Dropbox OS requirements

Options
KizzashRules
KizzashRules
Community Member
edited March 2018 in Mac

Dropbox dropped support for older desktop macs, this kills 1PW sync. Now what? Why no Google Drive option?

(Please don't tell me to update my Mac OS. )

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:drive

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

Dropbox dropped support for older desktop macs, this kills 1PW sync. Now what? Why no Google Drive option?

@KizzashRules: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry if you're having trouble with Dropbox, but we have no plans to add support for additional 3rd party sync services. As you note, when they make changes that can negatively impact 1Password users, and we have no control over that. Fortunately 1Password does not depend solely on Dropbox to sync data.

While unsupported, you could still use 1Password's Folder Sync feature with Google Drive to sync between computers. Just make sure you back up your data continually, as this isn't a use case that's been thoroughly tested. Or use iCloud. Or WLAN Server. If you're running something super old, 1Password.com probably won't be an option for you though.

(Please don't tell me to update my Mac OS. )

I won't tell you then, but anyone else who might be reading this, as it's a public support forum for 1Password: running outdated software in general can be risky, but doing so with an OS is a serious risk — to say nothing of the fact that you'll end up stuck with an outdated browser as well. Lagging behind isn't something we're going to ever recommend, especially given we're ostensibly using 1Password to improve security. Not updating the OS is just putting you at a greater disadvantage, and 1Password cannot protect you from the risks of using software with known vulnerabilities, because it isn't just the good guys who know about them. Stay safe out there.

• KizzashRules
    KizzashRules
    Community Member
    Options

I have used your products since day 1 practically. So, why can I now not move my 1PW fault to my phone and pull from that locally? Why are you FORCING us to use a cloud service?

PS - you guys are the ones that heavily pushed Deropbox usage from day one. So I did. Now they changed. You change. So things change, but I should be able to sync my vault locally if not by cloud and I see no way to do this as I could upload my local Mac vault to say Drive and download to my Android phone, but you then cannot set it to see the vault???? Why?

• KizzashRules
    KizzashRules
    Community Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Apparently I can no longer use 1PW??

I did the online 1PW account free trial BUT I am on 3.8.22 of 1PW locally on my Mac (no I cannot upgrade a 5000$ mac just to get a newer OS) and there is no way for me to apparently move my local vault to my 1PW loud account and sync it from my Android? am I correct? No way for my to upload my vault to your cloud??

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2018
    Options

I have used your products since day 1 practically. So, why can I now not move my 1PW fault to my phone and pull from that locally?

@KizzashRules: You can continue to use the same version of 1Password you paid for with the same setup it has always supported. 1Password hasn't changed in this regard. I'm not seeing where Dropbox has changed their system requirements (still shows Mavericks on their site), but if their service changes that's not something we have any control over.

Why are you FORCING us to use a cloud service?

We're not. Many people use other methods or none at all. Those are both still options, and will be even with 1Password 7.

PS - you guys are the ones that heavily pushed Deropbox usage from day one. So I did.

Yep. Dropbox is a great service and for a long time it was the only way to sync 1Password data between all of our devices.

Now they changed.

Indeed, last year they phased out their old APIs and moved to new ones. They need to do what's best for their userbase and, ultimately, their business.

You change.

In the sense that we continue to improve 1Password and develop it to keep up with the changing security and technology landscape? Absolutely! If we didn't, there would be a lot of people bummed out that 1Password didn't work on their devices using recent OS releases on Macs made in the last decade. And we've also introduced 1Password.com memberships so that 1Password users don't have to rely on 3rd party services to sync their data. Otherwise it would be possible for all 1Password users to be in your situation if Dropbox decided to discontinue 3rd party access to their service entirely. I doubt they'll do that, but if they decide that's the direction they need to go (a la Twitter) they could.

So things change, but I should be able to sync my vault locally if not by cloud and I see no way to do this as I could upload my local Mac vault to say Drive and download to my Android phone, but you then cannot set it to see the vault???? Why?

