Firefox 57 and 1Password4 running on Linux [Requires .NET 4.6.1 or later support]

Options
zwobot
zwobot
Community Member
edited November 2017 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello,

i need to run 1Password on wine. Since FF 57 (official build i'm not able to use the Browser extension anymore. It is greyed out all the time. What I tried so far:

• installed latest extension for FF
  • installed .NET 4.6.2 to enable Native Messaging Protocol in 1Password

Debugging the Extension gives following Error messages:

No such native application 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password  NativeMessaging.jsm:100

this.NativeApp</this.startupPromise< resource://gre/modules/NativeMessaging.jsm:100:9

[CHROME:NM] Port <[object Object]> disconnected: No such native application 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password  global.min.js:234:122

[AGENT] Connection [object NativeMessagingConnection] disconnected.  global.min.js:99:201

1Password detected a high number of disconnections from the browser extension to the main application between Wed Nov 15 2017 11:36:26 GMT+0100 (CET) and Wed Nov 15 2017 11:38:06 GMT+0100 (CET)  global.min.js:234:470

[AGENT] Connection [object NativeMessagingConnection] disconnected. global.min.js:99:201

Google Chrome running nativly on Linux is able to connect to the 1Password service while Native Messaging Protocol and the extension is working fine. So the Native Messaging is basically working.

What it diffrent with FF57 compared to Chrome? Are there some Firefox settings I missed? Maybe someone already figured out is willing to share.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: Debian 9 (wine)
Sync Type: Local/Private Cloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zwobot: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! You may be able to get 1Password running under Wine, but this is wholly unsupported. It wasn't designed for that use, and there just isn't any way for us to account for the vagaries of your specific setup. Chrome and Firefox are using the same Native Messaging implementation, so I'm not sure why Firefox would be broken on your system. We have, however, introduced 1Password X (just today, actually), a new Chrome extension that is fully supported on Linux and works with 1Password.com memberships, and you can try that for free for 30 days.

• zwobot
    zwobot
    Community Member
    Options

Hello brenty,

thank for your answer. I'm fully aware that it is not officially supported by agilebits and i did not expect to get a offical support from the vendor. I know that more people running 1password on wine and want to exchange with the community. Unfortunately the new 1Password X and the cloud based 1Password subscription, does not meet my requirements:

• local data storage (data need to be accessible offline and can be synced offline)
    • i want to choose where my data is stored when it comes to cloud services (it is not only a matter of trust it is also a matter of dependencies)
    • no subscription model

Is something planned that the account based cloud service is optional in furure?

Best,
    zwobot

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @zwobot,

1Password X relies heavily on the security model of our 1Password.com service, so this isn’t likely to change. It doesn’t have access to files on your hard drive or local sync services. There is no simple, secure way to add support for local vaults.

As you can see, we are exploring different ways to bring 1Password to different platforms, but I do not have anything to share about the support for local vaults in 1Password on Linux at the moment. I hope for your understanding.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• geneliverman
    geneliverman
    Community Member
    Options

Is the new 1Password X or another version going to support Firefox on Linux? I just tried the normal and beta from https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions with Firefox 57 on Linux Mint and it didn't work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@geneliverman: 1Password X supports Chrome. We'd like to port it to Firefox as well, but give our 1.0 release was just last week and we still have some work to do there I can't say when that might happen. Keep an eye out! ;)

• krackle
    krackle
    Community Member
    Options

I'm in a similar position as the OP. I have multiple devices running different OSes, and one of them runs Xubuntu. I have never gotten the Firefox extension to work with 1Password 4 running in Wine, even before v57 - not sure why. The Chrome extension does work. If anyone has gotten it to work in FF, I'd love to know how.

Yes, I'm aware running the standalone app on Linux isn't officially supported - but I don't understand why FF wouldn't work regardless, since Chrome works. It'd be nice if the extensions were open source so someone could investigate and fix it, without taking too much time from the AgileBits team.

• MikeT
    edited November 2017
    Options

Hi @kracle,

Thanks for writing in.

