Have 1Password on Mac/Browser extension; can't make it work on iOS

klarue
klarue
Community Member

Hi folks - I'm sure this is a totally rookie question, but I simply can't get 1Password to work on my iPhone X. I've been using it on the Mac for years - since probably version 3 - and assumed that I'd be able to download the app for iOS, log in w/ my Master Password and be up and running. Instead, 1Password7 asks me if I'm using 1Password on .com, iCloud, Dropbox or WLAN Server. Answer: none of the above.

So... do I have to purchase a separate subscription to use on iOS, then somehow link the two accounts to sync between them?

Also, I have no idea what a Secret Key is (I don't recall creating one) nor when I go to 1Password Preferences > Accounts do I have an "Account".

I know... a mess. ;) Any insights? Obviously über-useful and I'd like it on the phone too. Thanks! Kevin

1Password Version: 6.8.7 (687006)
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@klarue: Thanks for getting in touch! Happy to help. :)

Hi folks - I'm sure this is a totally rookie question, but I simply can't get 1Password to work on my iPhone X. I've been using it on the Mac for years - since probably version 3 - and assumed that I'd be able to download the app for iOS, log in w/ my Master Password and be up and running. Instead, 1Password7 asks me if I'm using 1Password on .com, iCloud, Dropbox or WLAN Server. Answer: none of the above.

If you don't have your existing 1Password data anywhere else or syncing, you'll need to create a new vault.

So... do I have to purchase a separate subscription to use on iOS, then somehow link the two accounts to sync between them?

If you have a 1Password.com membership, that includes all the apps, so you can use it across all of your devices — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits.

Also, I have no idea what a Secret Key is (I don't recall creating one) nor when I go to 1Password Preferences > Accounts do I have an "Account".

Yep! You'll only have an account and Secret Key if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership.

I know... a mess. ;) Any insights? Obviously über-useful and I'd like it on the phone too. Thanks! Kevin

Hmm. No worries! We'll help you get things sorted, but I have one crucial question: where is your 1Password data currently? It sounds like you must have some if you've been using it for a while. Thanks in advance! :)

• klarue
    klarue
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. I assumed that my 1P data would be stored on my local machine, where the app or the mini extension can access it.

That said, if I create a new vault, do I need a 1P membership in order to sync? I never purchased a membership in the past, only the Mac app directly from agilebits.

Thanks, Kevin

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@klarue: I think I misread your previous comments. Sorry about that! If I'm understanding you correctly now, it sounds like you are currently using 1Password on your Mac. Is that right? If so, and you have all of your data there, we have a number of sync options available:

Sync your 1Password data

It is not required to sync, but I definitely recommend a 1Password.com membership since it's so seamless. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• simonjean
    simonjean
    Community Member

My data is on my iPhone with my old 1Password Pro account, but my data does not show up at all on my Mac on which I just installed the new 1Password7 with an annual membership. They look like 2 different accounts. How can I merge my iPhone and Mac and be sure not to accidentally delete all of my 900 + Passwords that are accessible on my iPhone? I am very concerned.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@simonjean: If you've already moved your data to your 1Password.com account, follow these instructions to sign into your account on your other devices and remove the old local vault:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.