Per-account settings for "display"

elyscape
elyscape
Community Member

I have a second user in my Families account set up for myself for my work computer. It has access only to a vault named "Safe for Work", into which I copy items that I want to use on my work machine, after removing things like the OTP secrets from them. The problem is that, when using my personal machine, I see both the regular login and the duplicate login, like so:

Screenshot of 1Password Mini with two entries for GitHub

I could just remove the Safe for Work vault from All Vaults, but I also use that vault for items that I create on my work computer that I want to share with my personal computer (e.g. logins for sites related to work benefits). Having to copy those into my personal vault to make them show up in 1Password Mini on my personal computer is kind of a pain. Instead, I found the "display" setting of the duplicate items:

Screenshot of vault item edit screen with display dropdown active

This seems like the perfect solution: I could mark the duplicate vault items as not to be shown in the browser and the other items would still be available. Unfortunately, it turns out that this setting is stored in the vault item itself and synced across users. As a result, if I set an item to "Never display in browser" on my personal user, it will vanish for my work user as well. It would be nice if this sort of thing could be configured on a per-user basis.

1Password Version: 6.8.7
Extension Version: 4.7.0.90
OS Version: macOS 10.13.3
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@elyscape: I guess what I don't understand is why you made duplicates in the first place. Put the stuff you need access to at work only in the work vault. You will then have access to that at work (shared with the separate account) and at home. Does that help? We don't have any plans to hide "duplicates" because 1Password doesn't make value judgements about items you create. It cannot know which one is the "right" onto display, as that's an arbitrary decision made by a human. :)

• elyscape
    elyscape
    Community Member

@brenty: The main reason is that I don’t want the work system to have access to the OTP secrets. For now I suppose I can just duplicate things both ways. Speaking of, is there a way to create a duplicate item without it having the item history?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@elyscape: Ah, thank you for telling me. Interesting. But so long as it's all encrypted in 1Password, you're not really any worse off if they're included or not — especially since we're talking about just not displaying them; they'd still be present, right?

I know a few people do that and use an additional slot in their family/team to separate work stuff. If you just need one vault, you could even use a guest account. I guess that doesn't quite change much, but I thought I'd mention it in case you'd prefer that.

The "duplicate" feature really duplicates the whole item, so you may want to consider creating a brand new one and just copying over the details you want. For example, if you wanted to not include the TOTP secret. Just a thought.

This discussion has been closed.