I'm not really sure what you're saying here, as some 1Password users even now don't use "the cloud" at all and sync locally using WLAN Server, or simply don't sync. It's not something we recommend because it's a terrible experience for most users — and of course since 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted it doesn't depend on the sync service to protect data — but there are options available to you.

Apparently I can no longer use 1PW??

Why not? You can continue using the same OS and 1Password versions together as you always have. They won't stop working unless your computer breaks. You just won't have the benefit of new Dropbox, browser, or security updates.

I did the online 1PW account free trial BUT I am on 3.8.22 of 1PW locally on my Mac (no I cannot upgrade a 5000$ mac just to get a newer OS) and there is no way for me to apparently move my local vault to my 1PW loud account and sync it from my Android? am I correct? No way for my to upload my vault to your cloud??

1Password.com memberships did not exist in 2009 when we made 1Password 3, so no, you cannot use that service without running a recent version of 1Password on a recent OS. You can, however, get a Mac — new, refurbished (my personal preference), or used — for considerably less than 5000$ (even brand new ones are available for less than 20% of that) which will run Yosemite or higher, and therefore 1Password 6. But as I mentioned already, you can use other sync methods instead of a 1Password.com membership. That hasn't changed.

• KizzashRules
    KizzashRules
    Community Member
    Options

Ok.. here is why it is an issue.

I am on an older Mac (it is what it is) that runs 10.7 SO I cannot update to a newer version of 1PW on my Mac and SO some of the options in preferences and settings you demonstrate do NOT exist in 1PW version 3.8.22.

Next, Dropbox stopped supporting older Macs last year at the end of the year and so, DB no longer syncs data with your DB account and local desktop mac. So the ability to sync with DB in MY environment is now not possible.

I cannot use the 1PW online account because of the 2 above issues. Even if I have the latest 1PW for Android, running a local 1PW app that is several generations older does not now allow for syncing - because of the Dropbox issue - as the local app doesn't even have the settings and choices and preferences you mention.

MY SOLUTION that apparently you guys do not explain can be done or even suggest oddly.... I open the local 1Password.agilekeychain and grab all tweaked encrypted .1password files after a certain date (12.8.17 when DB stopped syncing) from /data/default and drop them into my Dropbox account online from the web browser into the matching folder (since sync is now dead in DB for older mac users). And presto, I have the latest 1PW vault data updates. It is a lame manual fix, but it works perfect and costs no $$$. 1PW Android app will obviously still sync with DB online, but since my older mac environment will now no longer sync 1PW mac app data with DB, I have to manually get the tweaked encrypted files up to DB.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@KizzashRules -- we're always glad to see power users creating their own solutions for things, but at the the same time, we want to make sure we're clear that this is NOT a supported option. As brenty mentioned in an earlier reply, the reason we don't suggest such things is that we haven't tested them to work without error. That's not to say it won't work, only that we've not put it through the testing it requires to be confident enough to suggest it to a user base that encompasses everything from sysadmins to your great aunt who grew up in the Great Depression and self-describes as "not a computer person."

On our website and here on the forum, we will always advocate that users stay current with both software and hardware. Yes, that requires the time and money to do so, but we can't recommend anything else, since it IS a risk to run outdated software, particularly operating systems. And the reason we don't have a team set aside to research edge cases for years-old systems/setups and potential solutions for them is because we're focused on making the current iteration of 1Password as good as possible, and supporting the vast majority of our customers who are using more-modern systems than OS X 10.7 ("Lion"), which debuted in the summer of 2011, nearly seven years ago, and which received its final security update from Apple in 2014, nearly four years ago.

I'm not attempting to alienate users who by choose or are forced to use older systems for whatever reason -- but I am trying to explain why we wrote 1password.com accounts in the first place - to eliminate the issues from older, 3rd-party sync APIs and setups. I hope this helps.

This discussion has been closed.