[Feature Request] Login Sync Between App and Extension

The browser extension requires the desktop app, right?

I feel like if I log into either the browser extension or the browser app, it should automatically unlock the other one as well. Right now, I have to login twice (once in my browser and once on my desktop app), which is time consuming and annoying.

Could the 1password team consider this?

Version: 1Password X Beta 1.5.3

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

1Password X, the desktop app is not needed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@netname: Thanks for getting in touch! And sorry for the confusion. Totally our fault, but in time things will be simplified. :)

The browser extension requires the desktop app, right?

The desktop browser extension requires 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows. But 1Password X does not; it runs entirely within the browser, which is handy for situations where people can't or won't install the desktop apps.

I feel like if I log into either the browser extension or the browser app, it should automatically unlock the other one as well. Right now, I have to login twice (once in my browser and once on my desktop app), which is time consuming and annoying. Could the 1password team consider this? Version: 1Password X Beta 1.5.3

It isn't something that's possible now, but definitely something we're looking into adding in the future. In the mean time, as they say, "There's an app for that!" — just install the desktop extension if you want it to integrate with the native apps. Cheers! :)

• deviant
    deviant
    Community Member

@brenty Is it possible to get the normal extension (not x) to show the form fill icon the same way x does (or am I missing a feature setting somewhere)?

I think the better UX of having it show on the page in the field versus having to click the extension icon has kept me with the double login limbo for some time now.

P.S. also saw that this feature is in beta for Mac/Chrome users, any word on Windows/Chrome ETA?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Is it possible to get the normal extension (not x) to show the form fill icon the same way x does (or am I missing a feature setting somewhere)?

@deviant: Not currently, but perhaps in the future. The 1Password desktop extension can fill for you from the toolbar menu, or using the keyboard shortcut: ⌘ \

I think the better UX of having it show on the page in the field versus having to click the extension icon has kept me with the double login limbo for some time now.

Indeed, while it's pretty subjective, some people really prefer that. Thanks for letting us know you like that approach. :)

P.S. also saw that this feature is in beta for Mac/Chrome users, any word on Windows/Chrome ETA?

What we have in beta currently is integration between 1Password X and 1Password for Mac. Once that work is completed, we'd like to do the same on Windows, but I have no idea when that might be. We need to get it working reliably first. :sunglasses:

This discussion has been closed.