Right-click to share sends previously selected item

trifinity
trifinity
Community Member
edited February 2018 in Mac

I am experiencing the same issue as listed in the conversation https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/30644/right-click-to-share-sends-unexpected-item.

Example of issue:

Say you have two items. If you have #1 selected, then you right-click #2 and select share, it will actually share #1. The only way to share #1 is by first selecting it with a standard click, then you can right-click it and share. The right-click menu seems to only share what was previously selected, as opposed to the entry that is being right-clicked.

Hopefully the point comes across, I have a video of the issue if needed, but it doesn't seem like I can upload it to the forum post.

Thanks all!

1Password Version: 6.8.6 (686003)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@trifinity: Thanks for getting in touch! I see what you mean: because the other item was actually selected, it's getting shared when you right-click. We'll see if we can make that clearer, and in the mean time, if you click to select an item first, selecting Share will work as expected. Thank you! :)

ref: OPM-5825

• trifinity
    trifinity
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty. I have adjusted the way I’m sharing so all is good. There were just a few awkward moments when I sent the wrong item to a colleague that should have been kept private 😕. If the app registered a right-click as a selection first that could work, but I’m not a dev at all so I’ll trust you guys to look into options for this.

Thanks again!

• Nice find. Thanks for reporting that, @trifinity.

Without even looking at the code, I have a pretty good idea of what could cause this. On the Mac, tables/list have a concept of "selected row", and that's typically what we use to decide what row to action upon. However, in a case like this, that's wrong. The first row is still the "selected" row. The table has another concept, called "clicked row", and when deciding what to action upon for something like a context menu... that's what you need to use and not the "selected row".

Rick

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@trifinity: Sure thing! I should also mention though that even if you're sharing the thing you mean to, if you're doing so over an insecure channel (email, SMS, etc.) that's still going to be risky.

• trifinity
    trifinity
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

@brenty I get you, I make sure to share anything sensitive only over airdrop, my second go-to would be iMessage, but only after I disable the option to send as SMS if iMessage fails 😉.

@rickfillion thanks for looking into it, you guys&gals are always fantastic with your users!

• Thanks for the kind words, trifinity. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brenty I get you, I make sure to share anything sensitive only over airdrop, my second go-to would be iMessage, but only after I disable the option to send as SMS if iMessage fails 😉.

:love: :+1:

Mostly including that message here for anyone else who might read this discussion. Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.