The Times - unable to login with 1P

davidgordon
davidgordon
Community Member
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
The Times - a British newspaper - is going behind a paywall. You can try the paper free for the next few weeks after registering (free, no payment details required). I've done that and saved my username and password in 1P however every time I try and use it to login I fail. I have double checked the username and password, perhaps a few other people might like to confirm this for me. If its not my problem I'll raise it with The Times.

You'll fine The Times at http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/ Clicking any story will take you to the login "page". From there you will be taken to the registration page at https://www.timesplus.co.uk/iam/app/subscription?execution=e14s1

Thanks

DG

Comments

• rob
    rob
    edited December 1969
    The Times - a British newspaper - is going behind a paywall. You can try the paper free for the next few weeks after registering (free, no payment details required). I've done that and saved my username and password in 1P however every time I try and use it to login I fail. I have double checked the username and password, perhaps a few other people might like to confirm this for me. If its not my problem I'll raise it with The Times.

You'll fine The Times at http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/ Clicking any story will take you to the login "page". From there you will be taken to the registration page at https://www.timesplus.co.uk/iam/app/subscription?execution=e14s1

Thanks

DG

Hi, David.

Have you tried typing your credentials manually? That would let us know if it is a problem with 1Password or not. If you cannot login at all manually, then you may need to contact The Times. If you can manually, but not with 1Password, let us know, and we'll go from there.

Thanks!
  • davidgordon
    davidgordon
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    <Rob /> wrote:

Have you tried typing your credentials manually?

Thanks, yes, I can login and view the site, just not when using 1P!

I was hoping a couple of people here might like to register (it is free and it is a respected site!) to confirm my trouble.

Thanks again.

DG
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969

Sorry for the trouble, David. Someone tweeted about this earlier (not sure if it was you), saying that the password was entered in both fields. I wasn't able to reproduce this problem. Normally, 1Password can extract the appropriate login information from a saved registration form and use that to log you in, but sometimes that doesn't work 100%. It sounds like this might be such a case. Please try manually saving the form by entering your e-mail address and password, then clicking 1P > Save Login. When I did this (using dummy information), 1Password properly entered the e-mail address in the e-mail field and the password in the password field.

If this doesn't help or the problem you're experiencing is a different one, please let us know and we'll investigate further.
  • davidgordon
    davidgordon
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    justG wrote:
    Someone tweeted about this earlier (not sure if it was you)

No, not me but interesting to hear I'm not the only one.

saying that the password was entered in both fields.

No, I can see my username in the login, the password is asterisked out but looks too long.

When I enter my correct password 1P isn't asking me if I want to save or amend it. I have now deleted The Times login from 1P, restarted Safari and gone back to The Times and manually logged in. 1P now offers to save the login and I can see it is doing so correctly. Another quit from Safari and when trying to log back into The Times 1P apparently fails to enter the correct password. Same as before.

When I did this (using dummy information), 1Password properly entered the e-mail address in the e-mail field and the password in the password field.

Are you saying you can log in and read articles beyond the 'front' page. Or are you just saying 1P puts a password into the password field. There is a big difference!

Thanks

DG
  • ajkphotography
    ajkphotography
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi,

It's a bit of a confusing problem but with the limited testing I've done I've found that the login problem occurs with Safari but not Chrome or Firefox.

I logged in manually and also saved the login manually in 1PW because I didn't see the usual prompt to save login. The login worked correctly with both Chrome and Firefox 1PW extensions but not Safari for some reason, instead producing the password problem you describe.
  • davidgordon
    davidgordon
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I've found that the login problem occurs with Safari but not Chrome or Firefox.

Good, thanks for that. I've only been trying with Safari but I can login using 1P and Firefox as expected. So its a Safari problem?

DG
  • davidgordon
    davidgordon
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks Stu. The log out is another odd thing. I can log out but the site still says "Welcome David". I do appear to be logged out as following a link to another article gets me back to the log in page.

However, I'm not so worried about that, its the logging in with 1P that's important.

The log in page itself is new to me. Its more like a pop over - my terminology may be wrong - you can see the original home page under the login 'window'.

Thanks again for your assistance.

DG
  • ajkphotography
    ajkphotography
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I too noticed the problems with logging out but I'm guessing that's something to do with cookies. The situation maybe isn't helped by the fact that the login is at timesplus.co.uk while the content is at thetimes.co.uk but what do I know. :lol:

Luckily on the rare occasion that Safari fails us we do have great alternatives.
  • davidgordon
    davidgordon
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    The situation maybe isn't helped by the fact that the login is at timesplus.co.uk while the content is at thetimes.co.uk

That's because you can access both The Times and The Sunday Times from the same subscription.

Luckily on the rare occasion that Safari fails us we do have great alternatives.

I'm hoping we can fix this for Safari. I prefer it and its easier helping others when we're all using the same applications. I hate switching around!

