Feature Request: Add URL blacklist option to the 1P browser extension

Options
tilzinger
tilzinger
Community Member

I have a web app that does not like the 1P browser extension (specifically Firefox Quantum 59.0b6 (64-bit), but works great in Chrome). It would be swell if I could just add that app's url to a blacklist and 1P does not attempt to do anything within the app. Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.8.6 (686004)
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: OSX 10.13.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @tilzinger,

Would you be willing to share some additional details about this situation with us? What is the web app in question? What sort of a conflict is happening? 1Password generally doesn’t interact with web pages until you invoke it.

Thanks.

Ben

• tilzinger
    tilzinger
    Community Member
    Options

Sure. Its an ExpressionEngine 3 CMS. When I'm logged into the admin pages load slower, and I often see Firefox display a yellow bar asking if it should terminate the script execution or wait. When I disable the 1P extension, it doesn't seem to hang on the JavaScript execution. I don't know what exactly the conflict is.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2018
    Options

Interesting. Thanks. I’ll share that information with the team and see if there are any improvements that we can make on our end to improve this.

Ben

ref: opxi-92

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for posting this.

Recently I’m occasionally getting this yellow bar as well on the Remember The Milk website (in Firefox).

Maybe I should experiment with(out) the 1Password extension...

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

There is a conflict in Firefox between NoScript, 1Password Extension and Duo Prompt resulting in a ClickJacking attempt. There has been no news of whether the conflict has been resolved or now but a blacklist could be useful here I suppose.

I'm on Chrome now so I haven't revisited this issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wkleem: I'm not sure that the original poster is using those.

@XIII: I know we have seen similar issues more in Firefox, perhaps due to its age and relative inefficiency with Javascript. We'll see if there are ways we can make 1Password less resource intensive in the future as well — though we are always going to be limited by extension APIs and the browser itself.

• Georg
    Georg
    Community Member
    Options

I would love to see this as well! For example the pw is stored in safari/icloud for my router and for my NAS and always 1P gets in the way and wants to store the PW. I would just love to have a blacklist, were I put in URLs or/and IP-Adresses. Next level would be a button when 1P asks to save the PW to "never ask again" - that would be awesome… thanks for reading.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Georg: Sorry for the confusion! That's not the topic of this discussion. Both 1Password for Mac and Windows already have that feature:

Or you can manually edit the autosave exclusion list in 1Password Preferences/Settings. Cheers! :)

• Georg
    Georg
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much for clarifying this up. Learned a lot! And sorry for jumping into your threat!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Georg: No worries! That was a clarification mostly because others might think the same thing, and I'd hate for you or anyone else to think that feature is something you'd have to wait for. :chuffed:

• tilzinger
    tilzinger
    Community Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
  • Ben
    Options

Thanks for that, @tilzinger. Just throwing this out there, but... I noticed there is a newer version of Expression Engine available. Any chance you’re able to update and test against the newer version?

Ben

• tilzinger
    tilzinger
    Community Member
    Options

I have not tried it in the newest version, and I can't just upgrade this current environment to the latest version in a matter of minutes to test it. Also, regardless of the version, its still an issue. There is a hidden login modal in the page, so maybe 1P is seeing a hidden username and password field and is trying to do something? Still, having a black list option would be nice.

• Ben
    Options

Understood on all points except this:

Also, regardless of the version, its still an issue.

I’m not sure I follow. Are you saying this issue does definitely persist in the latest version of Expression Engine?

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

we have seen similar issues more in Firefox, perhaps due to its age and relative inefficiency with Javascript.

I’m using Firefox Quantum, which should be quite fast:

https://www.howtogeek.com/332449/whats-new-in-firefox-quantum/

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018
    Options

@XIII: Which version? Definitely been faster in 57 and 58 for me, but Edge, Safari, Chrome still outperform in a number of areas. Even if Firefox is feeling much faster than it did and supports WebExtensions, Javascript performance is going to be a bottleneck for things like 1Password that need it to do some relative heavy lifting. I don't think it's winning any benchmarks yet, but I bet it will as time goes on if they keep it up. :)

For some reason I am now craving some Nuka Cola...

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Firefox 58.0.2

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@XIII: Thanks for letting me know! Just to clarify, are you having trouble with a particular website, or some version of Expression Engine?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Only the one I posted before, so far:

Remember the Milk, https://rememberthemilk.com

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@XIII: I guess I'm confused then. Is it specifically that page? I'm not seeing any issues there on my machines when looking now, but I had actually been testing against their login page:

https://www.rememberthemilk.com/login/

Can you give me steps to reproduce the problem you're encountering there, and the OS, 1Password, and extension versions involved? Maybe you also have other extensions installed that I don't. I run pretty light since I don't want other extensions being able to read the stuff I fill using 1Password.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

It's only happening after logging in and actually using their service (with lots of tasks...).

• Firefox 58.0.2 64-bits,
    • Windows 10 (1709) 64-bits
    • latest 1Password 7 Alpha
    • latest regular 1Password extension

Extensions incude uBlock Origin (ad blocker), Cookie AutoDelete, and DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials.

Sorry; I don't have access to that machine right now, so can't past actual details.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2018
    Options

@XIII: Thanks! It sounds like you're not experiencing this issue on other machines then. Is that correct? If so, it might be something worth creating a new discussion for in the Windows beta category (sorry, I know you're using the alpha ;) ). There may be optimizations we can do there.

But I suspect it's the structure of the site in conjunction with your data. That's one thing I can't test for. If they're using a ton of form fields it will slow down 1Password trying to process them (hint to web developers: don't use web forms for everything). That's very much a cross-platform issue, and browser Javascript performance will be a real bottleneck there. I think the last one I saw like this was a login page with 969 fields. Pretty sure we've seen some with more. Suffice to say performance is not great in these cases. :lol:

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Correct.

BTW: I count 14 form fields (though I'm not sure what counts as such a field)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@XIII: Often (especially in cases where there are an insane amount) they're not visible to the user, just in the code which 1Password must analyze to be able to interact with webpages. You should be able to get a count by first inspecting the page to go to the console, and then enter document.getElementsByTagName("input") there and pressing Enter to get the count. This page, for example (as I type this at least), has 51. That certainly isn't the only factor, but it can be a big one depending on the browser and how the webpage is coded.

This discussion has been closed.