusted devices handy by viewing it on 1Password.com. Plus, the only thing you need to do to get your 1Password.com data on a new device is sign in. That's it. Sign in to your account and your data is waiting for you. With a Primary vault, you need to have synced it from your old device (even if that was the only device you were using at the time) or have a backup from a device of the same type available.

As you can probably tell, I'd choose to use 1Password.com on its own, but if you do decide to keep the Primary vault(s), you can sync them and definitely should (even on a single device) to make sure you don't lose access to that data if something happens to your devices. :+1:

• pdnd93
    pdnd93
    Community Member
    Options

Great! That is clear! Thanks for the help!

• @pdnd93: Not a problem at all! If you have any questions as you set things up to sync, just let us know. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.