My post here will explain why that is the case. 1Password extension for Firefox only support Native Messaging and the Chrome extension does both WebSocket and Native Messaging.

Native Messaging support in 1Password 4 requires a separate process that we reused from 1Password 6, it's a .NET compiled file. Unfortunately, on Linux, .NET isn't that fully supported. If you can figure out how to get .NET 4.6.2 running via WINE, it may be able to launch the process as such but it is kind of fragile.

We are phasing out support for Websocket in all 1Password apps including 1Password extensions. That does mean at some point in the future, the 1Password extension for Chrome won't work on Linux and will require 1Password X.

• bric3
    bric3
    Community Member
    Options

Lol the support page is almost a copy of what David Pollak then I, wrote years ago... Article still on David's blog, or stackexchange or my blog. And way before this support page ever existed. You could have given some credits...

https://blog.goodstuff.im/1password
    https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/187273/1password-wine-on-linux-mint

Anyway removing websocket that's a pity for compatibility for us poor linux users.

After sone investigation and a bit of playing around I found a way to make Firefox 58 run Native Messaging executable. So the extension is not grayed out but still, the extension does not work.

If I find the real solution I'll update my answers in stackechange. In the meantime, it's research to make this work.

So to install .net, quite easy : winetricks -q dotnet462, make sure however that every wine software is stopped (including the agent). (If it doesn't work check winetricks, like issue 812)

Also install eventual lib that wine may need such as lib32-gnutls, e.g. on archlinux sudo pacman -Syu lib32-gnutls.

Then create this file ~/.mozilla/native-messaging-hosts/2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json with the following content :

{
        "name": "2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password",
        "description": "1Password",
        "path": "/home/username/1password.native-messaging.sh",
        "type": "stdio",
        "allowed_extensions": [
            "onepassword4@agilebits.com"
        ]
    }

And this file : ~/1password.native-messaging.sh with this content, this indirection is necessary as Firefox doesn't quite like spaces in the path.

#!/bin/sh

wine /home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/1Password\ 4/1Password.NativeMessagingHost.exe

Then at this point I'm stuck. There's no error, it just dosn't work.

Running the .net native messaging binary gives a few logs, but I'm not sure this is going anywhere :

➜  ~ /home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/1Password\ 4/1Password.NativeMessagingHost.exe
    0064:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({319dc449-ada5-50f7-428e-957db6791668}, 0x10023b10, 0x10071b20, 0x10071b38) stub.
    0064:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventSetInformation (deadbeef, 2, 0x10003159, 28) stub
    0064:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({319dc449-ada5-50f7-428e-957db6791668}, 0x817db0, 0xca8050, 0xca8068) stub.
    0064:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventSetInformation (deadbeef, 2, 0x6405ed, 28) stub
    0064:fixme:kernelbase:QuirkIsEnabled3 (0x32f4a8, 0xffffffff) stub!
    0064:fixme:process:GetNumaHighestNodeNumber (0x32fbe0): semi-stub
    0064:fixme:thread:SetThreadStackGuarantee (0x32fbcc): stub
    0064:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({e13c0d23-ccbc-4e12-931b-d9cc2eee27e4}, 0x920440, 0xca80c0, 0xcb1eb0) stub.
    0064:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({763fd754-7086-4dfe-95eb-c01a46faf4ca}, 0x920440, 0xca81a0, 0xca86c0) stub.
    0064:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({a669021c-c450-4609-a035-5af59af4df18}, 0x920440, 0xcb1818, 0xcb1ec0) stub.
    0064:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({cc2bcbba-16b6-4cf3-8990-d74c2e8af500}, 0x920440, 0xca8260, 0xca82c8) stub.
    0064:fixme:wer:WerRegisterRuntimeExceptionModule (L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v4.0.30319\\mscordacwks.dll", 0x630000) stub!
    0064:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 4 0x1543dc 0x32d054 0x32d6a8 (nil)
    0064:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 3 0x1543c8 0x32d244 0x32d898 (nil)
    0064:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 3 0x1543c8 0x32d244 0x32d898 (nil)
    0066:fixme:ole:CoGetApartmentType (0x32efba8, 0x32efba4): semi-stub
    0064:fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System"
    0064:fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Core"
    0064:fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Newtonsoft.Json"
    0064:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x1547bc 0x32e7ac 0x32ee00 (nil)
    0064:fixme:nls:LocaleNameToLCID unsupported flags 8000000
    0064:fixme:nls:LCIDToLocaleName unsupported flags 8000000
    0064:fixme:nls:get_dummy_preferred_ui_language (0x8 0x32db40 (nil) 0x32db3c) returning a dummy value (current locale)
    0064:fixme:nls:get_dummy_preferred_ui_language (0x8 0x32db40 0x159b08 0x32db3c) returning a dummy value (current locale)
    0064:fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceW (L".",L"Application"): stub
    0064:fixme:advapi:ReportEventW (0xcafe4242,0x0001,0x0000,0x00000000,(nil),0x0001,0x00000000,0x115a3a8,0x115a2bc): stub
    0064:err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"1Password Native Messaging Host started in an unsupported way."
    0064:fixme:advapi:DeregisterEventSource (0xcafe4242) stub

