Unable to open PayPal for its password while at a shopping site — both accessed by 1Password.

Bobmilw
Bobmilw
Community Member

Using 1Password, I used to be able to “hide” the shopping site when checking out so that I could look up my PayPal sign-in info. Now it seems that I have to sign out of the shopping site, get the PayPal info, and hope I remember the shopping site’s login ID and password. My memory is less than it used to be.

If recall correctly, earlier versions of 1Password had a symbol, “globe,” (?) at bottom of page that allowed switching between sites without having to sign out of either of them.

1Password Version: 7.0.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.2.5
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:Unable to open PayPal for its password while at a shopping site — both accessed by 1Password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bobmilw: What's the URL where you're having trouble? In some cases, websites try to get you to fill your PayPal login credentials into them directly, which is insecure, and 1Password will not allow this; it will only offer to fill paypal.com login credentials at a paypal.com URL.

However, it sounds like by "hide" you just mean you want to open 1Browser again after dismissing it. If you hold the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen in 1Password that will bring it back up. Let me know if that helps! :)

• Bobmilw
    Bobmilw
    Community Member

Hi,

My opening navigation bar in the lower part of the screen shows favorites, categories, organize, and settings.

Using 1Password favorites, I opened the shopping site, Pet Solutions. When I wanted to check out/purchase using PayPal, the site sends me to PayPal. The PayPal site opens, I then return to Favorites and get the PayPal login info.

The 1Password screen will have at this time the back & forward arrows, a send button, a key, and (don’t know name) symbol that when clicked shows multiple windows.

When I try to return to the Pet Solutions window, I’m asked to login again and, of course, I can’t remember the Pet Solutions login info.

It used to be a seamless process before for me where I could move back and forth between sites where I was logged in at both.

I wish I could be more clear.

Bob

• Bobmilw
    Bobmilw
    Community Member

FYI, my workaround: I copy 1Password PayPal login info to iPhone/iPad “Notes” before I ever begin using 1Password for login to a shopping such as Pet Solutions. Again, inconvenient and something easily done in an earlier version of 1Passwors.

Bob

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

My opening navigation bar in the lower part of the screen shows favorites, categories, organize, and settings.

@Bobmilw: Right. Hold your finger on that to open 1Browser manually. Otherwise it will open when you tap a URL in 1Password.

The 1Password screen will have at this time the back & forward arrows, a send button, a key, and (don’t know name) symbol that when clicked shows multiple windows.

Yep. That's 1Browser inside the 1Password app.

When I try to return to the Pet Solutions window, I’m asked to login again and, of course, I can’t remember the Pet Solutions login info. It used to be a seamless process before for me where I could move back and forth between sites where I was logged in at both. I wish I could be more clear.
    FYI, my workaround: I copy 1Password PayPal login info to iPhone/iPad “Notes” before I ever begin using 1Password for login to a shopping such as Pet Solutions. Again, inconvenient and something easily done in an earlier version of 1Passwors.

Did you try what I suggested?

• Bobmilw
    Bobmilw
    Community Member

Tried what you suggested several times, but don’t think either of us is communicating clearly

What is “that” when you wrote “Hold your finger on that....”

I have never had to use the browser internal to 1Password before. I never had to manually type in the URL. Is manual entry of a site’s address now required? I still don’t see how site switching and trying to be logged into two sites (shopping site & Paypal site) is enables with the 1Password browser.

I think I’ll continue my workaround of copying PayPal login info to “Notes.”

Not all updates are improvements.

Bob

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018

Tried what you suggested several times, but don’t think either of us is communicating clearly What is “that” when you wrote “Hold your finger on that....”

@Bobmilw: Sorry for the confusion. You said:

To which I replied:

Hold your finger on that to open 1Browser manually.

"That" referring to the navigation bar you had just mentioned. Hold your finger on the navigation bar at the bottom which shows Favorites, Categories, Organize, and Settings. That will allow you to open 1Browser manually.

I have never had to use the browser internal to 1Password before. I never had to manually type in the URL. Is manual entry of a site’s address now required?

As I mentioned, "[1Browser] will open when you tap a URL in 1Password." So you don't generally have to manually type URLs. After all, you have them saved in your Login items in 1Password anyway! And similarly, you can use the 1Password iOS extension in other browsers (and many apps), which allow you to use bookmarks to go to websites, rather than typing in the URL each time. You can then use 1Password to fill a login form there.

I still don’t see how site switching and trying to be logged into two sites (shopping site & Paypal site) is enables with the 1Password browser.

While 1Password isn't designed to be an advanced, full-featured web browser but rather a password manager, it does support opening multiple webpages at once:

You can get there by tapping the square "window" icon to the right of the "key" icon in 1Browser. Unless you explicitly close webpages there, opening additional ones, even using the URL in a login item, will open a new "window", rather than using the same one. That way you can have multiple pages open at once and switch between them. Safari and other dedicated web browsers are much more powerful, but this is useful for quick browsing within 1Password itself.

I think I’ll continue my workaround of copying PayPal login info to “Notes.”

You're welcome to do that, but again, it is more risky as all apps have access to the clipboard, and Notes is not encrypted the way 1Password is.

Not all updates are improvements.

Okay. I think that's probably true as a general statement, but I'm not sure what you're getting at. 1Password still has the same features.

This discussion has been closed.