{FYI] Bitten By Bitdefender Firewall

AlwaysSortaCurious
AlwaysSortaCurious
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

With some of the posts recently about bitdefender, thought I should mention that I kept on getting 1password has stopped message (guys, might be useful if you were more specific, as what it really means is 1Password can't connect to the web or perhaps 1Password Chrome can't connect?)

Anyway, errors like unknown publisher for chrome in 1Password under connected browsers section, Refusing helper connection from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe"in disgnostic report, because of untrusted certificate. errors, unable to get manifest update, etc.

Somehow, and I don't mess with the settings, Bitdefender had set 1Password under application settings to blocked. I thought it was initially the SSL scanning, but it was the application firewall. No traffic allowed,

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited February 2018

Hi @AlwaysSortaCurious,

Thanks for bringing that up, it does help a lot to know that, so we can try to reproduce it and get in touch with Bitdefender again. If they can't fix it, we can write a support article to explain what to check if someone has it running.

(guys, might be useful if you were more specific, as what it really means is 1Password can't connect to the web or perhaps 1Password Chrome can't connect?)

1Password has stopped working is a generic Windows message for any unexpected errors. If some parts of Firefox crashed, you'd get Firefox has stopped working. We can't give you more contextual information because an unexpected error can occur from anywhere.

The error you've saw, we've seen it several times in the past and almost not a single one was related to another error like that. For an example, you'd get the exact same error if 1Password tries to connect while Firefox/Chrome is updating itself in the background and/or Windows did something in the background to crash the internal Native Messaging process. We had two or three cases last week where this same error message came up because 1Password's data folder was set to be hidden for no reasons. :angry:

If there was a way to be helpful, we'd absolutely do it but without actually getting a diagnostics report to understand what was happening at the time, it is almost next to impossible.

Somehow, and I don't mess with the settings, Bitdefender had set 1Password under application settings to blocked. I thought it was initially the SSL scanning, but it was the application firewall. No traffic allowed,

Unfortunately, anti-malware solutions is the single-most troublemaker for 1Password. When it comes to helping our customers, we spend maybe around 60-70% of our time dealing with them than we do other type of issues.

• kcfield
    kcfield
    Community Member

I have run Bitdefender free for several years with no problems. However, after its recent update, it is blocking many legitimate websites (even selections within secure and trusted websites such as investment websites). I had never encountered such false positives with Bitdefender before.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kcfield: That's really odd. I'd encourage you to report those issues to them so they can be addressed. You're probably not the only one affected after all.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I thought it was initially the SSL scanning

@AlwaysSortaCurious: I'd suggest not using that, as it breaks web security, allowing them to decrypt your secure traffic which should be end-to-end encrypted between only you and the site you're communicating with. Just something to consider.

This discussion has been closed.