Changed master password and activated print scan on iPhone 7 had to cancel scan and was locked out?

jjc56
jjc56
Community Member

Changed master password on 1Password and activated print scan on my iPhone 7 (1Password 7.0.5 - iOS version 11.2.5) today. Tried the print scan and opened app. Closed and wanted to check new password but the scan print message appears over the password area so had to press cancel to access. Tried to enter new password but message “please try again “ appeared. Retry failed! Shut app reopened and print scan option would not appear? Tried new and old passwords but no luck. Powered down! And repeated, still no luck. Fortunately changes DID NOT migrate to iPad so I still can access most of my passwords but iPhone is my primary device used and want to correct this issue. As stated I’m keyboard challenged so a phone # would be better for me.
Please help
jjc56

1Password Version: 7.0.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 11.2.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Very keyboard challenged. Is there a phone# for me to call for help? Locked out after master change!

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Changed master password on 1Password and activated print scan on my iPhone 7 (1Password 7.0.5 - iOS version 11.2.5) today. Tried the print scan and opened app.

@jjc56: What is this "print scan" you're referring to?

Closed and wanted to check new password but the scan print message appears over the password area so had to press cancel to access. Tried to enter new password but message “please try again “ appeared. Retry failed! Shut app reopened and print scan option would not appear? Tried new and old passwords but no luck. Powered down! And repeated, still no luck. Fortunately changes DID NOT migrate to iPad so I still can access most of my passwords but iPhone is my primary device used and want to correct this issue. As stated I’m keyboard challenged so a phone # would be better for me. Please help

We don't have a call center, and frankly it will be much easier for you to send diagnostic information or receive detailed instructions here or via email anyway. There isn't anything we can do about your Master Password though. Only you ever know it.

However, it sounds like you may be having trouble with that because you didn't actually unlock 1Password to sync the changes. Have you tried unlocking with the "old" Master Password? That could allow 1Password to sync the data, so that the new one will work going forward. I'm not certain that will work because your description is unclear, but it's worth a try.

Otherwise, you'll need to remember and enter the correct Master Password. (Un)fortunately AgileBits has neither your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly.

And if you do have all of your 1Password data on the iPad or another device, you could always start over on your iPhone 7 and then sync your data from the iPad when you set it up again.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions! :)

• jjc56
    jjc56
    Community Member

Hi Brenty and thanks for replying.
    The print scan referenced is the fingerprint recognition on my iPhone! The app gives the option of activating face or print recognition which I activated (print). If this message did not appear over the area where the master password is entered I would not be having this conversation! I think that should be reviewed and changed. When cancelled the button should still appear as an option to use! The print worked several times but needed to check the “new” password and had to use the only option available (which was to cancel) to remove the message in order to access the password input!
    After verifying the new password, was there anything else I needed to do? The checking out of the new password happened about 1 - 2 minutes after writing the new hint so I’m sure of what password I changed it to.
    I’m very frustrated and disappointed. I had lost all my info before using another similar app which is why the change to 1Password and up to this point, worked flawlessly. Please please if there is any way someone can help me I’m open to suggestions.
    As I wrote, my iPad did not sync and 1Password is still accessible by old password but for obvious reasons I’m reluctant to try anything involving that device. It has about 90% of my passwords but unsure of what was added to iPhone.
    Thanks again,
    jjc56

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jjc56 I'm really sorry to hear you're having troubles entering your Master Password, but I'm not certain what 1Password should've done differently to prevent that. To replicate what happened to you, a user would have to take the same exact steps:

1. Change Master Password
    2. Activate Touch ID
    3. Forget new Master Password (or perhaps there was a typo when you changed it so it's not being recognized now).
    4. Cancel Touch ID so that Master Password is required

In all portions of this example, 1Password behaves the way I think it ought to behave: if you explicitly cancel Touch ID, you're asked for your Master Password. This is a safety and security featured so if a user is in a situation where they do not want to be forced to provide their fingerprint, they can quickly set 1Password so it can only be opened via Master Password (which is more legally difficult to compel in many jurisdictions).

We also don't (can't) control where and how the Touch ID prompt pops up on your screen; that's a part of iOS, not a function of 1Password for iOS: when you activate Touch ID within 1Password and you use it, we call the system process for Touch ID authentication and iOS takes care of the rest.

Do you have 1Password working on any desktop devices (Mac or Windows PC)?

• jjc56
    jjc56
    Community Member

Yes on my iPad but is missing some of my stored passwords!
    The problem with the Touch ID is that the prompt message appears over the password block to type master in. If I could have accessed the password area and found it not operating, I could’ve opened it with Touch ID and corrected or checked the master password!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jjc56 I understand what you're saying; I'm not sure what 1Password could/should have done differently. Do you have a suggestion, knowing that engaging Touch ID means you're calling a process that 1Password has no control over - either in function or design? Touch ID is designed by Apple to do exactly what you've described: overlay everything else, and make you authenticate via your fingerprint. Whatever app is beneath the Touch ID prompt will not be available until you successfully authenticate via your fingerprint, or you dismiss it.

Yes on my iPad but is missing some of my stored passwords!

If that's the case, it sounds as if you may not have had your devices in sync at the time you changed the Master Password on your iPhone 7. At this point, to get a better idea of what might be going on, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#GZH-97625-495]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @jjc56 only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: GZH-97625-495

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jjc56: And, perhaps more importantly, backup your data. That way you can restore it at a later time even if your device is lost, stolen, or destroyed — or you just reset it for some reason, perhaps during repair. Then, provided you know the correct Master Password to decrypt it, you don't have to worry about losing everything again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jjc56 - We've received your diagnostics report emails; let's keep the conversation going via email, for your privacy. 😊

This discussion has been closed.