1Password X keyboard shortcuts

I am really enjoying 1Password X on Linux, it's working out great so far!

Any plans to implement keyboard navigation when multiple search results come up? It'd be great to just Ctrl+Shift+X, start typing my search, get some results, then be able to hit Down arrow key to select the entry I want, then Right arrow key to enter into the entry details, then move to the 2FA field and Ctrl+C to copy that to clipboard, then Escape to exit the window and Ctrl+V to paste into the 2FA field on the website, for example.

Thanks for the great work so far!

Karl

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.5.2
OS Version: Ubuntu Linux 16.04.3
Sync Type: 1Password Family
Referrer: forum-search:1password x keyboard

Comments

• karlgrz
    karlgrz
    Community Member

Perhaps that's a poor example, since the extension can Fill the 2FA code for me if I Ctrl+Shift+X then click Fill on the password entry.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@karlgrz: Thanks for getting in touch! So glad to hear that you're enjoying 1Password X! We're also pretty excited about doing even more with it in the not-so-distant future. ;)

Now, I don't believe this is something we've just added, but given how fast things have been changing with 1Password X (and how many different versions I've tested this past month) I could be totally wrong about that. But I am able to perform the action you're trying with just a minor adjustment to keyboard commands:

1. ⌘/Ctrl Shift X
    2. (Type search query)
    3. Arrow down to select an item
    4. Arrow right to go into the details
    5. Arrow down to the "password" field (I'm able to see what's highlighted when navigating)
    6. Enter to "copy", which also dismisses 1Password X

It looks like you're using the beta, same as I am. Does that not work for you?

And indeed, we're always looking into other ways we can improve the accessibility of 1Password X, and keyboard navigation is a great help in that regard. We're limited in what we can do to some extent since we're operating within the constraints of the browser — in this case Chrome and what it allows for extensions using its APIs — but we're always interested in pushing that envelope where we can, so let us know if you have any other requests. Thank you for taking the time to reach out with this feedback! :)

• karlgrz
    karlgrz
    Community Member

Huh, @brenty that is working now, thanks! I swear I tried that and it wasn't working before, could have just been hallucinating or something haha :-) Thanks!

• karlgrz
    karlgrz
    Community Member

Ah ha! I found the case where it's being weird.

So I have two entries in a vault:

• Corporate VPN
    • VPN

When I search for VPN, then hit down, nothing appears to happen on the first down key, but the second one does. Is this expected? I can't find any other cases where that is reproduced (and that case is the one I use it the most, since both my VPN keys need to be entered into modal dialogs outside of the browser).

• karlgrz
    karlgrz
    Community Member

So now I notice that the Corporate VPN entry is already highlighted which is causing the confusion, since I have not really selected it yet so I can't hit Right arrow to get into the details until after I first hit Down (which appears to do nothing since the UI doesn't change, but it does actually put the focus on the Corporate VPN entry). Does that help? It's just a little weird quirk of the UI I think. I'd be happy to try and create a video or a gif if that helps. Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Huh, @brenty that is working now, thanks! I swear I tried that and it wasn't working before, could have just been hallucinating or something haha :-) Thanks!

@karlgrz: Thanks for letting me know! I don't think it's you.

Ah ha! I found the case where it's being weird.
    So I have two entries in a vault:
    Corporate VPN
    VPN
    When I search for VPN, then hit down, nothing appears to happen on the first down key, but the second one does. Is this expected? I can't find any other cases where that is reproduced (and that case is the one I use it the most, since both my VPN keys need to be entered into modal dialogs outside of the browser).

That doesn't make any sense to me. Perhaps we have a bug there. Can you tell me more about these items? What type are they?

So now I notice that the Corporate VPN entry is already highlighted which is causing the confusion, since I have not really selected it yet so I can't hit Right arrow to get into the details until after I first hit Down (which appears to do nothing since the UI doesn't change, but it does actually put the focus on the Corporate VPN entry). Does that help? It's just a little weird quirk of the UI I think. I'd be happy to try and create a video or a gif if that helps. Thanks again!

I think I might know what's going on here. I'll play around with this, and let me know the specifics in case that makes a difference.

• karlgrz
    karlgrz
    Community Member
    edited March 2018

Hey @brenty, definitely feels like a bug, albeit not very serious. It seems like the search results will sometimes highlight the first result, which just looks like nothing happens when I hit Down arrow. But once I do I can hit Right arrow to enter the details section of the entry and navigate around like I expect.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@karlgrz: Aha! Thanks for your patience. I think I understand now. The first item is only appearing to be selected (so its details can be shown), but you have to actually down arrow once to select it in order to actually interact with it (copy the password, etc.) Thank you for bringing this to our attention! :)

ref: b5x-285

• karlgrz
    karlgrz
    Community Member

@brenty yep that's right, sorry for the unclear explanation heh

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@karlgrz: Not your fault. I really appreciate you figuring out a way to communicate that, as I would have had difficultly doing so myself! Pretty weird, but I'm sure we can get that fixed up. :)

This discussion has been closed.