How do I purchase 1Password as a gift for someone else?

Options
pianosdr
pianosdr
Community Member

I want to purchase 1Password for iOS / Apple Watch as a gift for my wife, but I do not see any option anywhere to do this. Is this possible?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:How can I gift 1password to another

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @pianosdr,

Unfortunately at present the App Store doesn't offer any way to gift a specific app. The only way to do this would be to give a gift card with enough money to make the purchase.

Sorry there isn't presently a better answer at the moment. Hopefully in the future Apple will consider adding a proper app gifting feature.

Ben

• pianosdr
    pianosdr
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Thanks for the response, bwoodruff, although that's a pretty disappointing answer. If that's true, I'm stunned that Apple doesn't already have that functionality available in the App Store. Gifting seems like a pretty basic and easily anticipated desire of users. I received a gift card from my employer that I applied to my account before I even met my wife. The fact that I would need to just buy a gift card for her in order to get her this app (or, really, just buy the app itself in that case) when I already have $100 unused in my own account is more than a little silly.

• Ben
    Options

I don't disagree, @pianosdr, but unfortunately that is the current state of things. If you'd like to suggest to Apple that they add this functionality to the store you can do so here:

Apple - iTunes - Make Request for the iTunes Store

Ben

• pianosdr
    pianosdr
    Community Member
    Options

For others' reference, I just logged into my account on her phone and bought the app. I assume I'll have to reenter my password each time she needs/wants to update the app, but that's better than needlessly buying another gift card I guess...

• Ben
    Options

Yes, that would add the purchase to your account, not hers. I hope it works out for you, but we would not recommend that as a solution to other customers looking to achieve the same thing.

Ben

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I have some good news to report. I know it’s a bit later, but my mom always says, “Better late than never.” :)

Helping to keep your friends and family secure online is a wonderful gift, and I am quite excited to say that 1Password Gift Cards are now available, including a $125 Gift Card on sale for just $99! These are great for both family and individual accounts.

You can purchase a 1Password.com Gift Card here. You can redeem your Gift Cards on your account's billing page, or if you are giving them as a gift, they can sign-up and redeem their gift card when creating their account.

This discussion has been closed.