Password

Options
nyc_timothy
nyc_timothy
Community Member

I am extremely DISAPPOINTED with unreliable 1Password 6 because it refuses to recognize the same password that I have been using SAME password for last few years. All of the sudden, out of blue, for no good reason the 1Password 6 decides not to recognize the password (which I have been using so far) I didn't create new password or anything like that. I have BILLS to PAY !!! because of 1Password 6 is unreliable!!! Plus there is no customer support to get immediate help!

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 6.8.7
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nyc_timothy: Thanks for reaching out. I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your post to the Mac category since it doesn't seem to have anything to do with 1Password X.

I am extremely DISAPPOINTED with unreliable 1Password 6 because it refuses to recognize the same password that I have been using SAME password for last few years. All of the sudden, out of blue, for no good reason the 1Password 6 decides not to recognize the password (which I have been using so far) I didn't create new password or anything like that. I have BILLS to PAY !!! because of 1Password 6 is unreliable!!! Plus there is no customer support to get immediate help!

I'm sorry for the confusion there. You're on the customer support forum right now though, and while I can't give you your password — any password — I'm happy to help point you in the right direction if I can. However, 1Password cannot and will not ever "recognize" your Master Password. It isn't stored in your vault; rather, your data is encrypted using the Master Password you setup for the vault, and can only be decrypted using it. It's simply being used as an input to do this transformation, so if it isn't entered exactly, it will not work. 1Password doesn't care what it is, only uses it to try to decrypt things.

(Un)fortunately, as far as assisting you, AgileBits has neither your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly. Please let me know how it turns out.

This discussion has been closed.