Can I move my agilebits keychain to Sync?

I recently got a message from Dropbox that they no longer support Lion and thus logged me out of Dropbox on my Lion machine. (I have 1Password 3 on that machine.) I actually do nearly all of my syncing on Sync.com, which works just like Dropbox and is valid back to OS X 10.5. Can I move my agilekeychain there? (By the way, I have 1Password 6 on my other machines, which have El Capitan.)

1Password Version: 1Password 3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.7.5
Sync Type: Sync.com

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018

@catservants - well met, fellow Sync user! I like their service as well. However, we've not tested it nor worked with their APIs in the same way we've done for nearly a decade with Dropbox. In short, while we've heard reports from users that various different sync services work with 1Password, none of them are supported by us. To be as blunt as possible: this would be at your own risk, and I don't recommend it. The only thing I can recommend is that you use the latest versions of not just 1Password but also the OS on which your devices run, as well as related supporting software. If you can upgrade the Mac on which you run Lion to at least OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite"), you should be able to install 1Password 6 for Mac and continue using the new version 2 of Dropbox's API, which will allow you to continue using Dropbox sync.

And if you want a truly hassle-free method of keeping your 1Password data available and up-to-date on all your devices, check out a 1password.com account.

• catservants
    catservants
    Community Member

Thanks. So, Sync is out. I've been aware of the 1password.com account, but I am highly resistant to the subscription model of software. I have 250 applications -- if every one even charged $1 a month, it would cost me $250 a month! No way! Microsoft has all but forced a subscription -- the non-subscription version is $150 for each machine with no support, so I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into that one. However, now looking at 1Password.com account again, I'm thinking it would actually be a valid candidate for a subscription. Yes, given today with devices everywhere, it does seem it would make more sense from a consumer view (even an anti-subscription one like me), and the subscription cost seems justified considering the nature of this software and its syncing (the work you must do for all that). A couple questions, though. First, your site says 1Password 6 is required for 1password.com accounts, but Lion will not work above 1Password 3. (That's my favorite 1Password version, by the way.) The keychain for that is in Dropbox. If I go to a 1Password.com account, what happens to my keychain for 1Password 3? I have multiple user accounts on the Lion machine -- where should the keychain go for that? Second question: I recently acquired an iPad that will not go beyond iOS 9. I tried to buy 1Password for it, but it said it is not available for that machine. If I had a 1Password.com account, could I use it on my iPad?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018

@catservants: Indeed. Most software isn't updated constantly, and doesn't need to be since you're not relying on it to protect your most important data. So it makes perfect sense to buy a license for a particular version of a word processor or note taking app and stick with that if you don't need any of the features added in a newer version. Sometimes it makes sense, and other times it doesn't. :)

First, your site says 1Password 6 is required for 1password.com accounts, but Lion will not work above 1Password 3. (That's my favorite 1Password version, by the way.) The keychain for that is in Dropbox. If I go to a 1Password.com account, what happens to my keychain for 1Password 3? I have multiple user accounts on the Lion machine -- where should the keychain go for that?

To be clear, this won't have anything to do with 1Password.com, as that was created years after Lion and 1Password 3. I'm really glad to hear that you enjoy 1Password 3 so much! I have fond memories of it myself. But you will be stuck using Dropbox there, which may not work since they've changed their service in recent years as well. Lion has not been supported by Apple for a long time, I believe the same is true of Dropbox, and 1Password 3 has not been under active development for over 5 years either, so you'll run into a number of issues there — to say nothing of security improvements that have been made over the years. You may be able to use the 1Password.com web interface there, but I am not super optimistic about that since you'll also be stuck on an old (and insecure) browser.

Second question: I recently acquired an iPad that will not go beyond iOS 9. I tried to buy 1Password for it, but it said it is not available for that machine. If I had a 1Password.com account, could I use it on my iPad?

Yep. While the App Store only lets you purchase the current version, once an app is in your Apple ID's purchase history you can download the most recent compatible version there. So in this case you'd need to "purchase" (it's a free download) 1Password 7 on a device running iOS 11 or in iTunes on a computer first. Then when you try to install it, the App Store will tell you version 7 won't work but then offer you 6.9.1 instead. That said, we don't recommend using outdated OSes (especially in the context of 1Password, since its purpose is to keep us more secure) since they won't have the benefit of important security fixes from the last few years. You'd also be missing out on all of the improvements we've made to 1Password since then, so it's best to upgrade as soon as you're able. That will also allow you to take full advantage of a 1Password.com membership, since that includes the latest version of all of the apps along with all of the features we have added already and will in the future.

So, ultimately, my advice would be to try it since you can for free, but with the understanding that you're probably better off upgrading your devices/OSes first since that will get you the most bang for your buck, so to speak. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease", as they say! :)

This discussion has been closed.