First click in browser extension not registering

Happy New Year everyone! Sorry to start the new year with an issue report, but this has been bugging me for quite some time and I don't know how to fix it: Whenever I click on a login item in the 1Password browser extension for filling in the credentials for a web site, nothing happens. Well, the item details window pops up, but I guess this is because of the mouse pointer hovering long enough above the item. Only a second mouse click will trigger the action. I am not sure when exactly this started happening, it must be a couple of weeks ago. It happens in Safari and Chrome. I deleted and re-installed the extension to no avail. Since the last macOS update to 10.13.2 I find my computer to be slow and unresponsive at times. Maybe the 1PW issue is related to that (a timing issue that only shows on slow machines or something... just guessing). Thanks for any help!

1Password Version: 6.8.4 (684001)
Extension Version: 4.6.12 (Safari), 4.7.0.1 (Chrome)
OS Version: macOS 10.13.2
Sync Type: WiFi

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@RalphBln: Do you by any chance have the built in browser autofill enabled? I know that can cause symptoms similar to what you're describing. But I may be misunderstanding your description. Would you be able to make a video of this? It definitely sounds troubling that you've been having other issues since updating macOS though, as I haven't heard of anything like that before. Let me know what you find!

• RalphBln
    RalphBln
    Community Member

Hi Brenty, sorry for getting back to you this late. I had two out of the four autofill options enabled, but after disabling them the issue persists. I recorded a video of it. What would be the best way to send it to you? Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@RalphBin - If you have a Dropbox account, you can post it there and link to it here. Or even YouTube. I'm not sure what our file-upload size is, but if your video is longer than a few seconds it may be difficult to get it to load directly here. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@RalphBln: A YouTube link is best, as that will display the video inline in your post — and not take up precious space in your Dropbox account. Cheers! :)

• RalphBln
    RalphBln
    Community Member

Hi Lars and Brent, thanks for the replies.

I'd never thought it would come to this - but I uploaded my very first youtube video today thanks to you :) :

https://youtu.be/h3RGJOS2mtk

As you can see, the first click on the login item is always ignored, only the second click after 1-2 seconds is recognized.

Btw. I got rid of the problem with my Mac being slow that I mentioned in my initial post, so that was not the cause of it.

I also have to add that the problem occurs sporadically. I cannot always reproduce it. Once it's there it sticks for a while. When it's gone it will stay gone for a while.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@RalphBln: Thanks! And I'm glad that YouTube makes that pretty easy nowadays — at least with a fast connection. :lol:

Indeed, I've only ever seen something like that with Chrome, so I'm not sure why this is only happening to you in Safari. One thought is that something is intercepting the first click, or it's a timing issue from the flyout menu coming up. Some questions:

1. Does navigating using the keyboard work as expected (arrow keys and Return)? I suspect it does.
    2. If you use 1Password mini outside of Safari, does the behaviour change (menu bar icon or ⌘ ⌥ \ to bring it up)? That should tell us if it's limited to just the browser.
    3. Are you using any accessibility settings that could impact this?
    4. When you say it happens sometimes and sticks around, what there apps are you using at that time? I've had some vaguely similar issues with certain apps conflicting with each other. DragonDrop isn't around anymore, but I loved that even though it sometimes made the mouse unusable after a while.

Thanks!

• RalphBln
    RalphBln
    Community Member

@Brent, your hint with a potentially conflicting app was gold. I had already checked that before but I forgot those apps that do not have a login autostart item in the user preferences but start up using launch daemons.

And presto: The culprit seems to be Unclutter, which I had installed at one point in time and then forgotten about. Once I quit Unclutter everything works fine and when I restart it, I can more or less reliably reproduce the unexpected behavior of 1PW. What makes me even more certain is that Unclutter also turns out to be the source of a related problem that I had with the 3d printing slicer software Cura. Cura also only used to register every second mouse click, but it's overall slow and sluggish, so I thought that was the cause. Quitting Unclutter also resolves the Cura problem. Unclutter indeed needs to listen to and process mouse events in some way since its main UI component is a panel that slides out from the top of the screen upon a certain mouse gesture.

I will contact the Unclutter developers and report the problem to them.

Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@RalphBln: Huh. I'd never actually heard of that before, but it looks pretty cool...and reminds me a lot of DragonDrop and other similar utilities. I think you're spot-on: I bet they're doing some kind of mouse hook for the gesture that's causing this. Maybe there's a way to disable gestures and rely on another method to bring it up...

This discussion has been closed.