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Lol the support page is almost a copy of what David Pollak then I, wrote years ago... Article still on David's blog, or stackexchange or my blog. And way before this support page ever existed. You could have given some credits...

@bric3: Thanks for the links! "Almost a copy" is a bit absurd if you actually compare them though. I've actually never seen either of those pages before, though I'm familiar with some other similar guides. Perhaps they borrowed from one of you and we ingested some ideas thirdhand in a sense. I'll bring this up with the team to see if I'm mistaken and someone else did knowingly borrow from you. But comparing both I'm not seeing many similarities (apart from paths and commands, which I'm not sure anyone can claim ownership over; certainly we don't: that would be like us accusing you of stealing from us since you used the text of files and menu items we created). And I think that it's clear that we put a lot of work into making our guide clear and informative. I hope that doesn't sound like I'm suggesting yours isn't; it is, but it's meant for a different audience I think. We try to have our support information help users understand the big picture in addition to listing the steps to accomplish a task. And that's the majority of the article.

Anyway removing websocket that's a pity for compatibility for us poor linux users.

I wouldn't denigrate Linux users. It's a respected and powerful OS! But WebSockets...there are a lot of issues there, especially for Windows users. And since 1Password for Windows is, well...a Windows application, we've moved away from that since it helps users avoid connection issues. Nevermind that Native Messaging will be the only way we can connect to browsers going forward.

After sone investigation and a bit of playing around I found a way to make Firefox 58 run Native Messaging executable. So the extension is not grayed out but still, the extension does not work. If I find the real solution I'll update my answers in stackechange. In the meantime, it's research to make this work.

That's very interesting! Thank you for sharing so that others can benefit! :) :+1:

Obviously this isn't something we're going to design for, but we'll see if there are any clues there. More importantly though, which version of .Net are you running? That will definitely be a blocker if you're stuck on a very outdated version.

• bric3
    bric3
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty yeah running the software in wine is kinda no brainer. But at that time the integration within the browser was nowhere to be found before on your support guides ; nothing ever mentionned the agent before, and no-one mentionned the auto-starting of the agent before. And even if credit cannot be attributed to a physical person, the very least would be to mention the community. And on this topic the agile bit guide won't work everywhere because it require an XDG complient window manager, indeed most people will use Gnome or KDE, but XFCE users are just left out ; my proposed approach works for these setups.

I wouldn't denigrate Linux users. It's a respected and powerful OS! But WebSockets...there are a lot of issues there, especially for Windows users. And since 1Password for Windows is, well...a Windows application, we've moved away from that since it helps users avoid connection issues. Nevermind that Native Messaging will be the only way we can connect to browsers going forward.

I understand the problem of websocket issues, but compatibility is never overrated. And what concerns me not that websocket is abandonned, but that Linux users are just left out. And as mentionned in a comment above websocket is being phased out which means that chrome / opera extension will eventually stop working.

