I put 1Password onto a new MacBook, and I still get 'read-only' and "click here to buy a license"

Options
humphreykj56
humphreykj56
Community Member

I put 1Password onto a new MacBook, and I still get 'read-only' and "click here to buy a license. I bought 1Password from the iTunes Store in August 2012 (can you believe it!) and have sincerely told many people it's the best.

I do have the original receipt. Can you help rectify? I store the Primary Vault on Dropbox, and I can see the data - but it's read-only. The browser extension has been installed and verified.

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:read-only

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2018
    Options

First question is whether your new installation used the same Apple ID as your original purchase.

Very probably it is the same. A purchase in 2012 would mean that you were using the old one-time licence. The "read-only" would refer to the newer subscription, and you have not purchased a subscription.

The first thing I would try is to set the All Vaults tab of 1PW preferences so that only the Primary vault shows up in All Vaults (and so that new passwords are saved to Primary). That may solve the problem. If not I think you will to start again, choosing the option "I have used 1PW before".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@humphreykj56: Indeed, there are a few possibilities here. First, if you purchased 1Password in iTunes, that's going to be 1Password for iOS, which will not work on a Mac (or other devices). "Read-only" indicates you've installed 1Password from the Mac App Store, but have not actually purchased it there using this Apple ID; you're just using the free download, which will have trial limitations unless you pay for it. If you purchased 1Password for Mac from the AgileBits Store, you'll need to install the app from there and use your license:

https://1password.com/downloads/

Just keep in mind that if you purchased a very old version, that will not work for the current one. In that case, you may want to consider a 1Password.com membership, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• humphreykj56
    humphreykj56
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, I'd download 1Password from the App Store to the Mac laptop - gotta remember not to do that. Downloaded from the Agilebits site and it works! Thank you, Brenty!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@humphreykj56 - on behalf of brenty, you're quite welcome! Glad he was able to assist.

This discussion has been closed.