Will 1password 7 Windows support 1pif export?

Options

If not this will be a showstopper. The CSV export is a drama to import from other programs. The password fi is not in a particular column but can be everywhere... :-( While I am not planning to switch when I choose for this product (I use the standalone version for over 5 years now) I think it is very important that it is possible to be able to.

1Password Version: 6-7 Windows
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1pif windows

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The CSV export is a drama to import from other programs.

@Krit60: We know, as we have plenty of experience dealing with other apps' export. :(

I don't know that version 7.0 will have 1PIF export, but we will absolutely be adding that to the new Windows app.

While I am not planning to switch when I choose for this product (I use the standalone version for over 5 years now) I think it is very important that it is possible to be able to.

You're right, and we agree with you 100%. We have a number of initiatives in this spirit, and better export is just one of them. No one should even feel like they're locked into using 1Password. I really appreciate your honest feedback about this, and pushing us to do better in an area where we really need to improve — not just on Windows, but in other places as well. :blush:

• nathanh0
    nathanh0
    Community Member
    Options

Any idea when this will be added to 7+ ? You mentioned a year ago you would absolutely be adding it to the new Windows app. Do I need to download from a special place?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nathanh0: Export to .1PIF is not in 1Password 7 for Windows yet. It is in our plans, but since we are building 1Password 7 from the ground up, we have a lot of catching up to do first. I do not have any ETA for you at this point and I hope for your understanding.

If you have any other questions, feel free to raise them. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• nathanh0
    nathanh0
    Community Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

@Greg All you have to say is you don't intend on making 1PIF exportable formats and you think someone should make a third party tool in order to accomplish this goal (too difficult for agilebits to do, so much work)

I'm sure the paying customers are happy that you've taken their data hostage.

• If that were true, @nathanh0, we'd certainly say it, but it isn't. We have every intention of adding 1PIF support, but we also have a lot of other issues we need to address. Some bugs, some new features, and yes, some old features that haven't quite made it to the new version of 1Password for Windows yet. I know that each of our customers have different priorities as to what y'all want to see next and that means any decision we make about prioritization is going to make some folks unhappy, but we need to strike a balance where each update helps as many of our customers as possible and the fact that something isn't introduced to 1Password 7 quickly doesn't mean it will never happen. I know this doesn't ease the frustration for folks who have to wait longer for the features important to them and I understand that can be disheartening, but we will get there. Until then, both text and CSV export are available in 1Password 7 and if you absolutely need 1PIF, 1Password 4 can export 1PIF and there is a path to get your data into 1Password 4 from 1Password 7 for everyone. We'd be happy to help y'all do that if and when you need it.

• nathanh0
    nathanh0
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate I'm pretty sure if you had any intention on making it easier for users to come and go between password managers that are better for them, you would have done it since 2016. I think 3+years without 1pif support is a bit harsh. Maybe you can fact check me on my 2016 date, but when did you remove 1pif support?

• I'll have to beg your forgiveness on the semantics here, @nathanh0, because I do feel a bit icky saying it, but I believe it's relevant here – we didn't remove 1PIF export at all. As Greg mentioned earlier, 1Password 6 (released in October 2016) was a complete rebuild of 1Password for Windows. It started from scratch and, indeed, did not include 1PIF export. It also didn't include quite a bit more. We had a short timeline and needed something for folks using 1Password for Teams (at the time) to use on Windows and that meant leaving some things for later. It was a calculated risk at the time – releasing something we knew would need a lot of work to bring back features moving forward – but it was a risk we decided to take. Might we make a different decision knowing what it was going to take to do that now? Maybe, but what's done is done and the best thing to do now is keep looking and moving forward.

Getting all of those missing features into 1Password 6/7 has been a lengthy process and we're certainly not done just yet. We not only needed to build those features from scratch, but also keep up with the new features being added on other platforms where a rebuild wasn't needed. It has been and will be a lot of work and making good decisions about what to address first has been and will continue to be a difficult task. We've been adding those at a steady clip – Watchtower came in April of 2017, standalone vaults came along with 1Password 7, and unlock on Secure Desktop just arrived in the last update – but we're well aware that hasn't always happened as quickly as folks would like and in the order they'd like. 1PIF is important. So is improving performance on first fill, adding customizable backup locations for standalone vaults, improving consistency across platforms, and allowing more flexibility for folks who want to install 1Password using different third party tools.

We do our best to track which of these (and other issues and feature requests) are most important to our customers and to make decisions on what to work on next based upon demand (among other factors), but we can only do so much in each update. As someone who helps y'all with 1Password every day, I (and my teammates) view being an advocate for y'all internally as one of the most important (if not the most important) parts of the job. I don't (and can't) make many promises, but one thing I can promise you is that we are listening, will keep doing so, and if we ever do decide we're flat out not going to do something, we will tell you. I've been told no myself and I have no problem telling y'all no when that's the case. I actually do understand your frustration. I share your passion about easing export (and import for that matter) and have been arguing in favor of 1PIF and other improvements for a long while. That said, I also trust the folks who make prioritization decisions to make good ones for good reasons so long as I do my job and keep them informed about what y'all are asking for. I know that's easier for me than it is for you, but I've learned there's little I can do to change that. In this case, I have to ask you to trust us. And, in the meantime, I'm happy to do what I can as one of the people responsible for helping you with 1Password, to make exporting as easy as it can be with the tools we have available today.

• nathanh0
    nathanh0
    Community Member
    Options

TL;DR

Keeping my personal information in an unusable format will only make users remember how big of a mistake it was putting them here to begin. Either fix the problem or tell people you don't plan to. It's obvious, you're locking your users in and making sure they can't take their own accumulated data to another password service. You can punish your paying customers all you want, you know there's a problem that needs to be fixed, 3 years is enough time to fix it. Your software is smart enough to know the fields, I just don't think the team members are smart enough to know the impacts.

I really hope you don't fix it, because it will come down on your company eventually.

• nathanh0
    nathanh0
    Community Member
    Options

You're welcome.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@nathanh0

If you are not going to bother reading someone's thoughtful and thorough reply, why bother posting?

It's a simple issue - the 1Password for Windows team undertook a task which ended up being a much larger job than expected, due to the complete code rewrite, and tracking all the new features being added to 1Password for Mac. It's been a moving target for them. Did they prioritize user features over 1PIF export - yes. Is that a major problem? No, because you have two other options to export your data.

• nathanh0
    nathanh0
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC I'm not sure if you're aware of the problem, but with 1500 logins, I have 300 columns specifying a password in the exports. Luckily a lot of sites use "password" for their fields, so I get those conveniently in the same column, but the rest of them are scattered. I already get it, if I want a password manager, I will have to go to another service and re-login because that's what I deserve for being so disloyal to your company, shame on me.

• nathanh0
    nathanh0
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC Next time before you barge in to save the day, get a context clue as to which side you're on. I just want my data in a format the rest of the world (including myself) can read. It's been almost 5 years and that data format is long from showing up. 3 fields: url, user, pass. That's all.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2019
    Options

@nathanh0

I do get it, and I am aware.

Having a 1PIF won't be much different for you. if you have dozens of password columns, you're going to have dozens of passwords to deal with in a 1PIF.

And the rest of the world cannot read 1PIF - some password managers can.

Leaving a password manager is a one-time event. You've already decided to leave (or there would be no issue). You do have access to your data, perhaps not in the format you want (but you're leaving). AgileBits has promised not to lock you in. They never promised to pave your exit path with gold bricks.

I don't work for AgileBits. I'm just a customer like you. Perhaps a little more understanding.

This discussion has been closed.