Deploy 1Password stand-alone Mac client app? Deployment installations failing

Options
wms_brians
wms_brians
Community Member

Howdy, all, I'm hoping someone might have some ideas about what's happening as we try to deploy 1Password to our 1:1 Mac deployment.

First installs go just fine, deploy the stand-alone non-Mac App Store .pkg . Bueno.

The dot revisions seem to fail, though, once 1Password is installed. I'm thinking it may be because the end user .pkg prompts the end user to close 1Password Mini to complete install. Deploying via MDM runs the install process as root, likely prompting an error since we can't close 1Password Mini.

I've tried looking into ways to kill any 1Password processes prior to .pkg install, but I'm not having much luck, there.

Has anyone tried to deploy 1Password for Mac stand-alone app updates via MDM, and/or have any info on best practices with deployment?

Thank you, cheers!

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: 1.5.0
OS Version: 10.13.3, 10.12.6
Sync Type: 1Password for Teams

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018
    Options

@wms_brians: Thanks for reaching out! This isn't something that's supported, and I'm not aware of any workarounds for that...but Apple does support MDM directly through the App Store:

https://www.apple.com/business/vpp/

And since you're using 1Password Teams, users can still use their accounts by signing into the app once deployed. If you still want to use the AgileBits Store version for some reason, you might want to try installing not as root, both for best practices and, since the root account is disabled by default in macOS, it isn't something the installer/updater is meant to work with; that may be at least part of the issue you were having with updates.

Another consideration is you seem to be using 1Password X in the browser. Keep in mind that is a self-contained Chrome extension that works only within the browser, not in conjunction with the Mac app. So you may either want to use only that (which would also simplify deployment for you), or use the desktop extension with 1Password for Mac instead:

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• wms_brians
    wms_brians
    Community Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Thank you so much!

We'd considered the VPP MAS version path, but regrettably, the MacOS side of VPP assignment doesn't quite perform the as well as its iOS counterpart. We've had some reliability issues pushing MAS apps to client Macs.

(Can of worms, a few moving parts not playing nicely. On the other hand, iOS VPP is wonderful, hardly any issues at all.)

I'm playing with a way to potentially deploy via MDM by manually stopping the 1Password Mini process prior to .pkg install. Will let you know, depending on how this goes.

Cheers!

ref: DDU-65259-297

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, I hear you. If it helps, it may get easier in the future as we make some changes to how 1Password mini works. But in the mean time killing all 1Password processes should allow you to install the new version over it. Cheers! :)

• wms_brians
    wms_brians
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much, @brenty!

Through some testing with support help, we were able to determine that the 6.8.6 pkg installer, at least, won't really behave as intended when deploying, no matter how we install.

I attempted to install as root, install as current user, lay down .dmg and call to install .pkg from mounted .dmg. All attempts have resulted in error: “This computer does not meet the OS Requirements for the package 1Password-6.8.6.pkg.” Double-clicking said installer via GUI as end user will succeed. Odd, huh?

We moved away from VPP/Apps and Books for MacOS due to some reliability issues with scoping.

Our solution: AgileBits support crew was kind enough to let me download a .zip with just the .app container for deployment, no scripts or .pkg involved. I ran the script below as a pre-flight/before policy item to kill 1Password Mini, then deployed the .app to it's appropriate spot with proper permissions. I have a one-liner command that runs after install to launch /Applications/1Password.app. That method seems to be working!

Thanks again for your time and help, I hope this can be of some help to anyone out there looking to deploy!

Cheers!

#!/bin/bash

loggedInUser=`python -c 'from SystemConfiguration import SCDynamicStoreCopyConsoleUser; import sys; username = (SCDynamicStoreCopyConsoleUser(None, None, None) or [None])[0]; username = [username,""][username in [u"loginwindow", None, u""]]; sys.stdout.write(username + "\n");'`

sudo -u $loggedInUser launchctl stop 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper || true
    sudo -u $loggedInUser launchctl remove 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper || true
    sudo -u $loggedInUser killall 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper || true

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018
    Options

Thanks for the update, @wms_brians. Glad we were able to find a solution for you! For anyone else reading this who's interested in something like what @wms_brians is doing (or just interested in general), the web interface for the AgileBits Updates Server can be found at:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/

Opening up a particular project (1Password for Mac, 1Password for Windows, etc) by clicking "Full Changelog" will give you the entire history of that project, including the release notes as written at that time, and the downloads to every version of that app including the current version. If you click the download button, you will get the .pkg installer (at least for newer versions since we switched to using the .pkg installer). But if you copy that download link instead of clicking it, paste it into your browser and change the suffix from .pkg to .zip, you will get the zip archive of that version instead of the package installer. So, for example, if you change

https://c.1password.com/dist/1P/mac4/1Password-6.8.6.pkg

to

https://c.1password.com/dist/1P/mac4/1Password-6.8.6.zip

...you'll get 1Password for Mac 6.8.6 zip archive.

• wms_brians
    wms_brians
    Community Member
    Options

@lars, this is really great! Thank you very much for offering lots of options for installs/deployments, you guys are the best!

We're using Jamf Pro here, in case anyone might have questions.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wms_brians You're quite welcome! Glad we were able to help, and definitely keep us updated on how this progresses. :)

This discussion has been closed.