Browser extensions stopped working

srohde
srohde
Community Member

The 1Passwords browser extensions for Safari and Chrome have stopped working for me recently. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but they still don't work. Furthermore, 1Password Mini continues to display "Add chrome extension..." at the top menu position even though the Chrome extension is installed. Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: 10.13.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:browser extensions don't work

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@srohde: Please check for updates in Chrome and restart your Mac. It also sounds like something may be preventing 1Password from connecting securely to browsers on your machine (which a pending update in Chrome can also cause). Do you have "security" software or 3rd party extensions which may be interfering? Thanks in advance!

• srohde
    srohde
    Community Member

64.0.3282.186 is the most current version of Chrome.

I have no “security” software.

Can you help me troubleshoot your “3rd Party Extension” theory please ? For starters, how do I determine if any such extensions are installed?

• srohde
    srohde
    Community Member

Are you referring to browser extensions or macOS extensions?

• bpmd
    bpmd
    Community Member

I'm having similar problems recently, more and more frequently (as in virtually every time 1Password updates, and sometimes just at random). The only other extensions I have installed are Safari content blockers, and uBlock Origin in Chrome and Firefox.

The issue can usually be resolved by a combination of uninstalling the extensions, restarting the browser, quitting 1Password, reinstalling the extensions, then opening 1Password again, but it's frustrating. This issue, along with 1Password failing to install the extension on a fresh Chrome install (every time), has had me looking into alternative software each time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

64.0.3282.186 is the most current version of Chrome.

@srohde: It is as far as I know, but that doesn't mean it is, or that Chrome knows it is. So I was hoping to hear that you'd checked to verify that Chrome itself says it's up to date, in case it's been download but is pending a restart, since that will prevent 1Password from being able to connect to it.

I have no “security” software.

Thanks!

Can you help me troubleshoot your “3rd Party Extension” theory please ? For starters, how do I determine if any such extensions are installed?

You can find them in chrome://extensions/

Are you referring to browser extensions or macOS extensions?

Sorry for not being clearer! Browser extensions. I don't believe it's possible for (heavily sandboxed) macOS extensions to affect 1Password's connection to the browser, but it's a great question! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm having similar problems recently, more and more frequently (as in virtually every time 1Password updates, and sometimes just at random). The only other extensions I have installed are Safari content blockers, and uBlock Origin in Chrome and Firefox.

@bpmd: Thanks for getting in touch! Can you tell me what updates you're referring to in particular? We don't have them terribly often, but since there are a few different moving parts involved (OS, 1Password, browser, extension) I suppose it could be any one of those.

The issue can usually be resolved by a combination of uninstalling the extensions, restarting the browser, quitting 1Password, reinstalling the extensions, then opening 1Password again, but it's frustrating.

I'm glad you decided to reach out then. Are you having a problem now? If so, can you go into more detail about the problem so we can try to narrow down the cause?

This issue, along with 1Password failing to install the extension on a fresh Chrome install (every time), has had me looking into alternative software each time.

I'm sorry to hear that, but to be clear, 1Password doesn't have any control over Chrome's extension installation process. Certainly though while we'd prefer not to see you go, if you decide not to use 1Password for any reason, we'd rather you use a competitor's product than nothing at all. :blush:

• srohde
    srohde
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

@brenty: yes, Chrome knows that it is up to date.

• srohde
    srohde
    Community Member

@brenty, I just noticed that the 1Password extension is now working, both in Chrome and Safari (1Password Mini asked me to perform some sort of confusing of 6 digit verification step when I tried to use the Safari extension, but it least it works now).

I made no changes to my computer (no browser or OS restarts) since my original post so I have no idea why the 1Password browser extensions didn't work for days but now mysteriously (and thankfully) work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@srohde: Thanks! Did you restart your Mac? How about other extensions in Chrome? :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I just noticed that the 1Password extension is now working, both in Chrome and Safari

@srohde: Ah, thanks! I just noticed you had replied while I was replying. That's great to hear!

(1Password Mini asked me to perform some sort of confusing of 6 digit verification step when I tried to use the Safari extension, but it least it works now).

Yep! That's required for 1Password to connect to Safari.

I made no changes to my computer (no browser or OS restarts) since my original post so I have no idea why the 1Password browser extensions didn't work for days but now mysteriously (and thankfully) work.

I can definitely tell you that authorizing the connection with Safari is what made it work in Safari, but not sure about Chrome. We may never know what the holdup was there.

This discussion has been closed.