DG
  • ajkphotography
    ajkphotography
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Yes I later noticed the separate Times and Sunday Times sites but it seems a strange way to do it and they ought to be able to arrange it through one domain.

I too prefer Safari and it's my default browser so yes I agree that it would be great if a fix can be found but I'm getting to rather like Chrome which is streamlined like Safari and seems as fast so it's at least a great backup.

Having said all that and as much as I like the Times I can't see many people paying to use the website so very few are likely to be affected by the problem. Hopefully a solution can be found.
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I'd suggest that you edit the saved Logins item to have a Submit value of "Never". That way the fields will be filled in and you control the behavior by clicking the appropriate action button ("sign in", Login, ...). Sometimes this is enough to get around balky web forms.
  • davidgordon
    davidgordon
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    MartyS wrote:
    I'd suggest that you edit the saved Logins item to have a Submit value of "Never".

Thanks Marty but,sorry, that doesn't work. I get "Invalid password" next to the password box (yes.... I have double checked!) even with the Submit value set to "Never".

I'm hoping you guys will take a real look at this by signing up for a login as I suggest above. While AJK suggests not many people will be affected, Rupert Murdoch isn't a fly by night operator and if this works out for him you will soon see all his other papers behind log-in screens as well.
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Thanks Marty but,sorry, that doesn't work. I get "Invalid password" next to the password box (yes.... I have double checked!) even with the Submit value set to "Never".

Thanks for the update, DG. I'm about to sign up to test along with Gita and Stu who have already set up accounts there.

I'm hoping you guys will take a real look at this by signing up for a login as I suggest above. While AJK suggests not many people will be affected, Rupert Murdoch isn't a fly by night operator and if this works out for him you will soon see all his other papers behind log-in screens as well.

We don't seem to have the same difficulty with the Wall Street Journal (also owned by Rupert Murdoch and behind a pay-wall). Nonetheless we do need to figure out what is happening with the combination of 1Password, Safari, and thetimes.co.uk.

At the moment, I am getting a server error from The Times when I try to enroll in the free preview.

Proxy Error

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
    The proxy server could not handle the request GET /iam/app/subscription.

Reason: Error reading from remote server

Note that this is their front-end proxy that is reporting the error. So I will have to wait for things to settle down a bit on the Times' web site before I can test further.
  • davidgordon
    davidgordon
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the update Jeffrey, I appreciate you looking into this.

DG
  • ajkphotography
    ajkphotography
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Just to clarify, when I say that I don't think many will be affected, I mean with the current price structure, so once the free trial is up I don't think many will pay to use the website when there's still great free or cheap alternatives around. Paying for access through an app is more likely, especially if the price is right.

That's all irrelevant though and I'm sure a solution will be found soon enough.
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the update Jeffrey, I appreciate you looking into this.

Sure thing, DG. On the whole it doesn't look like a very Safari-friendly site, but I hope we'll be able to offer some help.

Cheers,

-j
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Just to clarify, when I say that I don't think many will be affected, I mean with the current price structure, so once the free trial is up I don't think many will pay to use the website when there's still great free or cheap alternatives around.

I'm inclined to agree with you on the one hand. On the other hand, betting against Rupert Murdoch rarely pays off.

Paying for access through an app is more likely, especially if the price is right.

I think that it. Thanks for that observation.

Cheers,

-j
  • ccbc
    ccbc
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I am having trouble using 1P for Mac with the new Times website and don't
    know what to suggest (or to who) to fix it:

Go to http://www.timesplus.co.uk/welcome/index.htm then click Login...

I have saved the login (email and password) but when I apply it to the site
    using the 1P menu the password gets mangled - it is 4 or 5 characters longer
    than it should be.

However, when I simply copy and paste the password from 1P it works fine.

Any ideas?

This is the only site I have problems with...
  • ccbc
    ccbc
    Community Member
    edited June 2010
    Ooops - just seen the other thread on the subject - pls ignore this

I've posted a workaround to the other thread....

Chris: I moved your posts into this thread. Cheers! ~Cindy
  • ccbc
    ccbc
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I've just discovered a workaround to this:

1. Right click or Ctrl-click in the login form
    2. Choose Open Frame in New Tab
    3. Enter credentials and use 1P as normal

It seems the form doesn't work with 1P in the popup...
  • ccbc
    ccbc
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    FWIW I reported the problem to The Times and just had this response:

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your email.

Please be assured that our technical team is currently working on this issue and it will shortly be resolved .

Regards
    Times Online
  • macpug
    macpug
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Chris, Thanks for the workaround and for reporting the issue. I've been trying to register for a couple of hours now, and haven't gotten the confirmation I need to be able to log in. I'll check back again in a bit and give it another shot. Hopefully The Times will get it taken care of, since it's obviously a Safari issue. Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.