1Password is great on so many level, but it's a shame this tool cannot be used seemlessly by people running Linux be it for their work or at home. The same way I definitely would like command line integration for local vaults, it would be developer friendly for people needing to use their secrets in a secure way. But I digress.

Obviously this isn't something we're going to design for, but we'll see if there are any clues there. More importantly though, which version of .Net are you running? That will definitely be a blocker if you're stuck on a very outdated version.

I just installed .Net 4.6.2. One line caught my eye in the log. Although in that case that may comes from my way of starting the .net binary outside the browser context. Note these log lines are sent to stderr.

0064:err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"1Password Native Messaging Host started in an unsupported way."

I'm not that familiar with native messaging, but I could not help notice the stdio type in the manifest. Could that be that wine logging interfere with native messaging ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

@brenty yeah running the software in wine is kinda no brainer. But at that time the integration within the browser was nowhere to be found before on your support guides ; nothing ever mentionned the agent before, and no-one mentionned the auto-starting of the agent before. And even if credit cannot be attributed to a physical person, the very least would be to mention the community.

@bric3: I double checked this: the person responsible for that guide has been using Wine (and Linux) from its inception (not to mention being a long-time 1Password user), so she didn't actually need to read StackExchange to figure it out. We've also had discussions about this on this forum, via email, and internally for years. You'll note there is a hat tip at the end. If you could take credit, we would have done the same for you as well, but we weren't aware of your own work in this area.

And on this topic the agile bit guide won't work everywhere because it require an XDG complient window manager, indeed most people will use Gnome or KDE, but XFCE users are just left out ; my proposed approach works for these setups.

Totally! So it's great that there is a community out there, and that you're contributing to it. We just wanted to make our own guide since we were being asked about this occasionally by our own customers, and found it would be helpful for both us and them. I hope you won't begrudge us that. I have no doubt that others will find the links you shared useful though, so I'm glad that you did. :)

I understand the problem of websocket issues, but compatibility is never overrated.

Compatibility with the supported platform is paramount, not others. "There's an app for that", as they say.

And what concerns me not that websocket is abandonned, but that Linux users are just left out.

Not so. We've got two products that are fully supported on Linux: 1Password X (which works in Chrome) and the CLI app.

And as mentionned in a comment above websocket is being phased out which means that chrome / opera extension will eventually stop working.

In general? No. But with WebSockets, yes, it will. Technology moves forward, not backward. We're focused on the future of browser integration, not the past.

1Password is great on so many level, but it's a shame this tool cannot be used seemlessly by people running Linux be it for their work or at home. The same way I definitely would like command line integration for local vaults, it would be developer friendly for people needing to use their secrets in a secure way. But I digress.

Thanks for the kind words! Our priority, though, for our Windows software, is for it to work well on Windows. There are, of course, freely available command line tools for local vaults already. So we've built one for 1Password.com ourselves since no one else has at this stage. We may have a Linux GUI app someday as well, but right now we're focused on our many existing projects.

I just installed .Net 4.6.2.

Good to know! :) :+1:

One line caught my eye in the log. Although in that case that may comes from my way of starting the .net binary outside the browser context. Note these log lines are sent to stderr.

I'm not that familiar with native messaging, but I could not help notice the stdio type in the manifest. Could that be that wine logging interfere with native messaging ?

It's certainly possible. It's probably something we'll look into more deeply down the road once 1Password 7 is complete, if nothing else because people ask about this occasionally. But right now that app is our focus.

• bric3
    bric3
    Community Member
    Options

After more investigation Firefox sends two paramters to 1Password.NativeMessagingHost.exe :

• /home/username/.mozilla/native-messaging-hosts/2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json
    • onepassword4@agilebits.com

Trying to pass them to the binary, didn't change anything. However after a bit of inspiration
    I rembered that native messaging with firefox didn't recquire the path of the binary, so maybe windows setups used the registry to indicate to the browser where the manifest was, so I looked at the registry and found the key :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mozilla\NativeMessagingHosts\2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password

With the following content

Z:\home\username\.wine\drive_c\Program Files (x86)\1Password 4\FirefoxManifest.json

