Need confirmation on Password update

Updating Passwords seems very complicated and prone to user error. I would like to see some confirmation information provided by 1Password when a password is updated. The problem is that password update screens often have 3 password fields, and I am never confident that the correct password will get saved - note that my complaint isn't that passwords updates don't get recorded correctly, but rather that i am not confident that they will be and I get no confirmation.

Minimum: a dialog stating that password that starts with abcd has been changed to password that starts with wxyz.

Maximum: Login in 1Password would show a history of passwords, that gets updated each time a password is changed:

History:  Password       Set           Removed
                abcd               1/1/2017   1/30/2017
                efgh               1/30/2017 1/1/2018
                ijkl                 1/1/2018     current

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90 (Google Chrome)
OS Version: 6.2.9200 (Windows 10)
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Request feature

Comments

• Hey @doctormisterh! There's actually a list like your "maximum" suggestion in the item details for your Login items in 1Password 4. Pull up the main app, select your Login, then scroll allllll the way down the bottom of the item details and you'll see password history. Those passwords are masked by default, but can be revealed so you can check that you see the old password down there. Here, you can see the (masked) password history for one of my items:

Check it out and let us know if you have any questions. :chuffed:

• doctormisterh
    doctormisterh
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

Excellent. I will let you know if I have any problem tomorrow. I expect so much from 1Password, that I should have looked harder.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @doctormisterh,

As you're curious I thought I'd explain a bit of the behaviour you can expect. In almost all examples if there are three fields it typically means the current password, to confirm you are you and the new password twice, the second to confirm there are no typos as most sites won't assume a password manager. 1Password will use the fact that one password appears twice as a solid clue. The other thing we do is use what is currently stored in the Login item you're updating as a hint in identifying the new password. So if there are two passwords and one matches the password already stored in the Login item the other must be the new one. That second one helps for times where a site doesn't ask for confirmation.

Between that and the password history I hope your trust in 1Password will increase over time and if you should find any sites where we don't work well please do reach out to us.

This discussion has been closed.