Search accross vaults

girtsn
girtsn
Community Member

Hello I am trying to do a search in Android over All Items, the search results are limited to my primary vault although all vaults are selected. If I switch to the secondary vault, the item in question is found.

1Password Version: 6.7.2.BETA-2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 7.1.1
Sync Type: 1password account

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@girtsn: Thanks for getting in touch! I'm not able to reproduce what you're describing. Did you perhaps exclude that vault from All Vaults (Settings > Vaults)? That would explain what you're experiencing. Let me know!

• girtsn
    girtsn
    Community Member

You are right by default only personal and shared vaults are included, though I have to say "Vaults included in All Vaults" in itself is a contradiction... Someone who never visited the settings would be convinced All Vaults means exactly that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@girtsn: I didn't say that, but no it isn't a contradiction. "All Vaults" is the name of a feature. It's user-configurable, but we're not going to change its name and introduce more confusion when most people do use the default. And by default, literally all vaults (lowercase, referring to every vault you have in the app) are included in All Vaults (capital, the feature which can display everything at once). Certain ones will only not be included if you expressly exclude them. Since many people have expressed a desire to be able to do this, we added that as an option, but we don't have control over how you configure this.

• girtsn
    girtsn
    Community Member

@brenty you seem a bit too aggressive in your communications here (referring also to previous conversations on opvault support and push to move to storing vaults in cloud for all users). Although I surely see that a product owner or a similar role within a development team should protect the product and the choices made with it, it should not defy logic or argue because of arguing, instead should trying to see the situation from the customer's perspective more
    1. "by default only personal and shared vaults are included" - It seems quite clear from this thread that somehow I got into the situation where "All vaults" did not include some of my vaults, and the quote was my conclusion of what the feature is. From that I would likely deduce there might be a bug in the application - the most likely suspect being new vaults created while Android All vaults setting is stored. This is what happened.
    2. "All vaults" has a very strong meaning - this is also just common logic, As a new user, if I select "All vaults" I expect that the search and displayed items would indeed be from all vaults. As stated above, someone not aware there is a filter applied would be very confused and not see that there is a setting that redefines "all". Of course, I might not have noticed if the bug in point 1 did not occur.
    Imho, a much better feature would be to also (like for items) introduce a "favorite" flag on vaults in settings and make a new selector from vault selection hierarchy called "favorites" - this could be a cross device feature.
    Then it becomes a clear hierarchy and the feature to really search in all vaults is always accessible.
    All vaults
    Favorites

• vault 1
    • vault 2
    • vault 3
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018

you seem a bit too aggressive in your communications here (referring also to previous conversations on opvault support and push to move to storing vaults in cloud for all users).

@girtsn: I'm not sure I follow. We still support both 1Password.com accounts and local vaults, have announced that 1Password 7 will as well, and are currently testing this in the new app on Windows.

Although I surely see that a product owner or a similar role within a development team should protect the product and the choices made with it, it should not defy logic or argue because of arguing, instead should trying to see the situation from the customer's perspective more

I wasn't trying to argue, just explaining how it works and why it works that way. I'm sorry if I communicated that poorly. This is a feature that has existed for years, and was expressly added due to customer feedback. There's always room for improvement though, so we're open to suggestions. Just keep in mind that we're not likely to change something that many people depend on hastily.

1. "by default only personal and shared vaults are included" - It seems quite clear from this thread that somehow I got into the situation where "All vaults" did not include some of my vaults, and the quote was my conclusion of what the feature is. From that I would likely deduce there might be a bug in the application - the most likely suspect being new vaults created while Android All vaults setting is stored. This is what happened.

Then I apologize for completely misunderstanding. I'm just not seeing that here and haven't heard other reports. What is the bug you're seeing? It's certainly possible that there is one. That just wasn't my understanding of your comments. It really just sounded like you had some trouble finding something in a search because you'd excluded some vaults from All Vaults, and that adding the vault back to the All Vaults view resolved the issue. Please clarify if that's not the case, and let me know the steps you're taking so I can try to reproduce the issue you're experiencing.