The path to the original FirefoxManifest.json! Firefox on Windows must pass this path as an argument, I then modified my script to pass this file instead of the firefox argument :

#!/bin/bash

echo "parent: $(ps -o args= $PPID)" >> /home/username/stdout.log
    echo "args: $@" >> /home/username/stdout.log

nm="C:/Program Files (x86)/1Password 4/1Password.NativeMessagingHost.exe"
    manifest="C:/Program Files (x86)/1Password 4/FirefoxManifest.json"

env WINEPREFIX=/home/bob/.wine \
        wine "$nm" "${manifest//\//\\}" \
        "onepassword4@agilebits.com" \

(tee -a /home/username/stdout.log) 2> >(tee -a /home/username/stderr.log >&2)

Now the error message 0064:err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"1Password Native Messaging Host started in an unsupported way." is gone, but this doesn't work any better. I still have errors showing up:

01ae:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({319dc449-ada5-50f7-428e-957db6791668}, 0x10023b10, 0x10071b20, 0x10071b38) stub.
    01ae:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventSetInformation (deadbeef, 2, 0x10003159, 28) stub
    01ae:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({319dc449-ada5-50f7-428e-957db6791668}, 0x817db0, 0xca8050, 0xca8068) stub.
    01ae:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventSetInformation (deadbeef, 2, 0x6405ed, 28) stub
    01ae:fixme:kernelbase:QuirkIsEnabled3 (0x33f4a8, 0xffffffff) stub!
    01ae:fixme:process:GetNumaHighestNodeNumber (0x33fbe0): semi-stub
    01ae:fixme:thread:SetThreadStackGuarantee (0x33fbcc): stub
    01ae:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({e13c0d23-ccbc-4e12-931b-d9cc2eee27e4}, 0x920440, 0xca80c0, 0xcb1eb0) stub.
    01ae:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({763fd754-7086-4dfe-95eb-c01a46faf4ca}, 0x920440, 0xca81a0, 0xca86c0) stub.
    01ae:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({a669021c-c450-4609-a035-5af59af4df18}, 0x920440, 0xcb1818, 0xcb1ec0) stub.
    01ae:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({cc2bcbba-16b6-4cf3-8990-d74c2e8af500}, 0x920440, 0xca8260, 0xca82c8) stub.
    01ae:fixme:wer:WerRegisterRuntimeExceptionModule (L"C:\\windows\\Microsoft.NET\\Framework\\v4.0.30319\\mscordacwks.dll", 0x630000) stub!
    01ae:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 4 0x15278c 0x33d054 0x33d6a8 (nil)
    01ae:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 3 0x152778 0x33d244 0x33d898 (nil)
    01ae:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 3 0x152778 0x33d244 0x33d898 (nil)
    01b5:fixme:ole:CoGetApartmentType (0x32efba8, 0x32efba4): semi-stub
    01ae:fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System"
    01ae:fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Core"
    01ae:fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Newtonsoft.Json"
    01ae:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x15528c 0x33e7ac 0x33ee00 (nil)
    01ae:fixme:nls:LocaleNameToLCID unsupported flags 8000000
    01ae:fixme:nls:LCIDToLocaleName unsupported flags 8000000
    01ae:fixme:nls:get_dummy_preferred_ui_language (0x8 0x33db40 (nil) 0x33db3c) returning a dummy value (current locale)
    01ae:fixme:nls:get_dummy_preferred_ui_language (0x8 0x33db40 0x15e078 0x33db3c) returning a dummy value (current locale)
    01ae:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x15f940 0x33ce4c 0x33d4a0 (nil)
    01ae:fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Numerics"
    01ae:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x163fd0 0x33cd3c 0x33d390 (nil)
    01ae:fixme:combase:RoGetActivationFactory stub: 0x33e844 0x33e8c4 0x33e838
    01ae:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x161a74 0x33c984 0x33cfd8 (nil)
    01ae:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x161a74 0x33cb74 0x33d1c8 (nil)
    01ae:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x161a74 0x33cb74 0x33d1c8 (nil)
    01ae:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x1647c0 0x33cbc4 0x33d218 (nil)
