Incomplete Chinese language support on Mac and iOS app

Options
yor
yor
Community Member
edited February 2018 in Mac

I recently created a family account for my parents and I noticed that Chinese language support is not perfect on Mac app and iOS app (but seems OK on Android).

For example: while everything else is translated, item types (e.g. "Logins", "Secure Notes", "Credit Cards") are not translated and shows up in English on sidebar and new item menu etc.
I uploaded some screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/UV9Wf

This is very inconvenient because my parents can't read English and they can only guess what they mean and overall this is an inconsistent experience for Chinese users so please help fix it, thanks!

1Password Version: 6.8.6
OS Version: OS X 10.13.3

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yor: Sorry for the confusion there. That's not the app. 1Password.com accounts get category names and templates from the server, which is currently not localized. So I'm guessing that you're using a local vault on your Android device. If you were using a 1Password.com vault there, you would also see English category names, etc. It's something we're working on behind the scenes, but as you can imagine, translating the entire service from top to bottom will take some groundwork and time to make sure everything is not only translated but also fit in the UI, not only in the apps, but also in the web interface. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you right now, but we're working on it. :blush:

• yor
    yor
    Community Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

@brenty

On Android device I'm not using a local vault but the same 1password.com family account so the vaults are exactly the same.
    I attached screenshots showing the translated category names and app version here: https://imgur.com/a/EXS3t
    Perhaps there are more things under the hood but given the behavior I thought it's reasonable to assume the problem is on the app side. Or maybe the ongoing localization effort is already done on Android but not the other platforms?

Additionally, the previous screenshot of the Mac app (https://imgur.com/UNNI1g6) shows that the explanation for the "Credit Cards" category is properly translated, it is very odd that category name itself is not.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yor: If that's true, and you have no local vault setup in 1Password for Android, I'm not quite sure what's up there. I can't reproduce what you're seeing on my device. I'd encourage you to go into 1Password for Android Settings > Vaults and double check. Unless you deleted the app, reinstalled it, and set it up with only an account, you'll still have a Primary (local) vault there if you were using one before.

The items themselves, if you created them in a local vault with localized templates, will remain that way even when moving them to a 1Password.com account. We don't want to mangle anyone's data. But currently 1Password.com has no localized UI or templates, so all of this also propagates to the apps. For instance, if I go on 1Password.com and create an item there, everything is in English. And that item will not change even if I move it to a local vault; its data is already saved that way.

Since the server manages all of the data to provide seamless sync, backup, and item history, the apps themselves have no real control over the data structures. When I switch languages on my device, I don't want 1Password trying to "localize" or otherwise change my actual data; it should stay just the way I saved it. So while that's a good thing in most cases, for localization it means we will have to roll all of this out in the service itself on a large scale. We just can't have it both ways.

It's definitely confusing, and apart from the obvious fact that we want 1Password to be useable by people around the world in their preferred languages, that's yet another reason we're working on this project: consistency. I'm sorry the the inconvenience this causes you and your family in the mean time. :(

• yor
    yor
    Community Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

@brenty
    I just checked Settings -> Vaults on the Android device and only the family account vaults are there (the default vault "Private" shows up in English but that's alright). And I don't recall setting up a local vault ever because I first set up accounts for my parents and installed the app then logged in immediately. At this point I would rather not delete and then reinstall the app just to further verify this.

Thanks for the clarification about not changing data once it's created, I think it's a totally reasonable choice.
    But I don't really see how this can explain the inconsistency between iOS+Mac vs Android, because if category names themselves are a part of the vault data and is retrieved from server, it will not be translated on one platform but not the other.
    Taking a step back, treating category names as part of the vault/customer data also feels odd, I would usually expect them to be part of the client and should be relatively easy to localize, especially when the explanation for that category name is already localized.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yor

But I don't really see how this can explain the inconsistency between iOS+Mac vs Android...

To be honest with you, I don't, either. Our translation efforts are sort of split up right now, because of the distinction between what is going on within the apps themselves (and not every part of the apps are the same, from platform to platform), and what is going on with respect to the data served from 1password.com. There's unfortunately nothing we can do for you immediately in terms of translation, but I will certainly try to discover what the status of translating both our apps and 1password.com itself into other languages, specifically Chinese. Thanks for reporting it -- it's exceptionally helpful to get reports from users in the field about localization issues like this.

• yor
    yor
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @brenty @Lars for all the prompt replies and clarifications, it's unfortunate that this issue turns out to be more complicated than I originally expected :tongue:

Despite this annoyance, the app is really great and my parents and myself love it!
    Looking forward to see better localization so that more people will use it too!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@yor - so are we, frankly. Localization is difficult because there are so many languages. Obviously, you focus on the ones from which most of your users come (which in our case would be German, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, a few others). But it's not quite there yet. We look forward to making you happy on that score in the not-too-distant future. Cheers, and thanks for the kind words! :)

This discussion has been closed.