Can't install 1Password app on Windows 10 - "unable to sign in..."

I am trying to install 1Password app on Windows 10, but I continue to get an "unable to sign in..." message, even though the sign in address, email address, secret key and master password I entered are identical to those used for the 1Password app on my iPhone (which always works fine). These details have all been triple-checked, no error has been made. I also scanned my setup code (using the setup code from the iPhone app), and that did not work either. So why is this obviously-valid information (at least as far as 1Password on my iPhone is concerned!) not sufficient to simply install the app on my PC, and how do I resolve this problem? (Note: I also tried logging in to the 1Password website with the same account info, and that doesn't work either.) Please help, and thank you in advance!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @acefraley: I suspect your Master Password is to blame here and you have a stray standalone vault open on iOS which means your Master Password to unlock on iOS is different from the Master Password for your account, particularly given the website is also giving you trouble. The best way to be sure, though, is to take a look at some diagnostics from your iPhone, so that we can see how you've got things set up there:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Don't post your diagnostics here, but do attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread. This will help us "connect the dots" when we see your diagnostics in our inbox, especially if one of my teammates is faster than me and sees it first.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. If you post that number here, we can use it to hunt down your diagnostics and make sure we get back to you as soon as possible.

Once we see the diagnostics we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks! :chuffed:

• acefraley
    acefraley
    Community Member

Thank you!! I just sent the diagnostics email with attachment and link to this thread, per your very helpful instructions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018

@acefraley: I'm not seeing anything in the inbox from this address. Can you post the Support ID you received as Kate requested? Thanks! :)

ref: FCY-68246-926

• acefraley
    acefraley
    Community Member

Apologies, I overlooked that key detail! The Support ID is QQL-17178-296. Thank you for following up!

• acefraley
    acefraley
    Community Member

I just saw that someone has already replied to my email with instructions, so hopefully I am good to go. If what they are recommending doesn't work, I will add another comment to that effect here... Thanks for all your time and effort on my behalf!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@acefraley: No worries! Just wanted to track down your email to get back to you there, but I'm glad to hear you were already able to get help. Hopefully you're all set, but don't hesitate to reach out again if you need anything else. We're here for you! :)

ref: QQL-17178-296

• acefraley
    acefraley
    Community Member

So I'm back... because unfortunately the instructions provided in the support email I received did not work to solve the problem (or, more likely, I didn't understand them correctly). I replied to the email to that effect and am awaiting a response, but in the meantime I will paste the relevant portions of the email thread here (no names or other identifying info), in case anyone else can help.

This is my response to the original support email (shown below): Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I attempted to follow your instructions, starting by copying the one item in the Primary vault to another vault and then attempting to delete the now-empty Primary vault, but neither my master password (which is the password I use to login to the app on my iPhone) nor my wife's master password (which is the password she established when she setup the family account) is being accepted. Thus we cannot delete the Primary vault.

-----Original Message-----

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and thank you for the diagnostics report from your iPhone and the link to your forum discussion. You have the following vaults -

Primary vault which is NOT part of your 1Password.com account with 1 items Personal vault which IS part of your 1Password.com account with 93 items.
    User created vault which IS part of your 1Password.com account with 39 items.

So as Kate assumed in your forum post, you still have that local Primary vault and its Master Password is opening the 1Password iPhone app. You will need to copy that 1 item across to one of your account vaults and then remove the Primary vault but before you do this you need to recall the Master Password you used for your 1Password.com account.

If you cannot remember I see you are one of two owners of a 1Password.com Families account. You can ask the other owner to recover your account for you and we have a guide to help with this -

https://support.1password.com/recovery/

Once you have your account Master Password to remove the primary vault - Open 1Password app.
    Go to Settings > Vault > Primary > Delete Vault.

Please let me know if this helps or if you have any further questions.

• @acefraley: Since you replied to the e-mail, it's best if we leave you in the capable hands of our teammate that's working with you. When we start trying to solve issues in two separate places it can get fairly confusing and it's always possible one of us won't realize what the other has asked you to do causing some unintended trouble. Hang tight and I'm sure you'll have another reply with some additional info for you in no time. :chuffed:

• acefraley
    acefraley
    Community Member

That makes sense, but unfortunately I'm having a difficult time understanding the instructions. I think I'm following them step-by-step, but it's not working. Hence my posting here! In any event, I'm still going back and forth on that end, so happy to keep it there for the time being... fingers crossed! Thanks! : )

• @acefraley: Never be afraid to ask for help and clarification. After all, it's part of our job to help you understand. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll get there. I'm cheering for you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.