Migration and/or syncing issues

Caseof8
Caseof8
Community Member

I have been using 1Password for many years and loved it. I noticed a few months ago that my iOS device and MacOS device were no longer in sync. I had been using Dropbox to sync and although the file in Dropbox looked to be the same on both devices I have different item counts.

I have been excited to try a Family account to help stop all the "What is the password again?" from everyone in my family. Earlier this week I signed up and migrated the MacOS device database to 1Password Families account. This is were I am at right now.

On MacOS device
Primary database 563 items
Private database 566 items

on iOS device
Primary database 554 items
Private database 566 items

I think the Private database is the correct on both devices. Before I delete the old vaults I want to make sure I do not loose any information.

How do I sync and make sure the Primary database on both the MacOS and iOS device is synced and merged into the Private database?

1Password Version: 6.8.6 & iOS 7.0.5
Extension Version: 4.6.12
OS Version: 10.13.3 & iOS 11.2.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Caseof8 -- and thanks for the kind words about 1Password. We're happy and proud to have been a part of your digital life for so long. :)

I do wish you'd have come to us with the sync issue before opening the 1Password Families account, because it's impossible for me to say what ought to be done, since I don't know what you did in regard to moving the data from your local (Primary) vault(s) into the 1Password Families Private vault. Did you transfer the data from one device's Primary into Private, and then just sign into your account on the other device? Did you try moving items from each device into your account's Private vault? Something else?

In the two Primary vaults with the differing item counts, what is the sync path for each device? If you're not sure where to get that, you can (on the Mac) visit Preferences > Sync and you should see the full file path. Make note of whether the sync file itself is .agilekeychain or .opvault. In 1Password for iOS, you can visit **Settings > Sync > (name of vault) > Sync Service to see the same thing. Check whether the file path for sync is the same. If it isn't, then you'll need to do some forensic sleuthing on your own to see if you can determine when those two datasets diverged. Fortunately, it doesn't appear to have been a long time, if one is 563 and the other is 554. Let us know what you discover.

• Caseof8
    Caseof8
    Community Member

Lars thanks for helping me. I was able to solve the different item count. It looked like both the MacOS and iOS were pointing to Dropbox>1Password>1Password.agilekeychain I turned off syncing to Dropbox on the iOS device and turned it back on and pointing to the 1Password.agilekeychain file. Not sure why this worked but both Primary vaults have the same items.

Now how do I make sure the Primary vault is the same as my Private vault?

Once I made sure the Private vault is the same I can delete the Primary vault. Is the correct?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Caseof8: Yep! Glad to hear that helped, and if you want to migrate your data to your account, just follow this guide on your main device (probably Mac):

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Just be sure not to — and I can't stress this enough — follow the directions exactly and don't move your data to your account more than once — on different devices, for example — or you'll have duplicates. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Caseof8
    Caseof8
    Community Member

Ok, I think I have this figured out, well almost. Two last questions.

1. It looks like I imported twice. I have duplicate entries in my Private database in my online 1Password account. There are 2 of every entry. When I click on one and delete it the database deletes both of them. I still have my Primary vault so I can delete all entries and reimport from the Primary vault. Is that the best way to clean this up?

2. Once I have my Private vault correct how do I delete the Primary vault?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018

Ok, I think I have this figured out, well almost. Two last questions.
    It looks like I imported twice. I have duplicate entries in my Private database in my online 1Password account. There are 2 of every entry. When I click on one and delete it the database deletes both of them. I still have my Primary vault so I can delete all entries and reimport from the Primary vault. Is that the best way to clean this up?

@Caseof8: Are you certain you copied the same data twice to the same vault? Often people think that because they're viewing All Vaults and seeing the contents of both the original and new destination vault.

Once I have my Private vault correct how do I delete the Primary vault?

That's included at the end of the instructions I gave you:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I'd tell you right here, but I don't know which device you're trying to delete the Primary vault on. Let me know and I'll be happy to though! :)

ref: PZH-16266-113

• Tully
    Tully
    1Password Alumni

G'day @Caseof8,

Just following up on @brenty's comments above – I notice you've been in touch with us via our support email address as well, so I've emailed you back just now… let's continue the conversation there to avoid any confusion or doubling-up (this also lets us discuss account specifics if need be). Looking forward to getting things sorted – hope to hear from you soon!

• Caseof8
    Caseof8
    Community Member

I always find it funny. Once I know how to do something I wonder why I could not do it before. Everything is working correctly now. Thank you for your help.

• Tully
    Tully
    1Password Alumni

@Caseof8 Almost like how the missing thing's invariably in the last place you look… :) I'm glad we've been able to help sort things out. Happy 1Passwording!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018

Hey @Tully, you guys know why it seems like everything's always in the last place you look for it?

Because once you find it, you stop looking.

(sends self to bad dad-joke timeout for fifteen minutes) 😜

Glad you're all squared away, @Caseof8!

This discussion has been closed.