Untrusted devices

Options

Hi,
For a fairly long-time user I’m surprised I’ve never come across this situation before but last week I was forced to used a device which I wasn’t familiar with and needed access to my vault. I was reluctant to install the 1Pass software so wondered what my options were in this situation. Is there a minimal install version for untrusted devices or does a USB version exist maybe - similar to PortableApps - which would remove the necessity for installing software?
Many thanks in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@seedy: It is a really good question and does come up from time to time. But the answer is Don't. Portable apps are convenient, but not a secure solution. There is no way to access sensitive information on an untrusted machine without risk. It's just risky. Period. You don't know what the owner of the machine or someone who used it before you has done there.

That said, I can certainly understand that there may be times (a true emergency) where the urgency of accessing data may outweigh the very real risks for you. So while using an untrusted machine to access sensitive data isn't something we'd recommend, it is possible using a 1Password.com account, since that includes the 1Password.com web interface (along with may other benefits). And theoretically you could run the app off of a removable drive, but that would break browser integration. So again, not a use case we advocate for, but it's your data and it's your call. Stay safe out there!

This discussion has been closed.