Passwords order in iOS is different from macOS

Options
ezaritov
ezaritov
Community Member

Let me start from an example. Here are 2 records I have in 1Password for "domain.com" (in reality, I have >15 for the domain - as this is my work domain and I have a lot of various services there, with main domain same and difference in third level domain):
1) jira.mydomain.com
2) wiki.mydomain.com
This is how the website URLs are saved in 1Password.

Now, when I'm on desktop (macOS, safari) everything works fine:

• I visit jira.mydomain.com, the first record will be the proper one - for jira.
  • When I visit wiki.mydomain.com, the wiki record will be the first one.

When I use mobile app on iOS, the order is different - it looks like it does not take into account full domain, but rather main domain and then sorts alphabetically. Taking into account that I have >15 records for the main domain and the only different is in 3rd level domain (jira. , wiki. , mail., ...), wiki is always at the bottom - which is very annoying.

I suggest to have same order of sorting for both iOS and macOS and take into account 3rd level domain. In other words, the closer the URL is to the one that is in 1Password record, the higher in the list the suggestion should be.

Comments?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ezaritov: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! I appreciate the examples, but without more details I have no frame of reference. Can you elaborate on this?

When I use mobile app on iOS, the order is different

What order? Could you please clarify exactly what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. It would be helpful to know not only the URL for the login you're referencing, but the URL for the website you're visiting, since 1Password is matching against that. I suspect that's the key. Thanks in advance!

• ezaritov
    ezaritov
    Community Member
    Options

Sure! Here it is.

This is desktop app. 2 pics:

Here you can see that depending on the domain - jira.wildapricot.com or wiki.wildapricot.com - the order of passwords is different. It's proper and convenient: for jira it gives jira record at the top, for wiki - wiki one.

No to the same scenario, but in mobile app.
    Opening wiki.wildapricot.com and then invoking 1Password extension to fill in password:

Here you can see that at the top the password is for jira.wildapricot.com, not wiki.wildapricot.com. The wiki one is at the bottom (sorted alphabetically, I guess).

Very same order is when I go to jira.wildapricot.com:

As you can see, it looks like in mobile app the algorithm of sorting available password for current domain is different from desktop. Not convenient, looks like a bug.

Is it clear now?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

@ezaritov: Thank you! Just to make sure we're on the same page though, are these the exact URLs you have saved in all of those login items?

jira.wildapricot.com
    wiki.wildapricot.com

Also, do you have "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites" enabled in 1Password for Mac Preferences > Browsers? I'm trying to reproduce what you're seeing. Thanks!

• ezaritov
    ezaritov
    Community Member
    Options

For jira:

For wiki:

Settings on desktop app:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ezaritov: Perfect! Thank you for letting me know, and for your patience! So each one is the same subdomain.domain.tld then. I'm not able to discern a pattern here, other than 1Password for iOS seems to be correct in the alphabetical sense. We'll figure out what's causing this. Thank you for bringing it up! :)

• ezaritov
    ezaritov
    Community Member
    Options

Great thank you! Will be waiting for you're reply. As I said, for iOS app I would expected at the top to see a password that closely matches my current webpage url (desktop does it apparently) - instead, it sorts all the records just alphabetically and this create an inconvenience. Thanks for looking into this!

And, by the way: we're neighbours :) we're are 144 Front St West, University and Front intersection :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ezaritov: Ha! Nice! I'm not personally in Toronto, but feel free to drop us a line at support@1password.com if you'd like to stop by sometime. Eventually I'm sure I'll end up there too at some point. :)

I owe you an apology though. While discussing this with a colleague trying to get a better sense of the issue, they pointed out that I fundamentally misunderstood the point you were trying to make in the first place. I'm sorry about that, and for making this more complicated than necessary in the process. This is actually pretty simple, and I hit on it earlier inadvertently in trying to troubleshoot this:

1Password for iOS has the same behaviour as 1Password for Mac does with "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites" enabled. It just doesn't have a setting for that. So what you're seeing is all matches for the domain being treated equally.

This doesn't come up much, but I agree that it is confusing -- clearly demonstrated by yours truly! I'm not sure what the solution is, as this is historically a pretty confusing and divisive issue on the Mac even though it has an option for this behaviour, but it's something we'll continue to evaluate. Thanks again for putting up with my earlier misunderstanding. :blush:

• ezaritov
    ezaritov
    Community Member
    Options

No problem! Probably, you can make the same setting into iOS app as you have on Mac. But I’d prefer if you just make sorting smarter so it takes into account proximity to URL automatically - especially when there are different third level domains.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ezaritov: Yeah it's a tough one. On the one hand, adding additional settings gets cumbersome, and can cause a lot of confusion when people change them and forget. I've done this plenty of times myself. On the other hand, though it doesn't come up much, I agree that it can also be confusing to have things sorted differently between the two. But at the same time, if we simply change it to the way it works by default on the Mac, many people will wonder 1) why it's different suddenly and 2) what's up with the order (as it would no longer be purely alphabetical). I'm not sure what the solution is, but it's something worth discussing. Thank you! :)

ref: OPI-4435

• craig_francis
    craig_francis
    Community Member
    Options

I think I'm in the same situation (with 42 logins for a single domain).

Unfortunately I can't take a screenshot to show this behaviour at the moment (because the current Mac v7 beta has a bug that's broken this).

When the Mac version found 1 or more logins with an exact match (FQDN), it would show those logins first (with an option to "Show X more items", so you could still see all of the logins for the Top Level Domain).

Otherwise, if there were no exact matches, it would just go with the Top Level Domain matching (i.e. list them all, as the iOS client does at the moment).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Since 1Password for iOS does not have sorting options, any matches are listed alphabetically. Otherwise it would seem like a confusing mess to most people. We can definitely consider adding that in the future though, and at that point it may make more sense to do something like this. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• sgraf
    sgraf
    Community Member
    Options

Are there any news on this? I’m having the same problem, lots of logins on sub domains.
    It’s a pain to scroll and scan for the proper entry. I started to use Bitwarden on the side, because it lets me match entries precisely as needed. It would be great to implement that feature into 1P if possible.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Nothing to announce at this time. We my be able to tweak the extension interface in a future version...but why are you scrolling? There's a search box right at the top. ;)

This discussion has been closed.