1. "All vaults" has a very strong meaning - this is also just common logic, As a new user, if I select "All vaults" I expect that the search and displayed items would indeed be from all vaults. As stated above, someone not aware there is a filter applied would be very confused and not see that there is a setting that redefines "all". Of course, I might not have noticed if the bug in point 1 did not occur.

I get what you're saying, but a new user already has everything shown in All Vaults, no exclusions. The "filter" is only applied if you set it up that way.

Imho, a much better feature would be to also (like for items) introduce a "favorite" flag on vaults in settings and make a new selector from vault selection hierarchy called "favorites" - this could be a cross device feature. Then it becomes a clear hierarchy and the feature to really search in all vaults is always accessible.

That's a really interesting idea! I'm not sure about calling it "favorites" for obvious reasons, but I agree it would be nice to be able to manage this at the account level. It isn't possible now due to some legacy baggage, but I can see how it would be useful to not have to setup these exclusions individually for each device. Travel Mode could be used this way, but since it isn't designed for that it would mean giving up normal use of the feature. Hopefully we can do more in this area in the future — especially as more and more of us get more and more vaults. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

• girtsn
    girtsn
    Community Member

@brenty was referring to initially teased opvault support in the Android app which never came and the subsequent message that opvault is already a deprecated store format with cloud store being the only format going on - in any case switched to cloud as for family, it is the easiest option disregarding the uneasy feeling of storing the data server-side

Did a test and indeed, cannot reproduce it by just creating a new vault with already existing All Vault settings - it does get added by default, though somehow it must have happened as I was not aware the all vaults filter setting existed so never changed it in Android. Suppose can be written of as some corner case if no one else encountered it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

was referring to initially teased opvault support in the Android app which never came and the subsequent message that opvault is already a deprecated store format with cloud store being the only format going on - in any case switched to cloud as for family, it is the easiest option disregarding the uneasy feeling of storing the data server-side

@girtsn: Fortunately 1Password's security model is built on encryption. Otherwise we wouldn't have been storing our own data "in the cloud" for about a decade now either. And regarding OPVault, 1Password for Android does support it. I've been using it there for quite a while and still do alongside my 1Password.com accounts.

Did a test and indeed, cannot reproduce it by just creating a new vault with already existing All Vault settings - it does get added by default, though somehow it must have happened as I was not aware the all vaults filter setting existed so never changed it in Android. Suppose can be written of as some corner case if no one else encountered it.

Frankly, I'll be the first to admit to poking around and changing settings in my stuff, either without understanding exactly what they do, forgetting later that I'd done so, or both. As Sherlock says, "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." I'm sorry if the name of the feature contributed to any confusion there, but glad it's working for you as expected at least. Cheers! :)

• girtsn
    girtsn
    Community Member

And regarding OPVault, 1Password for Android does support it.

Indeed, it does support it unless you are one of the unlucky folks synchronizing your vault manually :) At least I moved away from that sad group and now use the cloud solution.

Frankly, I'll be the first to admit to poking around and changing settings in my stuff, either without understanding exactly what they do, forgetting later that I'd done so, or both. As Sherlock says, "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Oh well, let's assume it was that and I fiddled with the inclusion settings wrongly at some point. Hopefully you would be able to implement that cross device filtering system - but even as is 1password is one of the best products I ever used.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, it does support it unless you are one of the unlucky folks synchronizing your vault manually :) At least I moved away from that sad group and now use the cloud solution.

@girtsn: That's a good point. OPVault isn't available for every use case.

Oh well, let's assume it was that and I fiddled with the inclusion settings wrongly at some point. Hopefully you would be able to implement that cross device filtering system - but even as is 1password is one of the best products I ever used.

Thanks for the kind words! There are a number of things like that we'd like to use to make things more seamless across devices where we can. There are definitely downsides and challenges involved, but we'll see what we can come up with. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.