1PX on Canary - Cannot login

I realize this is more of a bug report than a support item. If this should go elsewhere, let me know!

1PasswordX works fantastic for me in the official build of Chrome - Version 64.0.3282.186 (Official Build) (64-bit).

I have to use a Canary build of Chrome for work - Version 66.0.3353.0 (Official Build) canary (64-bit). When I attempt to use 1PX on that Canary build, a couple of things happen:

1. When I click the icon, it takes 4-6 seconds for the window to open.

2. When the window opens, all looks well. Then I attempt to enter my master password. At the entry of any character, it begins repeating that character ad infinitum until I click out of the 1P window to close it. I am unable to sign in.

Is this a known issue?

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.8.7 (687006) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 1PasswordX 1.5.0
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• CPDRP
    CPDRP
    Community Member

**Disregard Issue #1 **- appears that this is true of ALL extensions/apps in Canary.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@CPDRP -- Hmmm, sounds like something either with Canary itself, or between your specific setup and this new build of Canary. I don't run Canary myself, but if it's happening with all extensions then it doesn't sound like we're going to be the best place to start your troubleshooting. Let us know what you discover, however! :)

• MikeJChap
    MikeJChap
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

• MikeJChap
    MikeJChap
    Community Member

I'm kind of hoping CPDRP will post a response. I have the same issue, also have Chrome Canary installed. 1Password worked fine for many years, but as my small company is growing we finally decided to go for the monthly subscription with a team account. For me, the exact same thing happens (the short pause and then the scary issue that characters are being displayed in the password field, and they don't seem to end, automatically it just keeps on entering characters) and it only happens with 1Password X on Canary. Please advise AgileBits.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MikeJChap: Yeah this is an odd one. This is a big reason why we always recommend officially supported stable browser releases. I'm running Chromium and not seeing any issues like that. We'll see if there's anything we need to do on our end, but it seems like an issue with Canary. Thanks for letting us know!

• Thanks for the report, @MikeJChap. I was able to recreate the issue you and @CPDRP are experiencing. I'm using Canary 66.0.3356.0 on macOS 10.13.2.

For me the popup takes about 5 seconds to open, animating a few pixels at a time. And my Master Password screen looks perfectly fine until I start typing my password. Then it filled with bullets and caused Canary to pinwheel and never return. Here's some screen grabs for others who may be experiencing this issue:

The animation issue is a pain to be sure, but I'm actually hopeful to see this as I hope it means the Chrome team is working on fixing a long standing animation problem that has plagued extension developers on Mac for a long time. I don't think there's much we can do about that as I needed to fiddle with things for quite a while to make the animation work well on the official version of Chrome. So I'm not confident that I can make changes without breaking the animation there.

As for the unlock window, it appears as if we are in an infinite loop and keep appending a character to the end of the password field. From what I can tell this is not the case. I checked the console and there are no logs coming from 1Password X (in development we log quite a bit during the rendering phase) and pausing execution in the debugger never stopped within any of our code. This appears to be a Canary bug that we have no control over.

Thankfully there is a work around for unlocking 1Password. Instead of launching the popup, open 1Password.com in a new browser tab and log in from there. This worked fine for me as it seems the broken password fields are related to popups and not standard tabs. Chrome doesn't use standard OS password fields and instead draws their own so I'm guessing they just have a temporary bug there.

I'm pressed for time at the moment and haven't opened either of these bugs for the Chrome team or searched for existing ones. Does anyone know if there's a bug open already for all of us to upvote?

• CPDRP
    CPDRP
    Community Member

I agree that it has to be a Canary issue - I am noticing the same behavior in other extensions in Canary. All behave properly in stable Chrome build on the same device. It's a strange one!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for confirming. Having it affect everyone means not only that Google is more likely to fix it, but also that it's probably due to something they know they've done in the first place while trying to address some other issues. It can be confusing sometimes keeping all of the various releases straight, but this highlights why it's a good thing that there are these levels of development in place for something we all rely on so heavily: the web browser. :)

• CPDRP
    CPDRP
    Community Member

@dteare - Thanks for the detailed response (above) and work-around tip. It is appreciated back-story, far more than I would have expected for a non-supported platform! I hope I did not come across as looking for a fix - I was only trying to make sure you had a heads-up. Have a great day! :)

• You're very welcome, @CPDRP! And no worries whatsoever, I'm very happy you took the time to report this issue and give us a heads-up.

🧡

• MikeJChap
    MikeJChap
    Community Member

I'd like to extend my compliments to Agile as well for investigating this issue a bit further. I contacted the Chrome Team and I'm still awaiting their response. However today I installed an update for Google Chrome to version 67.0.3361.0 (Official Build) canary (64-bit) and up until now, I haven't experienced the issue. I just restarted my MacBookPro and tried a few login screens. So far, so good.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

Thank you so much for letting us know @MikeJChap! I just updated after reading your post, and I see the same thing on my end. 🤘

I tend to use Chrome's beta channel as my daily browser, but I'll be sure to watch the canary channel a little more in the future. I fell out of that habit when they recently upgraded their preferences, and it wasn't easy to switch back and forth between versions.

Thanks again for working out this issue with us and please do let us know if you run into anything more while "living on the edge." 😄

-Beyer

This discussion has been closed.