Browser Extensions Repeatedly Breaking...

Options

I don't know if anybody else has experienced this or not
but we've had more problems with 1pw
since coming on to the family subscription than we ever did previously.

In the last month, I have had to reinstall all browser extensions 3-4 times.
I use latest versions of:
Safari (version 4.6.12) said: make sure you have 1pw installed (I do!)
Chrome (version 4.6.12.90)
Opera (version 4.6.12.90)
Each time, they simply stopped working.

Browsers had not been upgraded during the last month.
Suggestions?
Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.8.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @karunapod! Sorry for the trouble -- though I can say with certainty it doesn't matter whether you're using standalone data or a 1password.com account. Can you tell me a bit more about "stopped working?" What were you expecting the 1Password browser extension in those browsers to do that it didn't do? Did anything else on your Mac change around that time?

• karunapod
    karunapod
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars...
    Just clicking on 1p extension icon...that's all!
    Clicked and wouldn't open.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@karunapod - that'll happen if you haven't launched and opened 1Password already. The 1Password extension is actually just a conduit for communication between 1Password and the webpages you want to fill/save. If you click on it without 1Password already running, it won't open 1Password.

• karunapod
    karunapod
    Community Member
    Options

so the extension doesn't run in the background...I have to keep the main app always running???

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@karunapod - The extension is a part of your browser. You do have to have launched the mini at least once since last restart in order for the extension to be able to call it up. Do you have "Always keep 1Password mini running" checked in Preferences > General?

• karunapod
    karunapod
    Community Member
    Options

so the extension doesn't run in the background...I have to keep the main app always running???
    I have "always keep.."checked.
    "You do have to have launched the mini at least once since last restart in order for the extension to be able to call it up."
    So, if I restart...my browser extensions won't work unless I launch mini once...yes?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@karunapod

So, if I restart...my browser extensions won't work unless I launch mini once...yes?

Yes, 1Password has to be running in order to use it, or at least have been run once after restart. 😊

If you can see the 1Password mini running in your Mac's menubar, that should do it.

• karunapod
    karunapod
    Community Member
    Options

ok...I opened 1pw's package contents and put an alias of 1pw mini into login items.
    that should make it so I don't have to do this manually after restarts.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad that helped! It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you have any other questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.