    01ae:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x1647c0 0x33cbc4 0x33d218 (nil)
    01ae:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({2e5dba47-a3d2-4d16-8ee0-6671ffdcd7b5}, 0x4340326, (nil), 0x115b5ac) stub.
    01ae:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventSetInformation (deadbeef, 2, 0x115b57c, 40) stub
    01ae:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({8e9f5090-2d75-4d03-8a81-e5afbf85daf1}, 0x434034e, (nil), 0x115bc0c) stub.
    01b4:fixme:ole:CoGetApartmentType (0x455fc78, 0x455fc74): semi-stub
    01b3:fixme:sync:SetWaitableTimerEx (0x16c, 0x466fe48, 500, (nil), (nil), (nil), 50) semi-stub
    0170:fixme:ole:CoGetApartmentType (0x478fbf8, 0x478fbf4): semi-stub
    01b4:fixme:ntdll:server_ioctl_file Unsupported ioctl 11400c (device=11 access=1 func=3 method=0)
    0170:fixme:ntdll:server_ioctl_file Unsupported ioctl 11400c (device=11 access=1 func=3 method=0)
    0171:fixme:ole:CoGetApartmentType (0x489fb78, 0x489fb74): semi-stub
    01b4:fixme:process:FlushProcessWriteBuffers : stub
    0170:fixme:nls:LocaleNameToLCID unsupported flags 8000000
    0170:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x1656a0 0x478d64c 0x478dca0 (nil)
    01ae:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x16df30 0x33cf1c 0x33d570 (nil)
    01ae:fixme:combase:RoGetParameterizedTypeInstanceIID stub: 2 0x16df30 0x33d6b4 0x33dd08 (nil)
    01ae:fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x33d5e0 (nil)): stub
    01ae:fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceW (L".",L"Application"): stub
    01ae:fixme:advapi:ReportEventW (0xcafe4242,0x0001,0x0000,0x00000000,(nil),0x0001,0x00000000,0x119d810,0x119d724): stub
    01ae:err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Failed to start 1Password and open pipe.\r\n   at AgileBits.OnePassword.NativeMessagingHost.Program.OpenAppStream()\r\n   at AgileBits.OnePassword.NativeMessagingHost.Program.<ListenBrowserAsync>d__12.MoveN"...
    01ae:fixme:advapi:DeregisterEventSource (0xcafe4242) stub
    01ae:fixme:ole:CoGetApartmentType (0x33fcc8, 0x33fcc4): semi-stub
    01ae:fixme:ole:CoGetApartmentType (0x33f9e8, 0x33f9e4): semi-stub
    01b5:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventUnregister (deadbeef) stub.
    01b5:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventUnregister (deadbeef) stub.
    01ae:fixme:ole:CoGetApartmentType (0x33f9f8, 0x33f9f4): semi-stub
    01ae:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventUnregister (deadbeef) stub.
    01ae:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventUnregister (deadbeef) stub.

What's up with this line ?

01ae:err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Failed to start 1Password and open pipe.\r\n   at AgileBits.OnePassword.NativeMessagingHost.Program.OpenAppStream()\r\n   at AgileBits.OnePassword.NativeMessagingHost.Program.<ListenBrowserAsync>d__12.MoveN"...

To be continued...

• bric3
    bric3
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Well after several tries, sometime stupid stuff like exec the wine process I'm still stuck on the pipe creation, unfortunately the stack is fairly limited. I suppose the process tries to contact the 1Password program or maybe the agent via a windows pipe. But for some reason this pipe doesn't work within wine. Without debugging the actual program it's hard to find out what's wrong, not even mentionning the wine environement.

Running sysinternals like pipelist does not work within wine. But I think wine is supposed to support windows pipe ; that's one of the most basic things.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@david_pevsner: Yeah, that appears to be a (really odd-sounding) Wine error not something to do with 1Password. A quick Google search turns up plenty of hits for other Windows apps trying to run under Wine returning fixme:ntdll:EtwEventUnregister (deadbeef) stub. Not particularly informative. :(

This discussion has been closed.