Why have items ended up in trash in the app?

brownidj
brownidj
Community Member

I recently reinstalled 1Password on my MacBook and restored items from my personal vault (I have a family account of which I am the organiser) to discover that only 6 items restored but the other 999 were in Trash (in the app - all seems well in my 1Password account). I have not been able to move items from trash, and where has my Personal vault gone?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• brownidj
    brownidj
    Community Member

Maybe I should say that I have a recent version of High Sierra and the latest downloaded version of 1Password from the Apple App Store

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brownidj: Can you tell me what you mean by "restored items"? It sounds like you may be restoring from a backup of your Primary (local) vault. That would explain why you're seeing everything in your account. Are the 6 items something you need? I think there may be some confusion about where you're saving data. The Primary vault (and any other local vaults) are not in any way associated with a 1Password.com account. Let me know what you find!

• brownidj
    brownidj
    Community Member

Hi , and thanks for the response. I had restored from a backup on Dropbox and from that I got 6 items in the primary vault - but no other vaults, or so I thought, though all previous entries seemed to be in Trash. I have just opened the 1Password app on my laptop (to try to be precise about things), and, hey presto. all vaults are back - without any further intervention on my part. (I have been waiting patiently for a response to my forum post before taking any further steps.) This is some 10-12 hours after I first tried to restore and after I noticed that all my items apart from the 6 mentioned above were in Trash. So, upon the initial restore, I immediately looked at my 1Password.com account and saw that all was well there.

I am somewhat confused by why this took the length of time it did, and why things seem to have found their way into Trash. I might add that I made sure the backup file was in my local dropbox folder before doing a restore.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brownidj: Thanks for letting me know! Just to clarify, any vaults you have in Dropbox are completely separate from your account. So I'd encourage you to make sure you have all of your data in your account and then remove the Dropbox (local) vault to avoid confusion in the future by disabling local vaults in Preferences > Advanced.

Regarding the Trash, it sounds like what you did was move your data to the account initially, which would have resulted in all the items being trashed in the original vault, which you later restored from instead of just signing into your account. There's just no reason to restore from a local backup if all of your data is in your account, and there's good reason not to: this sort of confusion. Definitely let me know how it turns out so we don't leave any loose ends. :)

This discussion has been closed.