Team user app. login

I use 1Password Teams. My wife has her own vault, but access to shared vaults. I am the primary. I use the standalone app. on my computer all the time and I'd like my wife to be able to do the same without having to log into the web version as she will likely use this software more. I have added her account to the standalone app, however, it requires MY master password for her to get in and not HER master password. How can I change this?

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.7.BETA-2 (687002) AgileBit
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: osx:10.13.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @tjlynchjr

The way unlocking 1Password works is:

• If a Primary vault exists 1Password will always unlock using the Master Password for that vault. This supersedes all of the following rules.
    • If a single 1Password.com account is logged in then 1Password will unlock using the Master Password for that account.
    • If multiple 1Password.com accounts are logged in then 1Password will unlock using the Master Password of the first account that was added.

The answer to your question depends a bit on which situation you fall into.

Ben

• tjlynchjr
    tjlynchjr
    Community Member

I was in scenario 3 but deleted that account. When I added my wife’s account, I ended up in scenario 1, but not sure how since it was her QR code I used to add the account. I want to get into scenario 2.

• Okay, thanks for the detailed explanation. You can get there by selecting 1Password > Preferences > Advanced > Uncheck the box for allowing creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts. This will remove the Primary vault, so be sure there is no data she needs to keep in there.

Ben

• tjlynchjr
    tjlynchjr
    Community Member

I think we are close, but when I go where you say, that option is greyed out with the message "You have several vaults outside of your 1Password accounts. They must be deleted before you can disable this feature." Is this because I'm syncing with Dropbox?

I could disable that feature on MY computer, again, which is the primary, but not on HER computer, where she is the member of a team.

I really appreciate your help with this.

• @tjlynchjr,

Does your wife have any vaults that she needs access to that are not visible to her by logging in to one of her 1Password.com accounts (using the website)? If all of the information she needs is available to her through 1Password.com then she can switch to each non-1Password.com vault and then from the File menu select Delete Vault. When the Primary vault is the last remaining non-1Password.com vault left she can use the option mentioned above.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• tjlynchjr
    tjlynchjr
    Community Member

It worked. You rock. I love the product more already and that is pretty hard to do because I LOVE 1Password as it is the only app I use EVERY...SINGLE...DAY.

Thanks for the great help and service!

• Excellent. Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that worked out. :) Enjoy!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.